Colorado trail?

Phaseolus

I’m kicking around the idea of section hiking The Colorado Trail this summer. Walking it in 3-5 day chunks. My Wife walked it 25 years ago and has agreed to do the shuttling. Anybody else done any long distance backpacking?

3-5 day chunks over the course of the whole summer? how many miles do you anticipate completing in a 3-5 day chunk?

how many chunks do you plan to do over the course of the summer?

i realize logistically for most people it's just really unrealistic to take off all the time to do it in one go. but for me personally, i would really feel that there is no comparable experience than to just doing the full thru hike. no i haven't done the CT, but i'm still planning to.

Right now I’m not sure my 63 year old knees can do it in one pull. I do like the idea of a through hike. I’m retired so time isn’t really the issue.

My wife and I have done Denver to spring creek pass over the last three summers, will finish home to Durango this year.

Do it, at whatever pace works for you.

I broke my tibial plateau at 27 and have had one bad knee since. Invest in trekking poles if you don't already have them for packouts.

Last edited:
3-5 day chunks over the course of the whole summer? how many miles do you anticipate completing in a 3-5 day chunk?

how many chunks do you plan to do over the course of the summer?

i realize logistically for most people it's just really unrealistic to take off all the time to do it in one go. but for me personally, i would really feel that there is no comparable experience than to just doing the full thru hike. no i haven't done the CT, but i'm still planning to.
I figure with an ultralight setup I can do 18 miles a day, how many chunks in a summer? We’ll have to see.

I hiked the AT in 1966. It wasn't as long as it is today. Only 2,000 miles back then. Ha. The key for me was starting slow each day and then after I warmed up I would increase my pace to around 3 miles an hour. Also, when I got tired, I rested or stopped for the day. On a three to five day section hike, unless you are in great shape, I would try for 8 to 10 miles a day. The most important part is to have fun.

I’ve hiked sections of it. Usually with a bow in hand. Hope to find time to go start to finish some day. I would echo what was said above about limiting to 10ish miles per day. There are some steep grinds that are one reason to limit yourself but more importantly, I can’t see the enjoyment in rushing through it.

I have a friend whose family decided to do section hike on the Pacific Crest Trail. There were 14 of them ranging from his 72-year-old dad to his 9-year-old daughter. The plan was to take 7 days, hiking each day from early morning until the afternoon then sitting around, relaxing and enjoying each other's company for the rest of the day. They overestimated what they could easily do in a day and the whole thing turned into a forced march, reminiscent of his marine corps days, with everyone too tired to do anything but hike, eat, sleep. Nobody enjoyed it.

The moral of the story: slow down, smell the wildflowers and make enjoyment the goal rather than a goal of accomplishing some specific distance.

I have a friend whose family decided to do section hike on the Pacific Crest Trail. There were 14 of them ranging from his 72-year-old dad to his 9-year-old daughter. The plan was to take 7 days, hiking each day from early morning until the afternoon then sitting around, relaxing and enjoying each other's company for the rest of the day. They overestimated what they could easily do in a day and the whole thing turned into a forced march, reminiscent of his marine corps days, with everyone too tired to do anything but hike, eat, sleep. Nobody enjoyed it.

The moral of the story: slow down, smell the wildflowers and make enjoyment the goal rather than a goal of accomplishing some specific distance.
Good advice, I’m not in a hurry and sitting here in my warm chair it’s easy to dream of putting on the miles.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dalton14rocks
Back