PEAX Equipment

Colorado unit 15 cows

SoCalHuntr

I have a cow tag for 2nd rifle season, cow elk. Unit 15 in Colorado. I have a general heading for the Sarvis wilderness area. Just wondering if anyone has experience in the unit or that area. Haven’t decided which direction I will hike in from. I think that may depend on weather. I will be getting set up for camp 1 day before, probably going to be a solo hunt, since I don’t want to fight the crowds I expect will be in the southern part of the unit. Any advice is welcomed.

Also a side note. I notice OnX has summer range and winter range and migration corridors for elk. Are these generally accurate or are the data sets outdated?

Obviously I’m not asking for a location. But I will be new to this unit and that area so tips on what conditions there will be end of October, and as stupid as it sounds what the cow elk want during this time. Just food and water, or shelter as well. Bull habits will be different and that all I ever see. What should I expect from cow elk ?

Also a side note. I notice OnX has summer range and winter range and migration corridors for elk. Are these generally accurate or are the data sets outdated?

My guess is this is the same data you can get off of the Colorado Parks and wildlife website. If it is that same data I would consider it to be mostly accurate. I don’t know a thing about unit 15 but in other parts of the state where I have hunted it has not been far off of the mark. I do not know how often they update that info Which is why it may not be entirely accurate. One area I found there to be zero elk one year when it was supposed to be smack dab in the center of summer concentration, however drought conditions were involved so nothing was normal. Good luck!

I have hunted unit 15, four years in a row back in the early 2000s. The unit was featured in a magazine article a few years back and now it has been hunted hard. The elk herds are tiny 5-10 animals separated by miles of thick old growth forest. I would hunt private public boundaries and see if you can find a group feeding off a private land and bedding in public. I would hunt the west side of the unit. The wilderness area has elk but that is more a sanctuary area like Randy likes to call it. Watch out for the road hunters. Good luck.

From a person that has hunted this unit hard the past 4 years...good luck finding a way from the crowds. Wilderness (and burns) have obviously attracted you, and a thousand others. I've hunted the south-side, I've hunted the wilderness, and I do not go there any longer. There are elk there but I've traded it for the one of the most popular units in the state and don’t regret it. Interpret that as you may...

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Iceman1992
Back