PEAX Equipment

Colorado or Montana

But like u said could totally depend on where your hunting and if ruts in full swing , many factors . Could u get a 160” , yea . Should you Expect it , I’d say no . Just my .02 cents

Come on 120? That's just straight up disrespectful. If you can't find deer bigger 130-140 in Montana then your doing something wrong.

But like u said could totally depend on where your hunting and if ruts in full swing , many factors . Could u get a 160” , yea . Should you Expect it , I’d say no . Just my .02 cents
I suppose expect wasn't the proper word. My point is if you are a hard hunter, put in the time and know where to go I don't think it's asking to much to find a 150 buck. I guess for a non resident that number would come down without the knowledge.

And that’s exactly why you don’t see many bigger ones. Tough to kill a 180 when everyone shoots them when they’re 140
I don't think a lot of people have the patience. If I can't find a decent 4x4 buck or a management buck then I'm not shooting. I think 180 is asking a little much for general public land. I wouldn't mind seeing a few more draw areas or maybe a 4 point or better rule. With our long season I think montana could certainly do more to improve the age/size class.

I don't think a lot of people have the patience. If I can't find a decent 4x4 buck or a management buck then I'm not shooting. I think 180 is asking a little much for general public land. I wouldn't mind seeing a few more draw areas or maybe a 4 point or better rule. With our long season I think montana could certainly do more to improve the age/size class.
You’re absolutely correct that people don’t have the patience. I get it if people are hunting for meat, shoot whatever floats your boat, but also can’t complain that there’s no big bucks anywhere. I agree, we could do better to improve age/size class but unfortunately I never see that happening as it “takes away opportunity” which is all our FWP seems to care about.

I don't think 180 is too much to ask. Was not that long ago when I could find several every year. Now not so much.

I don't think 180 is too much to ask. Was not that long ago when I could find several every year. Now not so much.
Well I must have missed out on those days. I see 1 or 2 180+ deer on private that I watch from the road every year with the spotter but other then that I figure gotta be very lucky or special permit

During the 80's and 90's I was able to see quite a few 180 class bucks on public land. There was a few time when I would see more than one in the same bachelor group. Can count the 180+ deer I have seen on public since 2000 using the fingers of one hand.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back