Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Colorado OTC Bowhunt

ksbow

First off wanted to say thanks for replies to my last post, after doing some research I beleive that I am going to look into OTC unit in Colorado for my first Elk hunt. While I was considering Wyoming or Montana both would be considerable drive, and appears Colorado would be a good place to get my feet wet.

Any advice on OTC areas where a guy could truck camp and hike everyday and get into elk? Not looking for specfic hot spots, just really wanting to see and hear some elk. From a guy who has hunted whitetails all his life would consider any elk a trophy including cow. General information would be greatly appreciated. What dates would you look at? What kind of crowds should I expect during Archery Season? Looking to do a hunt possibly 2014, however more then likely fall 2015. Again thanks for any info and more then willing to share my knoweldge of hunting Kansas Whitetail, for anyone intersting in doing public land hunt in Kansas. Thanks again!

Last edited:
check out areas near Yampa and Steamboat Springs have hunted both.Lots of sign and heard some bugles just seemed to always be to far behind when it counted.

Have considered backpacking in a few miles? Colorado is very busy with hunters even during archery season. If you are truck camping, its hard to get away from other hunters and the elk in those OTC units move alot once they feel the pressure.
As far as units. Ive hunted several different colorado otc archery units. I would suggest looking at any of the otc units in the Durango and Pagosa Springs area. There are lots of elk in ANY of those otc units if you do a little leg work to find them. Ive killed several bulls in the units in that area and never had trouble finding elk

Another good tip... Dont plan your hunt over labor day weekend, especially if you hunt out of a truck camp!!! People everywhere.

take a look at the Rawah Wilderness. It was an nice area when I was there.

if you go that route, I believe its a non-OTC unit.

Also, x2 on labor day weekend. People everywhere, but not all hunters - so most camp areas where I hunted were full.

When I last archery hunted in Colorado I had the best luck the last few days of the season. Calling in younger bulls sermed quite easy. The elk love oakbrush canyons too, but is a real pain to hunt.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back