Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Colorado Unit 20 Archery

LFC911

Hello all my name is Larry from KC and I drew a either sex archery tag in GMU 20 this year. I've been hunting in CO OTC for 4 years with a gun and have yet to kill my first elk. My son and I did some scouting a couple of weeks ago and hung a few trail cameras and saw a few elk, bear and mtn. goats. I have tried to reach out to the unit game warden and biologist (Ben Kraft) but they will not return my phone calls. We did see a game warden at one of the trail heads but he said he was on assignment from AK due to the fires and didn't know much about the area. I do realize that there is no hunting with my tag in RMNP but i can hunt in Roosevelt National Forest, so that's where I've been focusing on and using OnX maps to navigate the private. I'm assuming we can hike in and bivy camp in the forest but I don't know if we can camp at the trail heads. A buddy and I are planning to go the week before ML season (which is the Labor day week) and the week after if needed. Anyone that has drawn this tag and has some info and advice would be helpful.

Attachments

• IMG_1460.JPG
    IMG_1460.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 18
  • IMG_1530.JPG
    IMG_1530.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 18
  • IMG_1540.JPG
    IMG_1540.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 18
Yeah, welcome. Should be a great hunt. Never hunted 20, but I’ve been eyeing it. 😃 Please let us know how it goes for you.

Will do, looks like I was one of 3 folks out of 10 that had 2 points to draw out on the non-resident tag, so i feel pretty fortunate and want to give it all I can and learn as much as possible.

Will do, looks like I was one of 3 folks out of 10 that had 2 points to draw out on the non-resident tag, so i feel pretty fortunate and want to give it all I can and learn as much as possible.
Which hunt code did you draw? I’m looking at the report and it looks like it took 6 points for a NR to draw an archery tag.

Looks like that hunt code does have some boundary restrictions, which explains the relative ease of drawing compared to the other GMU 20 hunt codes. The regs aren’t too specific, unfortunately.

Yes I did, the fires ran me out of the area I initially scouted around Glen Haven and had to start from scratch when the season opened. If you draw next year I would definitely check out and maybe hunt that burn area on the unit. Be prepared for a LOT of hikers and get away from trails to get away from then. Everyone was very friendly and had no issues with anti-hunters.

Back