colorado gmu advice

nwihunter

I've posted a couple of times previously looking for advice on gear choices and got back some great advice. That being said I have some questions on GMU's that I'm looking at. My short story is I have never hunted elk or spent anytime west of northwest Indiana. I'm going on my first solo archery elk hunt this September. I would like to get there 2 days before season opener and hunt for at least 7 days. I have spent a ton of time over the past 2 years trying to learn as much as I possibly can about this type of hunt, without actually putting my boots on the ground. My expectations for this trip are realistic, basically to learn as much as I can about elk hunting and with any luck lay eyes on an elk. To actually bring one home is a long shot, but that is the ultimate goal. I will be camping roadside or at trailheads and day hunting. I would love to get an elk and am not at all picky about what size or sex. I have eaten elk before and would love to have a freezer full. That being said I am determining my GMU choice by an area that is over the counter and either sex. I'm not looking for anyone to tell me where to go to kill an elk. I've followed this sight pretty closely for the last few years and get how it works. I'm totally fine learning from my own experience and mistakes. I like the idea of hiking into wilderness areas to get away from vehicles and hopefully some of the crowd. My questions will be more sight specific. I'm just kind of wondering what to expect when I get there and if anyone else has experience with these locations. My first spot I'm looking at is the NW corner of GMU 25, specifically the area north of Emerald Lake off of South Derby road 613 all the way down Crescent Lake. Is this a road that I can get down with a stock 4x4 truck? Can I camp along this road? Is this a place that gets a lot of Hunters during the archery opener? My other area that I am looking at is the area around Stillwater Reservoir in the far west side of GMU 26. Is this a place that gets really crowded? It looks easily accessible and thought it might be crowded. I've looked at the success numbers for these areas and realize they are on the low side but the number of hunters was fairly low as well. Again, not looking for anyone to give up there spots just curious about what other hunters think of the spots I'm looking at. I was also going to call out there as well but thought I would start here first. Any advice from you guys with experience is greatly appreciated..... Thanks

Last edited:
I've heard from my buddy that 613 is really rough, but I haven't been up it myself. That can be steep country back there and it could be a tough solo hunt, expect company in either of those units if you're near the roads though.

hello nwi hunter ,I Too live in Valpo. I been elk hunting for 6 yrs. I am not familiar with the units you are looking at, but I will help you any way I can.

Personally I Have hunted elk in Colorado, New Mexico and Montana. All have been great experiences, and there is a lot to learn. There is nothing like being out there in September. I have hunted Colorado twice ,both times in unit 521. Successful once

If you settle on 26 let me know and I'll try to help some though it's been a few years since I've been there.

I have camped and fished in the wilderness area around Stillwater Reservoir a couple of times but never during hunting season. Seemed like a pretty popular area, and I would expect there is probably plenty of non-hunting traffic there during archery season.

+1 to Bowhuntrben. I've never hunted the area but have fished the stillwater lakes 5-6 times and there are always a ton of people (hikers and campers) if the weather is decent off the main road in. If you start taking the roads off the main road numbers start dropping pretty quick (non-hunters at least, I haven't been off the main road during any hunting seasons).

613 is rough, we went up there once to fish and turned around pretty quick (had standard 4x4 F150, I think we could've made it but would've taken much longer than we wanted). If you do a quick google search of "crescent lake colorado" and/or "s derby creek rd" there are some fairly detailed descriptions of the route from 4x4 websites.

Haven't been there, but have heard 613 can be pretty gnarly.

Stillwater reservoir - I cannot comment on the hunting in that area, but the road itself is generally very good. During summer, it is also extremely popular for fishing, hiking and just plain old camping. You'd probably need to get over the wall, and packing an elk out over the wall but "fun"

970400_664995921224_1553801541_n.jpg

Thanks. I would take any help or advice you would have for me. If you ever want to get together and talk some elk hunting let me know.

hello nwi hunter ,I Too live in Valpo. I been elk hunting for 6 yrs. I am not familiar with the units you are looking at, but I will help you any way I can.

Thanks. I would take any advice or help that you would have to give to me. If you ever want to get together and talk elk hunting let me know

Yeah I'm finding out a lot of the roads that look like they will get me to the places I want to hunt are just to rough.

Echoing others, 613 is one son-of-a-gun; I had confidence (probably false) given to me by my new KO2's and made it out without a flat or a smashed transfer case but was quite surprised to see the amount of people that went up and down that road with pedestrian 4X4's (I was there for the archery opener). That area is one of my personal favorites in Colorado for pure beauty as the little flat tops and valley areas near the Colorado make for quite a backdrop. I will also add that I saw bear sign in there that made me think ursus arctos had made a reappearance here in the centennial state; I would have some bear spray on me. Read the story of the massive bull taken out of the coffee pot creek area near there many years ago for a little Colorado lore of the general area.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back