Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Colorado Tag Question

bmontang

I plan on calling a hunt planner when they open but thought I would also ask here.

My son is going to be in camp for second rifle until he flies back on Thursday. If he harvests an animal and we do all the proper tagging what else needs to be done for me to haul his elk back home? I know when I have hauled other guys ducks for example I have to have a note with their info on it - name, address, license info, etc. Is it the same for CO big game? I don't want him to have to check coolers full of elk on his flight back.

Not sure about that but just be sure you know exactly what to do with tagging the animal. CO's regs are written a little goofy and from what I've gathered, the best thing to do is to attach your tag to a big chunk of meat. Preferably the chunk with the evidence of sex attached to it. Don't put your tag on the antlers.

have lots of pictures of him with the animal, pictures of him with the tag, pictures of him with the tag on the animal, maybe evidence of of his flights, copy of his driver's license

and just have the tag with you with the meat

it's overkill to be that prepared, but better than the alternative. overall i wouldn't worry much as long as you have the tag with the meat

Not sure about that but just be sure you know exactly what to do with tagging the animal. CO's regs are written a little goofy and from what I've gathered, the best thing to do is to attach your tag to a big chunk of meat. Preferably the chunk with the evidence of sex attached to it. Don't put your tag on the antlers.
As I was told by a warden, it is called a carcass tag, not an antler tag. If you use game bags zip tying to a game bag is what I do.

I plan on calling a hunt planner when they open but thought I would also ask here.

My son is going to be in camp for second rifle until he flies back on Thursday. If he harvests an animal and we do all the proper tagging what else needs to be done for me to haul his elk back home? I know when I have hauled other guys ducks for example I have to have a note with their info on it - name, address, license info, etc. Is it the same for CO big game? I don't want him to have to check coolers full of elk on his flight back.
I'm curious to hear what the hunt planner tells you. Sometimes I have my brother take my meat down to NM to his processor and I want to make sure i'm not doing anything wrong. Also, what exactly is considered the carcass when you quarter an animal to pack it out? The hind quarter that has the evidence of sex on it?

Full procedure.

1. When you receive your license in the in the mail, sign the line 1 on your license, do not sign line 2.
1599143769511.png

2. Upon killing an elk, before taking photos, butchering etc, sign license on line 2 and notch day, month, sex of animal.

3. Take photos

4. Field dress your elk, leaving proof of sex natural attached to carcass. if you quarter the animal you must leave penis, testicles, vulva, or udder attached.

I usually bone out all my elk, I usually skin out the testicles or udder/ vulva and leave them/it naturally attached to a hind quarter.

5. Attach carcass tag to animal.

I usually carry 2 zip ties with me into the field, I use one to attach my carcass tag to the hindquarter with evidence of sex, usually around the large tendon, the other I attach to the outside of the game bag with this hindquarter.

Remi Warren How to Bone out a Hindquarter
1599144630825.png

6. Pack out, the zip tag bag with carcass stays with the majority of the meat, during the pack out. Head comes out last with my camp, you must pack out a bulls head in most units (antler point restrictions proof of compliance)

If someone else is taking possession of your meat for processing or transport

7. Copy all the information from the first panel of your license, CID, Address, DOB, phone # etc. and sign it. I like to take a picture of the signed license and signed carcass tags side by side to show the same signature.
The carcass tag stays with the meat, the license goes with the hunter.

8. If transporting out of state clean skull or skull plate of all tissue to be compliant with CWD rules and regulations.

Regulations vary a bit state to state, but other than completely cutting out rather than notching the above is legal everywhere I've hunted. Some states state tag must be attached to largest portion of meat hence hindquarter is always the best spot. (Some AK units don't allow boning out, some eastern require animal comes out whole.

Last edited:
There is a section in the regs about this.
I read that section and it was not clear. I get the transporting of game section, but that seemed to be if the hunter is with the game. In this case he is flying out and I am driving back.

I read that section and it was not clear. I get the transporting of game section, but that seemed to be if the hunter is with the game. In this case he is flying out and I am driving back.
Make it easy like others have said, tag according to the law and then take video/pictures. Take a pic of his license, signed, with his drivers license in the picture and hunter safety card. Then take a picture of him with the signed tag, and then one of him with the elk. DONE

7. Copy all the information from the first panel of your license, CID, Address, DOB, etc. and sign it. I like to take a picture of the signed license and signed carcass tags side by side to show the same signature.
The carcass tag stays with the meat, the license goes with the hunter.

8. If transporting out of state clean skull or skull plate of all tissue to be compliant with CWD rules and regulations.

Regulations vary a bit state to state, but other than completely cutting out rather than notching the above is legal everywhere I've hunted. Some states state tag must be attached to largest portion of meat hence hindquarter is always the best spot. (Some AK units don't allow boning out, some eastern require animal comes out whole.

I did not see steps 7 and 8 in the book. I just spoke with Larry a hunt planner and he said to tag it per normal process (he clarified the carcass tag should be on the quarter with the tesitcles attached which is new infor to me) and have a copy of the other hunter's license (photo on phone will work), and a note from the other hunter saying I am hauling it for him.

Pretty easy, not let's hope I am not hauling an extra helping of tag soup this year instead...

I did not see steps 7 and 8 in the book. I just spoke with Larry a hunt planner and he said to tag it per normal process (he clarified the carcass tag should be on the quarter with the tesitcles attached which is new infor to me) and have a copy of the other hunter's license (photo on phone will work), and a note from the other hunter saying I am hauling it for him.

Pretty easy, not let's hope I am not hauling an extra helping of tag soup this year instead...

They are not spelled out specifically in the brochure for CO.

State statutes do set requirements for big game processors
1599148127221.png

CWD, there were specific transportation rules but these were removed in Colorado. That being said at the point most states have importation regulations, so #8 is not so much how to be legal in CO as how to be legal in your home state when you drive or fly across the border.

So yeah, tag on animal, license stays with him, make it clear the intent is to transport, but also make it clear your son isn't donating the meat to you, or you would also have to put your "like tag" on the animal too.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sea Rover
Back