Colorado Hunt

birdhunter

My Colorado hunt is coming up next week we got a couple of leftover cow tags.

Are the Elk moving around the Meeker area? I'd appreciate any feedback, thanks.

My brother-in-law just returned from that area and the only thing moving were trucks, atv's and the pumpkin patch!

In the areas I hunted northeast of Meeker the elk harvest was low for the first and second seasons, with pack out about 50% of normal according to some outfitter friends.
That region depends on significant snows in the high country to spur migration. The first such event didn't happen until midway into the second season, Oct. 26th.

I was fortunate to take a bull a few days earlier, my 24th elk in 28 years of hunting there, but few other hunters that I met reported seeing elk. With a foot of snow at 8600' on the 26th, the deer were moving down but elk numbers remained slim for the several days I continued hunting. I did hear of more animals coming off the Flat Tops.

The higher elevations have had three good snows since then. There's a blizzard watch posted for this weekend with 8"-16" predicted so I think your chances are very good if you can get into the snow country and position yourself well. Be prepared, and good luck!

morning-in-the-aspens.jpg

In the areas I hunted northeast of Meeker the elk harvest was low for the first and second seasons, with pack out about 50% of normal according to some outfitter friends.
That region depends on significant snows in the high country to spur migration. The first such event didn't happen until midway into the second season, Oct. 26th.

I was fortunate to take a bull a few days earlier, my 24th elk in 28 years of hunting there, but few other hunters that I met reported seeing elk. With a foot of snow at 8600' on the 26th, the deer were moving down but elk numbers remained slim for the several days I continued hunting. I did hear of more animals coming off the Flat Tops.

The higher elevations have had three good snows since then. There's a blizzard watch posted for this weekend with 8"-16" predicted so I think your chances are very good if you can get into the snow country and position yourself well. Be prepared, and good luck!

morning-in-the-aspens.jpg

Thanks for the tips, I really appreciate it.
Everybody have a good Veterans Day weekend. :)

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PerezA
Back