Colorado Seasons

Kiwi

At some point over the next few years I plan to visit CO for an elk & deer rifle combo hunt. Currently I have 3 deer points and 6 elk points.

I have a general question - if you were to do one long trip to CO which rifle seasons would you apply for taking into account the season dates, season duration and time between season etc?

Thinking either elk 1st rifle & deer 2nd rifle or elk 2nd rifle & deer 3rd rifle.

Me it would be first rifle elk and 3rd rifle deer. Better success rate in my opinion. Depending on the unit those may take more points than you have or will have accumulated for deer. 2nd and 3rd rifle elk you have a lot of hunting pressure due to OTC tags. 3rd rifle deer is closer to the peak of the deer rut and you typically see more bucks out cruising. I have hunted 2nd rifle deer with success. Again just my opinion and I am sure there will be others that will have a different one.

With your situation, coming from NZ, I would definitely do 1st elk and second deer. With the dates later now second season is in November, so a lot later than it used to be. Second season elk is normally over the counter and a much harder hunt for elk.

At some point over the next few years I plan to visit CO for an elk & deer rifle combo hunt. Currently I have 3 deer points and 6 elk points.

I have a general question - if you were to do one long trip to CO which rifle seasons would you apply for taking into account the season dates, season duration and time between season etc?

Thinking either elk 1st rifle & deer 2nd rifle or elk 2nd rifle & deer 3rd rifle.
What are your goals, and what kind of experience are you looking for?

With your situation, coming from NZ, I would definitely do 1st elk and second deer. With the dates later now second season is in November, so a lot later than it used to be. Second season elk is normally over the counter and a much harder hunt for elk.
In a vacuum, this is the better plan (assuming you are staying the whole duration), but...

What are your goals, and what kind of experience are you looking for?

What year your going makes a difference also. Somewhere on CO site it tells next 5 year season dates i believe, that could play significant role in your decision. Then i would focus on whats more important deer or elk and then the experiance you want to draw from trip and plan to meet those goals.

I like first rifle elk and then third rifle for deer. There will be about a two week gap in between those seasons tho, so not sure if that works with your plans. In between, you can fish, hunt grouse, scout, etc. Going off the five year season structure, the next best first rifle season is 2024 (earliest dates) but that also makes the third season earlier, which is arguably not as great for deer. So, I'd decide if elk or deer is the focus and go from there. Of course, I'd also look at what your points can get you.

I
I like first rifle elk and then third rifle for deer. There will be about a two week gap in between those seasons tho, so not sure if that works with your plans. In between, you can fish, hunt grouse, scout, etc. Going off the five year season structure, the next best first rifle season is 2024 (earliest dates) but that also makes the third season earlier, which is arguably not as great for deer. So, I'd decide if elk or deer is the focus and go from there. Of course, I'd also look at what your points can get you.
I believe it would be a 3 week gap between those seasons. One down week between each season.

Thanks for the replies! Excellent advice.

I should have said one of my limitations is my trip length is up to one month. Once my kids are older then I plan on doing 2 month trips, and hunt MT and WY with there long seasons.

I’m really a hunt tourist, so it’s about seeing new country, meeting other hunters and having a success hunt by taking a representative deer and elk.

Thanks for the replies! Excellent advice.

I should have said one of my limitations is my trip length is up to one month. Once my kids are older then I plan on doing 2 month trips, and hunt MT and WY with there long seasons.

I’m really a hunt tourist, so it’s about seeing new country, meeting other hunters and having a success hunt by taking a representative deer and elk.
You could try for an Early season deer tag and then 1st rifle elk.

I probably would try 1st rifle elk, and 2nd rifle deer.

I

I believe it would be a 3 week gap between those seasons. One down week between each season.
Yep. For example - this year, 1st is 10/16-20 and 2nd is 10/30-11/7.

There are also the high country/above timberline Deer hunts that might be interesting and within your point range (disclaimer: I haven't looked at those hunts in years so maybe not).
I'd definitely look into 2 very different units then. I love the exploration factor myself and with 10 days between 1st/2nd you could have some interesting adventures between locations.

An entire month? I would probably hunt elk 2nd season, then cross a state line and hunt whitetails somewhere for a week, then come back for mule deer 3rd season.

Alternatively, you could spend all of September in Colorado. Hunt elk and deer for 9 days with a muzzleloader, then bear the rest of the month with a rifle.

You’ll have plenty of points built up for quality tags before Jacinda allows you to leave your country to come to the US to hunt! 🤣 Just messing with you. I’m just mad I couldn’t come hunt tahr last year or this year.

Best chance of success will be hunting the same unit back to back seasons for different species, but that doesn’t maximize the sightseeing factor, and probably doesn’t maximize the utility of your points.

You’ll have plenty of points built up for quality tags before Jacinda allows you to leave your country to come to the US to hunt! 🤣 Just messing with you. I’m just mad I couldn’t come hunt tahr last year or this year.

Best chance of success will be hunting the same unit back to back seasons for different species, but that doesn’t maximize the sightseeing factor, and probably doesn’t maximize the utility of your points.
Yeah, the covid situation is really stuffing up my plans :( I can leave ok but getting back is can be a problem. My wife isn’t too keen for me to hunt a month and then sit in quarantine for 2 weeks.
I just returned from Tahr hunting a couple of weeks ago and my son shot a nice big tahr. Still plenty around if you know where to find them.

Kiwi, consider making it two trips. I think you need to try to trade hunts with a Colorado resident. That might save you from rental car fees and give someone a trip of a lifetime to NZ.

my choice would be 1st Rifle ELK & 2nd Rifle Deer. in different units so you can experience high mountain Elk back pack hunt, and lower sagebrush Mule glassing. **with your points you'll have plenty of choices and will have no problem getting both tags.

i would also suggest adding WY Antelope as in many units seasons run through end of Oct or even into Nov, so time off between CO 1st and 2nd rifles, you can drive up to WY and hunt there.

there's also always NE which is also few hour drive from Denver, and has plenty of OTC opportunities.

and i think i need to go to NZ first as part of this Hunt-Hosting trade :)

my choice would be 1st Rifle ELK & 2nd Rifle Deer. in different units so you can experience high mountain Elk back pack hunt, and lower sagebrush Mule glassing. **with your points you'll have plenty of choices and will have no problem getting both tags.

i would also suggest adding WY Antelope as in many units seasons run through end of Oct or even into Nov, so time off between CO 1st and 2nd rifles, you can drive up to WY and hunt there.

there's also always NE which is also few hour drive from Denver, and has plenty of OTC opportunities.

and i think i need to go to NZ first as part of this Hunt-Hosting trade :)
Thanks! WY antelope is a good option. I have 6 points so could draw a decent unit.

Thanks! WY antelope is a good option. I have 6 points so could draw a decent unit.
why didnt you say you have 6 pts in WY too. in that case i definitely volunteer to throw my 2pt in there as well, i say we average that out to 4 as a group and i do all the driving :) :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back