Yeti GOBOX Collection

Colorado Unit 18 Conditions following fire in 2020

The difference is all of 18 was burned and about 10% of 28 was burned.
Oh and there aren't really any "bad fires" in that part of the the country. Needs fire terribly. Lodgepole needs hot fires especially with all the beetle kill in there. 18 was hotter than what you want for the next 30 years but 100 from now it'll be great. 28 has some great edge already. Disruption of fuel continuity from fires is what once upon a time stopped pine beetles

I hiked and glassed a good bit of 18 last year in second rifle otc as a dirty lowlife non resident. I didn't see elk. I found sign, I saw really good pockets they could be in and heard from some resident Backcountry guys that had horses that the elk were in hellholes they didn't want to go into on the west side of the unit. I am an USFS wildland firefighter for 17 years. I can tell you unit 18 was burned hot. However, there are tons of places that didn't get that severity. If you listen to people that have lived in places their whole lives they are always going to think it is armeggedon because anything changed after a fire. The fact is lodge pole forests require stand replacement fires. They are on a century schedule. Not a human schedule. The land management agencies know that now and are trying to balance safety and land restoration. With the build up from a century of fire suppression we are going to have hot fires unfortunately.

Be careful going in those burns to hunt if there is wind, we don't go after fires in there because there is a good chance you're gona get whacked by a tree...and if you do there is no place for a medivac helicopter...newsflash there aren't always helicopters that can hoist you out of the mountain fellas. Be bad asses that chase elk in shitty burn scars until you have to pack a buddy out of there. If you don't have a chainsaw with you to cut a place for a helicopter you are f#"':;. If it is night time there is zero chance they're going to come get you. I love to watch the gritty guys but in the back of my mind is how are you getting out if you get hurt! Gives me anxiety lol
...I also go in those places solo because I am so competent and tough hahahaha

The difference is all of 18 was burned and about 10% of 28 was burned.
Really. If you drive west hwy 40 from Granby to Kremmling do you see north side of hwy burn? It's about 22miles long Did Horn ranch burn? or Indian Peak Wilderness that's in unit 18? I was up 18 tues/wed and seems like FS Ok cattle lease's and cattle did look fat. Sure lot burned. When I was up 18 the choppers (2) where mulching west side of Hwy125 looked like they has some mud slides. I know little about fire as we had one here Black Forest and every day I drive to town, I still see what fire did.

Really. If you drive west hwy 40 from Granby to Kremmling do you see north side of hwy burn? It's about 22miles long Did Horn ranch burn? or Indian Peak Wilderness that's in unit 18? I was up 18 tues/wed and seems like FS Ok cattle lease's and cattle did look fat. Sure lot burned. When I was up 18 the choppers (2) where mulching west side of Hwy125 looked like they has some mud slides. I know little about fire as we had one here Black Forest and every day I drive to town, I still see what fire did.
Sorry haven't been on for a while. I haven't looked at the burn severity mapping to see what it shows. I can tell you that during large fires there are scientists that specialize in all the different areas of forest management and ecology involved in most decisions. As long as the things they want tended to don't distract from life safety it is given a high priority. These same scientists are involved in the burned area repair program. They go through evaluating a lot of areas/things and prioritize some over others with thought to funding, time to accomplish, and probability of success. A fire of that magnitude and severity is not easy to work through in that process and can even cost more than the amount it took to suppress the fire. Sometimes that money just doesn't get there because it isn't as exciting as sending money to an active fire. Or private "environment groups" hold every action up in litigation until the plan the burn area rehab team isn't valid anymore. The locals usually bear the brunt of all of it unfortunately. Land management agencies are one area where contacting a Congressional office makes things happen...

Sorry haven't been on for a while. I haven't looked at the burn severity mapping to see what it shows. I can tell you that during large fires there are scientists that specialize in all the different areas of forest management and ecology involved in most decisions. As long as the things they want tended to don't distract from life safety it is given a high priority. These same scientists are involved in the burned area repair program. They go through evaluating a lot of areas/things and prioritize some over others with thought to funding, time to accomplish, and probability of success. A fire of that magnitude and severity is not easy to work through in that process and can even cost more than the amount it took to suppress the fire. Sometimes that money just doesn't get there because it isn't as exciting as sending money to an active fire. Or private "environment groups" hold every action up in litigation until the plan the burn area rehab team isn't valid anymore. The locals usually bear the brunt of all of it unfortunately. Land management agencies are one area where contacting a Congressional office makes things happen....
The issue was you claimed all of unit 18 burned vs small fire unit 28.

The fire in unit 28 was allowed to burn itself out. It burned from Aug 4, 2020 to Oct 27, 2020.

The fire in unit 28 was allowed to burn itself out. It burned from Aug 4, 2020 to Oct 27, 2020.

https://inciweb.nwcg.gov/incident/6971/[/ [/UR

I don't think the fires in 28 were small. Unit 28 may be a better unit for a while in comparison to 18 with the size and severity of the East Troublesome Fire. You have to admit that there is a big difference in 180,000 acres and 14,000.

Hard to believe none of you mighty nimrods took me up on my slam-dunk offer of easy free meat/deeply discounted llamas. Hundreds of left over either sex tags that never did sell out, a hidden honey of a hole if there ever was one. And the modesty of this crowd is heartening, not a single pm gloating about how easy the pickens were, what with all dem elks and no cover for them to hide in.

