Colorado or Montana

Jwhigg18

I’m trying to figure this out.. I’m wanting to build points in Colorado but also hunt Montana. I can only do one mule deer hunt this year and I would like to apply for a Montana general deer tag and a Colorado deer tag. I only have 1 point in Colorado and 0 preference points in Montana. So I know Montana would be a 50/50 chance if that. But I would use Colorado as a plan B since the draw will be after Montana. From what I understand I can’t withdraw my Colorado application if I do draw a Montana tag. I emailed CPW and they told me April 9th is the latest I could go to withdraw the application but Montana’s draw isn’t until April 20th. Any advice is appreciated and Hopefully all of that made since.

You can also try to get a CO tag that is leftover or later on one that is reissued. (Tags that are returned are reissued, lots of threads on the process)

You can buy a point when you apply in MT which should put your odds above 50%.
I did see the option to purchase a preference point. I thought it would be for next years application. So I could purchase a point for the application I’m submitting for this year?

I did see the option to purchase a preference point. I thought it would be for next years application. So I could purchase a point for the application I’m submitting for this year?
Yes. My son and I have both been successful the past two years drawing with just the point bought at time of application. 2019 was Deer only: last year big game combo.

I’m trying to figure this out.. I’m wanting to build points in Colorado but also hunt Montana. I can only do one mule deer hunt this year and I would like to apply for a Montana general deer tag and a Colorado deer tag. I only have 1 point in Colorado and 0 preference points in Montana. So I know Montana would be a 50/50 chance if that. But I would use Colorado as a plan B since the draw will be after Montana. From what I understand I can’t withdraw my Colorado application if I do draw a Montana tag. I emailed CPW and they told me April 9th is the latest I could go to withdraw the application but Montana’s draw isn’t until April 20th. Any advice is appreciated and Hopefully all of that made since.
If you want to hunt deer I’d do Colorado as a primary. Even 2nd rifle will be great this year. Really any unit in Colorado has the potential to see / shoot a giant. We seen several hundred deer a day and had a great time on our 0 point 2nd rifle hunt. I haven’t mule deer hunted in Montana so I can’t give any feedback on that one.

Attachments

• D539C4E8-3353-4A39-8C6D-B46B2C57AF9C.jpeg
    D539C4E8-3353-4A39-8C6D-B46B2C57AF9C.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 49
  • 75B9606A-A388-4831-985D-CCCB75FB30D1.jpeg
    75B9606A-A388-4831-985D-CCCB75FB30D1.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 48
I think the deer combo last year with 0 pref points was around 57% but I see that number increasing . Most guys will buy points IMO

Was 78% for those with a point but if the number of applications keeps rising I believe those numbers will flip

I’ve only hunted Colorado two times but what an eye opening experience vs. Montana.
Hunted it 3 times for elk , not looking for deer at all and have come across some dandy mule bucks . Older class bucks . Not huge but definitely a different class of bucks than I see in Montana not even a comparison

From what I’ve seen in MT, especially the last 6-8ish years is that bucks in that 140-150 class aren’t terribly hard to find if you hunt hard and hunt smart and have time to hunt. There is a huge gap though in the number of deer approaching that 160 class and up or I guess anything around 4 years old or more. Anyone consistently finding 4+ year old mule deer in MT on public is doing something right. Can’t speak for CO...yet, but I’m really looking forward to hunting there.

In my opinion in Montana you could expect to find a 150-160 mule deer depending on where you go and effort put in.
I gotta total disagree . Expect ? No . Expect to see some 120-140” . If you are hunting Public and u see one approaching 150” u best be pulling the trigger .

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sea Rover
Back