Caribou Gear

Colorado folks

bushman13

I need some advice on Elk hunting and the dreaded preference point game.

I have 2 elk PP's already. My plan was to continue to build PP's and hunt B tags, possibly OTC and the Leftover list. I figured these less desirable hunts would allow me to gain experience and every once and a while, get some meat. Well my plan isn't working as I can't actually find any meat. I've yet to see a live elk while hunting, although this 4th season I did find 2 unrecovered elk. 1 was 200 yards from the trailhead :poop:

So far:
1st rifle Either tag in Unit 18
2nd rifle Bull tag in Unit 67
4th rifle Cow tag in Unit 28

I'm obviously starting to get discouraged as this is my first foray into Public Land hunting. Hunting private land my entire life did not prepare me. I had kind of relegated myself to maybe building around 7 points and finally getting a decent hunt.
I just noticed however, that you can draw some RFW tags with 3 or 4 points. I'm guessing the odds of success on these hunts are way better than even a 7 point resident hunt, although the trophy potential may not be there. Is that your understanding as well? For a person who doesn't care about antler size, does the RFW route seem more solid? Thoughts?

Another option would be to hunt a 2-3 point draw every few years, but at this point I'm not confident in that route at all.

Last edited:
Your plan right now isn't a bad one in that you're hunting and learning while still building points. And I'll give you some credit, at least you've gone elk hunting! That is more than quite a few people do.

Sounds like you need to learn more about elk. Not sure if you've immersed yourself into that topic but if not, you need to. Randy has tons and tons of great content. If you're going to hunt during the rut, Corey Jacobson also has plenty of content. And with e-scouting, you should have at least Plans A-E for spots to look for elk on a hunt before you even leave your house.

I don't know much about the RFW tags but have heard some people say that they aren't that great. I wouldn't go that route unless you get some really solid info on a certain hunt.

Keep learning and keep hunting! Elk hunting is a big learning curve!

I have a ton to learn about elk, luckily my neighborhood is full of them and I've probably watched everything Randy has ever done. It sure would be nice to get something on the ground while enjoying the process. It seems as though I moved to Colorado about the time the herds are taking a down swing.

Your plan right now isn't a bad one in that you're hunting and learning while still building points. And I'll give you some credit, at least you've gone elk hunting! That is more than quite a few people do.

Sounds like you need to learn more about elk. Not sure if you've immersed yourself into that topic but if not, you need to. Randy has tons and tons of great content. If you're going to hunt during the rut, Corey Jacobson also has plenty of content. And with e-scouting, you should have at least Plans A-E for spots to look for elk on a hunt before you even leave your house.

I don't know much about the RFW tags but have heard some people say that they aren't that great. I wouldn't go that route unless you get some really solid info on a certain hunt.

Keep learning and keep hunting! Elk hunting is a big learning curve!

If you want to try the RFW route do your research. Some of the ranches are strict and some are pretty casual. What kind of hunt you get depends.

I'd agree that your strategy on points isn't bad. I don't know that, in Colorado, getting more than 4 points in the bank is really worth it but that's just my opinion. There are lots of places to hunt and there are lots of animals. I don't always see an animal during a hunt or I only see them outside of legal shooting times. I hunt the south west part of the state most times. Discouragement is just part of the game of hunting public land. Don't let it get you down.

Here's my opinion and it could be wrong but the good thing with OTC tags is you can hunt the same unit for a length of time and actually learn it. Bouncing from leftover tag to leftover tag can be fun but will be a lot more challenging in my opinion unless you can get a premium tag which is getting harder with all the leftover apps popping up

Interesting and that strategy has been in the back of my mind as well. I may try OTC this year and also a leftover cow tag for 4th rifle. Maybe stay in the same general area for both tags. The number of hunters definitely throws me off, but I do have the advantage of already living here.

Here's my opinion and it could be wrong but the good thing with OTC tags is you can hunt the same unit for a length of time and actually learn it. Bouncing from leftover tag to leftover tag can be fun but will be a lot more challenging in my opinion unless you can get a premium tag which is getting harder with all the leftover apps popping up

If you are willing to burn 3-4 points on a RFW cow tag, I think you will have a good chance at success. I’ve never hunted RFW but know folks who do. Some ranches can be hit or miss while other consistently have elk. I can PM you some ranch names to check out if you want.

If you are more interested in any elk/meat, I would draw a cow tag with your second choice and pick up another cow tag off the leftover list for a different season. Learning one unit really well is also a good idea.

2018 success rates:
1st rifle Either tag in Unit 18 - 17%
2nd rifle Bull tag in Unit 67 - 15%
4th rifle Cow tag in Unit 28 - 20%

By my math an average hunter would need to hunt 2-3 more years to expect success. ;) Remove private land harvests from those stats and it's likely longer. Remove the guys that kill an elk every year and it's likely longer for the newbie.

I'd take the advice above and hunt OTC in the same unit so that you learn an area. Late season cow licenses are good backup plans; they usually can't be drawn 2nd choice, but you can probably pick up a reissue. Your advantage is that you live here and it's relatively cheap to keep trying.

I wouldn't want to burn 3-4 on a cow tag. There does look to be a few ranches that you can draw a bull tag with 3-4. They seem to be in the same geographical area.