Any one have a cheap effective way to get charcoal stains off of 10 oz white canvas? I'm gonna try the Lucille Ball grape stomp technique in a water tank come spring thaw, wish Beth Dutton would come and hop in with me...

We'll get 'em next year, they'll be out in all that lush green re-growth that Toagster planted.

Hard to believe none of you mighty nimrods took me up on my slam-dunk offer of easy free meat/deeply discounted llamas. Hundreds of left over either sex tags that never did sell out, a hidden honey of a hole if there ever was one. And the modesty of this crowd is heartening, not a single pm gloating about how easy the pickens were, what with all dem elks and no cover for them to hide in.

Any one have a cheap effective way to get charcoal stains off of 10 oz white canvas? I'm gonna try the Lucille Ball grape stomp technique in a water tank come spring thaw, wish Beth Dutton would come and hop in with me...

We'll get 'em next year, they'll be out in all that lush green re-growth that Toagster planted.

i was too busy deer hunting in non burned areas to bother looking for elk in 18.

dude, beth dutton is more woman than any man on this forum can handle. watch what you wish for.

i did see an ear tagged cow in 18. probably the last one. someone better bring a bull over from 61 so we can start a "re-colonization" effort and reassure squirrel that all will be well.

I was out 1st rifle unit 18 and outfitters where in. I counted about 6- 6horse trailer plus some stock trailers. I didn't count all trucks with out of state plates but good see them back and that was 2 day before opening.

Me I would turn you for guiding without license.
Do you lack the required info? Corral Creek Llamas llc. Of course you could drop by and slap the cuffs on yourself, let me know ahead of time, I'll make sure to be here.

But if I need recomendations on Grand Lake shopping you will be on my short list to call.

Last edited:
Interesting discussion here. I lived in Grand County for over 20 years. Worked for a few different outfitters in the Troublesome basin during that time. Friends I have talked to (most of us are in our later elk hunting years) have not been back in the basin to hunt, but their children have. Pretty incredible what that fire did, lost one of our former SAR members and his wife in that fire (Rest in Peace, Lyle and Marilyn) Hope all of you hunting that area play it safe and enjoy your time in the backcountry! It's all fun and games till TSHTF!

Interesting discussion here. I lived in Grand County for over 20 years. Worked for a few different outfitters in the Troublesome basin during that time. Friends I have talked to (most of us are in our later elk hunting years) have not been back in the basin to hunt, but their children have. Pretty incredible what that fire did, lost one of our former SAR members and his wife in that fire (Rest in Peace, Lyle and Marilyn) Hope all of you hunting that area play it safe and enjoy your time in the backcountry! It's all fun and games till TSHTF!
I cant imagine what it must be like trying to choose where to go based on threads like this and scores of others! So much disinformation thrown out, some by design, most out of ignorance.

Speaking of TSHTF did you see Parri's crap? Must have been an interesting ride to the T/H for sure. They will be studying that fire at 'forest fire university" for a long while.

I'm going to go on a through trip this summer with the wooly guys and take some side draws and make a week of it. I'm hoping I can find some of that grass that Tog planted for the boys, last time I was in there it was hard to find any grazing and the water was like drinking out of the drip pan on the charcoal grill. Big snowpack this year to give her a good flushing, but we'll see. The riparian ribbons are starting to heal, it all starts there.

I cant imagine what it must be like trying to choose where to go based on threads like this and scores of others! So much disinformation thrown out, some by design, most out of ignorance.

Speaking of TSHTF did you see Parri's crap? Must have been an interesting ride to the T/H for sure. They will be studying that fire at 'forest fire university" for a long while.

I'm going to go on a through trip this summer with the wooly guys and take some side draws and make a week of it. I'm hoping I can find some of that grass that Tog planted for the boys, last time I was in there it was hard to find any grazing and the water was like drinking out of the drip pan on the charcoal grill. Big snowpack this year to give her a good flushing, but we'll see. The riparian ribbons are starting to heal, it all starts there.
I did not see anything concerning Parri. He is a friend as well as at least one of his guides, and we were all on ski patrol at WP/MJ together or at different times and would run into each other occasionally during the seasons. We generally, stayed out of each others turf ! My information is limited as I have only talked to a few since then and have been out of Grand County now for 18 years. (not by choice)

I did not see anything concerning Parri. He is a friend as well as at least one of his guides, and we were all on ski patrol at WP/MJ together or at different times and would run into each other occasionally during the seasons. We generally, stayed out of each others turf ! My information is limited as I have only talked to a few since then and have been out of Grand County now for 18 years. (not by choice)
Welcome to HT.

Unit 18 is fine enough I’m a novice and got into some elk first day of 3rd rifle this past year just based on determined e-scouting. Also saw lots of mule deer and a black bear. Plenty of game for an attainable tag I’d be more worried about the crowds than the burn.

Unit 18 is fine enough I’m a novice and got into some elk first day of 3rd rifle this past year just based on determined e-scouting. Also saw lots of mule deer and a black bear. Plenty of game for an attainable tag I’d be more worried about the crowds than the burn.
One never really graduates from the novice category when hunting elk, imo! I fear the speed with which information permeates the hunting masses has made hunting more difficult and am glad I got to see those beautiful animals in their bedrooms when I was younger!

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back