Colorado Muzzy Season

Rooster52

I see for 2016 Colorado muzzleloader season starts on 9?10. Should be a great time to be in the highcountry.
Looking at NW Colorado again this next year.,havenot hunted Colorado for 4 years..Looks good to me.

I may do a deer hunt this fall. I seen some real nice bucks when elk hunting.

I like the fact that Colorado has remained firm on keeping the mz hunt more primitive. The open sights, no pelletized powder and bore-sized bullets make the hunt what a primitive hunt should be.

As a guy from NM that hasn't drawn elk yet (3 years trying for "easy to draw" cow tags), I'm certainly thinking about hunting in Colorado.

I love to look into things but the PP system is a bit confusing to me at first glance and I'm hoping someone here can help distill my chances a bit. Is there an OTC or likely draw ML hunt in southern CO that I should look into? I don't care if it is a cow or bull, I just want to hunt and get some meat.

Yes the statistics is a bit confusing. I am calling net week to get some things clarified.i have Pref Points for deer but non for elk.

As a guy from NM that hasn't drawn elk yet (3 years trying for "easy to draw" cow tags), I'm certainly thinking about hunting in Colorado.

I love to look into things but the PP system is a bit confusing to me at first glance and I'm hoping someone here can help distill my chances a bit. Is there an OTC or likely draw ML hunt in southern CO that I should look into? I don't care if it is a cow or bull, I just want to hunt and get some meat.

Residents yes. Most of the Non-resident muzzleloader hunts that I know of Generally take 2-10 points.

Last edited:
Oh sorry just re read your post. If you are willing to go cow alot of them are available as a leftover. you should draw if you put in for cow muzzy.

Thanks for the feedback. I printed out last years regs a few weeks ago so I'll look into them a bit and see what my options are for southern units.

When I lived in NM, I could draw unit 17 for mz every year. It took me five years to finally kill a bull (although I found them every year). I started putting in for cows up by Tes Piedras and was drawn two for two. Times have changed, and as a NR, I don't even have the option of a reduced-price cow hunt. NM is just like Az now. To hell with both of them.

As an archery elk hunter, I'm still pissed that I lose nearly 2 weeks of prime time of my hunting season to muzzleloaders....just saying....

Hand my mind made up to hunt unit 82 in Wyoming for deer but now thinking muzzleloader deer in NW Colorado.
Got three months to make up my mind !!

As an archery elk hunter, I'm still pissed that I lose nearly 2 weeks of prime time of my hunting season to muzzleloaders....just saying....
How is it "lost?"

And it's 9 days...

As a muzzleloader, I'm pissed that there are Bowhunters running around in "my" season. ;)

The best elk hunting is just after the muzz seson closes.

How is it "lost?"

And it's 9 days...

As a muzzleloader, I'm pissed that there are Bowhunters running around in "my" season. ;)

The best elk hunting is just after the muzz seson closes.

Where I've been bowhunting for years, the muzzy hunters come pulling in in their campers a few days before season and set up right up like a few hundred yards away from where the elk like to bed and have their campfire with their music blaring and beer drinking. Then they start driving up and down the roads literally blowing out the latest and greatest Primos elk bugle out of their truck windows as they drive. It runs the elk right on to the private property. Muzzy season usually has been happening a little later and you'd only get like 3 or 4 days to hunt again after the elk settle down and come back out. I have had ground blinds destroyed by muzzy hunters they will find my brush blinds and sit there and leave their chew cans and empty beer and soda cans in them. So, for me, where I hunt, there's no point in going out while the muzzy hunters are there or after they finally leave. So, I guess it's time for me to find a new place to go and learn. It was nice having a local herd pretty much to myself until word got out about them and they have disappeared. I shouldn't have let pride get in the way and shot what I could every year within 3 miles of my buddy's house, so I had a nice bed every night and good meals and showers and 2 teenaged boys to pack mule my elk out. I could have easily shot cows and raghorn every year damn near every day, but I wanted my first bull to be awesome...so I let pride get in the way and now my spot has gone to shit and I am elkless... :confused:

Last edited:
I'm calling baloney on your whole post. I've hunted elk in Colorado since the early 50's, and with a muzzleloader since 1980. I see none of this. However, I have over 10 spots I can go to. I don't like seeing one other hunter. Even a bow hunter.

You need to scout more, and find other spots to hunt if that one isn't working. Doing the same thing every year, and expecting different results is not smart.

btw If what you say you see is true. Do you really think bow hunters don't do that too? There's a lot more bow hunters than muzzy hunters. Give me as a muzzy hunter a whole month to hunt, and also have it be either sex, and you'll hear no complaints from me.

I'm calling baloney on your whole post. I've hunted elk in Colorado since the early 50's, and with a muzzleloader since 1980. I see none of this. However, I have over 10 spots I can go to. I don't like seeing one other hunter. Even a bow hunter.

You need to scout more, and find other spots to hunt if that one isn't working. Doing the same thing every year, and expecting different results is not smart.

btw If what you say you see is true. Do you really think bow hunters don't do that too? There's a lot more bow hunters than muzzy hunters. Give me as a muzzy hunter a whole month to hunt, and also have it be either sex, and you'll hear no complaints from me.

I believe, if my 3 degrees and high school education are working properly, that I did say that I need to find a new spot. I've hunted the spot I hunt because I knew it inside and out and had the convenience of my buddy's house. The local herd was found out, so now I'm out a spot to hunt. So now, as I said, I have to find a new place. As for the end of your post, which I'm assuming is about my blinds being damaged....trail cameras don't lie :eek:

If you don't understand the reaction to your posts. This is a muzzleloader forum, and you're a bow hunter.

Other than trolling what reaction were you expecting? You made two posts ragging on muzzy hunters before anyone responded. Were you going to go for a 3rd to see what happened?

Back