If you are willing to burn 3-4 points on a RFW cow tag, I think you will have a good chance at success. I’ve never hunted RFW but know folks who do. Some ranches can be hit or miss while other consistently have elk. I can PM you some ranch names to check out if you want.

If you are more interested in any elk/meat, I would draw a cow tag with your second choice and pick up another cow tag off the leftover list for a different season. Learning one unit really well is also a good idea.

Keep at it. Maybe try your hand at other units close enough for you to scout and/or with better odds as previously listed. I usually hunt OTC bull and pick up a leftover cow tag and hunt every year. Been skunked a few years but bring home a CO elk more often than not. I wouldn't burn many, if any, points on a cow tag. All this being said, I just burned 12 points on a good 1st season bull tag this year.

See this post for some of the best elk hunting advice I've ever seen summed up in 20 square inches of computer screen, courtesy of wllm1313:

I consulted the wllm1313 KB already. He likes option #3

Another option would be to hunt a 2-3 point draw every few years, but at this point I'm not confident in that route at all.

Keep at it. Maybe try your hand at other units close enough for you to scout and/or with better odds as previously listed. I usually hunt OTC bull and pick up a leftover cow tag and hunt every year. Been skunked a few years but bring home a CO elk more often than not. I wouldn't burn many, if any, points on a cow tag. All this being said, I just burned 12 points on a good 1st season bull tag this year.

See this post for some of the best elk hunting advice I've ever seen summed up in 20 square inches of computer screen, courtesy of wllm1313:

I'm a few years ahead of you with 6 points now. Fortunately I've taken 2 elk. I'll probably continue to hunt leftover or returned elk tags for a while. Along with deer, pronghorn, and turkey tags I've learned a lot and I've seen a lot of cool places.

Try the flat tops or the grand Mesa.

That's interesting, I found an unrecovered bull during 4th rifle in GMU 28 as well. If you are a resident I'm not sure getting into the preference point game is really worth it. Most 1st rifle tags can be had with no points and you can usually get a cow or a bull. If you can find those 2-3 point draw areas they may be worth it but I think it is beneficial to hunt the same unit year after year so you can get to know it and how the elk respond to pressure, etc.

i'm relatively new to hunting and still figuring stuff out as far as elk hunting goes.

but my strategy as a resident is to only apply for late cow tags, i've only had up to 1 elk point to date

i figure there is enough opportunity on leftover 1st rifle and otc to find good areas, figure this out, and start putting down bulls

there's been too much great deer and antelope opportunity between co and wyoming though that i struggle to really focus on elk - when it becomes that easy to fill the freezer i tend to focus on stuff where i have confidence i will fill the freezer - i wonder if i would've put one down by now if i'd actually been going bull elk hunting... that's why next year the focus is shifting a little

The coolness factor really hit me this year. And I hear you, I may try the flattops next year. Just not sure yet.

20191113_073343.jpg
I'm a few years ahead of you with 6 points now. Fortunately I've taken 2 elk. I'll probably continue to hunt leftover or returned elk tags for a while. Along with deer, pronghorn, and turkey tags I've learned a lot and I've seen a lot of cool places.

Try the flat tops or the grand Mesa.

Honestly, stop moving around. You’re starting over every time you change units. Otc is not easy. CPW wouldn’t issue otc tags if success rates were good. Per the stats guys should kill every 5 - 7 years.

Per the stats guys should kill every 5 - 7 years.

I think the reality is that most folks will never kill an elk.

Also this is pure speculation, but among hunters that scout 1.5+ days, hunt 7 days or more, walk 1.5 hours into their spot, and who walk both ways in the dark the success rate is probably something like 70%.

The learning curve is steep and can get you down, but if you don’t give up you will eventually figure it out.

Wllm1313, I would have to agree with your speculation. There are guys out there that have been hunting the same units for decades and know the land and how the elk behave on it like the back of their hands. I would suspect these guys kill elk most years which drives down the stats for newbies and those that jump from unit to unit. Growing up, my dad killed an elk most years in the unit we hunted and by the time I was 15, I started killing elk consistently until I moved to Montana.

Bushman13, I think your best option would be to pick a unit and follow Wllm1313's advice found on that other thread, and keep going back. Don't get discouraged. Elk hunting is hard!

There are guys out there that have been hunting the same units for decades and know the land and how the elk behave on it like the back of their hands.

I have mixed feelings on the hunting the same unit advice.

Sure I totally get don't leave elk to find elk.... but other than knowing where elk weren't in a particular season I don't know if you gain on that much by hunting the same place.

I there are units that don't lend themselves well to certain hunting styles or skill sets, and that sometimes switching it up can be helpful.

Maybe you don't have the patients for glassing, maybe your not in shape enough to chase elk straight up a mountain, but maybe you are super sneaky and good at playing the wind. In that case I would say avoid the high alpine, avoid the oak brush, and concentrate on dark timber.

Good points. And I do not always follow my own advice, largely because I enjoy seeing new country. However, if you find a spot where you have seen elk I think its advantageous to return because you are going to learn new things about the country and elk behavior every time you're there that are only going to help you become successful. It is important to know when to cut your losses and try out a new unit though.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back