Colorado Unit 3 3rd season????

Mallard

Hey ya’ll, just wondering if anyone in here has spent much time on unit 3 in Colorado? I have a 3rd season Mule deer hunt.
I’ve hunted Colorado in multiple different areas but wanted to try something different. Any direction people can lead me that would be great!!!!
Hoping for a 170” buck but from what I’m reading that maybe a shot in the dark.
Btw Thanks for the add!
Kel

There's not any national forest in unit 3. I kill a good buck in unit 3 most years. 170" is doable, but your going to hunt hard, pass alot of bucks, and have to be ok going home empty handed. They're there. Just beat the brush. You'll be amazed how they can hide in that sagebrush sea.

You’ll have a tough time finding a 170 in there. Only option for big boys is the national forest.
I just got back from scouting the unit and you are not a kidding! I wish I would have done it a month ago so I could return the tag!🤦‍♂️
I seen a dozen bucks and by far the best one was pushing 160. Showed it to a couple of buddies out there and they said for that unit it’s a big one! I’m hating it this yr for sure!

There's not any national forest in unit 3. I kill a good buck in unit 3 most years. 170" is doable, but your going to hunt hard, pass alot of bucks, and have to be ok going home empty handed. They're there. Just beat the brush. You'll be amazed how they can hide in that sagebrush sea.
I’m not afraid to hunt hard! The part I was struggling with is it seemed like a lot of the BLM ground was locked up by private? I have areas that I seen on the public that I feel like should hold deer. That’s the direction I’ll go for now.

160 is a good buck in that unit, but a lot can and will change over the next couple weeks when your season opens. If you can hunt the entire season it will usually get better everyday. If I could only hunt part of the season it would be the last part.

Do you have any pics of deer that you’ve taken that you wouldn’t mind sharing?

You won't see them behind the glass. They're to smart. Think pheasant hunting for mule deer...I'll see if I can dig up some pics tonight. I haven't broke the 170" mark either, but I have seen them. I also ran into a guy who found a 200+" set of sheds. They are there, just very hard to kill.

Yeah that would be awesome to see! Do you have a pic of those 200” sheds? I’d like to see them!
Do you live out that way?

the unit borders a very good unit in Wyoming so if you can hunt close to the border you might be able to find a bruiser going back and forth looking for does because the seasons will be closed in WY. Also having hunted 102 in Wyoming just a little northwest of there defiantly scan the sage brush flats and draws as close as you can. Putting your binos on a tripod will pay dividends in that country.

I shot a small 3 yesterday. Had to get home for my kiddos bday. Should've taken the 4. Definitely sucked this year. I am wondering if the winter kill we have 4-5 years ago had something to do with it. I hope you guys with the 3rd season tag have better luck. Tough year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CZ452Scout
Back