Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Colorado ski partners wanted

It seems more people die in the side country run off the top of Park City than they do in the Wasatch back country each year. Last year was an exception, but that was due to a single slide that took 5 lives. “Only” lost 2 on the side country run.

1643346843999.jpeg

This is an old pic. They decided to permanently close the gate at the beginning of this season. Doesn’t mean that people don’t still ski it, but it’s an instant pass revoke if you’re caught going under the rope either exiting or entering back into the resort.

The reason I think so many people die in the side country is not because it’s more dangerous than skiing backcountry. I think instead it’s ease of access. People willing to skin up 2,000’ of vertical generally tend to be better trained and equipped than some punk kid jumping off a lift and hiking a few hundred feet out a ridge line. Darwin doesn’t always win, but sometimes he does.

And I was just busting @DouglasR’s balls suggesting that out of bounds run at Copper. #SafetyFirst! 😆

Creepy news out of Copper yesterday:

@DouglasR - if you are into good beers (particularly IPA's and Belgian styles) - Outer Range might be the top brewery in the state and is having their 5th anniversary party tomorrow:

I normally make the anniversary party and its usually a blast, but son has baseball tomorrow afternoon. PM me if you get over there, I won't be able to pick up my free monthly 4-pack, but it's all yours if you want it (I am allowed to send a proxy).

What were you riding at DV last year?
Either Nordica Enforcer 100’s or Fischer RC4 Worldcup slalom skis. Pretty big difference between them…

6F68CA2E-0940-4F31-9278-4503EB109DD6.jpeg

The Fischer are super quick and fun for serious carving on the groomers, but are about worthless in powder. The Nordica’s are a great all mountain, all condition ski.

Those Armada’s are actually for my son who wanted more of a powder and freestyle ski. They are way too hip for me! 😆

I also have these 1930’s vintage Harvey E Dodd Chalet’s…. 😝

80294DB8-0E3A-4AB1-9EB0-8FEB99E43E02.jpeg

Last edited:
Tell me more...
Outer Range Brewing (in Frisco, CO) has a membership club where, amongst other perks, you get a free 4 pack each month (~$14-20/4 pack), but it doesn't roll over month to month. I never made it there in January since both times we went over the hill this month we had to take the alternate route (US40) due to storms/traffic. They allow members to designate a proxy if they can't make it.

The best perk of the club membership (I think this year they sold out in a few hours after renewals were processed) is the 'Golden Ticket' - 1 day a year of your choice, you present your ticket and you and a +1 drink free all day (plus $30 in food credit at the awesome Thai chicken place inside the brewery). For 2021, a buddy of mine flew out in December for the weekend and between him and I we opened and closed the joint and basically paid for the membership in one day.

Now back to the thread's regularly scheduled Tinder/JetBoil Spills/OOB skiing content...

Outer Range Brewing (in Frisco, CO) has a membership club where, amongst other perks, you get a free 4 pack each month (~$14-20/4 pack), but it doesn't roll over month to month. I never made it there in January since both times we went over the hill this month we had to take the alternate route (US40) due to storms/traffic. They allow members to designate a proxy if they can't make it.

The best perk of the club membership (I think this year they sold out in a few hours after renewals were processed) is the 'Golden Ticket' - 1 day a year of your choice, you present your ticket and you and a +1 drink free all day (plus $30 in food credit at the awesome Thai chicken place inside the brewery). For 2021, a buddy of mine flew out in December for the weekend and between him and I we opened and closed the joint and basically paid for the membership in one day.

Now back to the thread's regularly scheduled Tinder/JetBoil Spills/OOB skiing content...
Home page isn't selling me. We have a flat-brimmer with hearings, and a weakass 'stach and a knit hat...above the ears? WTF
1643411947330.png

Now back to our scheduled ski stats, lingo I don't understand and vailed tinder stories.

Home page isn't selling me. We have a flat-brimmer with hearings, and a weakass 'stach and a knit hat...above the ears? WTF

Now back to our scheduled ski stats, lingo I don't understand and vailed tinder stories.
Yeah - I don't frequent the joint to mingle with the hipster/ski bum crowd - but their beer is impeccable and it's on the way to basically everywhere in western CO. The upstairs deck where that picture was taken and/or the Yurt in the back lawn are, IMO, the two best "Apres" locations in Summit Cty.

Either Nordica Enforcer 100’s or Fischer RC4 Worldcup slalom skis. Pretty big difference between them…

View attachment 210418

The Fischer are super quick and fun for serious carving on the groomers, but are about worthless in powder. The Nordica’s are a great all mountain, all condition ski.

Those Armada’s are actually for my son who wanted more of a powder and freestyle ski. They are way too hip for me! 😆

I also have these 1930’s vintage Harvey E Dodd Chalet’s…. 😝

View attachment 210419
Yeah it was the Fischer’s.
I want to demo a set of carving skis.

Back