MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Colorado Elk

Here’s what I would do.
-If you can come out and scout the unit before the season do that so your lungs can gain a little practice. This will also help your mind adjust to the mental challenge of hiking day in and day out up and down up and down.
-Spend the money on the best boots and pack you can afford. Don’t go with a gigantic pack that weighs over 6lbs. Keep your kit as light as possible. Don’t overpack for a day hunt but do carry enough water/food for a full day even if you just plan for a quick outing- I’ve made that rookie mistake and ended up getting back to camp 14hrs later - didn’t have water for 6of those hours.
-Plan to give the hunt at least 10 days-12 is my rule of thumb. This does not include travel.
-Spend the first couple days learning your area and seeing if you see fresh sign or see/hear elk. If not move to plan b on day 3.
—If you do plan to pack in just do it for 2-3 nights. And do this around day 4or 5
-if you day hunt take your tests up high or out on the far end of your hunting loop in the middle of the day- I sleep the best in the sun on the side of the mountain. That helps knock back the wasted energy spent hiking back and forth.
-Get a Garmin inreach or some other emergency device so you can stay in touch and if shit does hit the fan you have a way to get help.
-Spend a few morning or afternoons closer to trailheads. I’ve run into elk close to the truck so don’t overlook that, especially on those morning you want to sleep in. On that note Only sleep in when the tag has been filled and most of the meat is back at the truck!
“I’ll sleep when I’m dead” favorite motto from the late great Mr.Zevon is my alarm song every morning before the hunt!
-unless you are injured don’t take any time off, find a river or lake strip down and rest your muscles in the cold ass water- it will rejuvenate you for the afternoon hunt.
-Speaking of injury buy a nice pair of boots and break them in- I have owned a few of the top brands and I will say that for my foot I haven’t found a crispi I couldn’t wear, I own 7 pairs and my wife has 2
- get some trekking poles that are light and easily packable- use one on steep terrain. It will help you keep your eyes out front and not so much on your footing
- that goes for a pack- do research and buy one you like now and start hauling weight. If it hurts when you have 60-70lbs, throw it up on one of the many forums in the classifieds and move on to the next brand. You are going to want a comfortable, well fitting pack when you are day hunting but it’s paramount if you pack in or pack out a bull. ESP by yourself.
-I’m not affiliated with any of these companies I mention but I think theelkcollective.com is one of the better sites for learning about all things elk. I know this is Randy’s baby so of course the new Outdoor Class is good too. If I had to choose one the collective has an ass ton of info.
-another plug- I just had a baby 8months ago and I’m turning 40 next week. Before that starting in February (cause I love hunting Mtn Merriams ) I would run the FS trails 4 miles each morning before work and I would gradually get to packing 100lbs 3 miles up the ridge behind my house each day on the weekend before each season which made the hunt a blast.
To be an elk hunter you really have to be in good shape( that’s not to say you need to look like an ultra marathoner) you just need to be strong and quick with a vast amount of stamina. MTNTOUGH is a great c app that will get you into that type of shape. Been using it for a few weeks now and I’m slowly digging out of the hole my little girl put me in for the previous 7months. Try the free 14 days and see what you think.

Good luck and just keep thinking your bull is just over the next ridge everyday you are in the woods. Also remind yourself when the times are dismal and hope is all but lost that you are pursuing a dream that most people won’t get the chance to in their life. It’s a spiritual quest not a notch in a belt. Relish the adventure!

I am so far out of the loop anymore, but I love hearing about all the youngsters on their first elk hunt. If I were bowhunting elk again in new terrain ( the internet has pretty much phuqued that up) I would car camp first week close to some steep , nasty terrain ( with a lot of benches and water would be cool). Leave the phuguing bugle in the car, maybe take a cow/calf call , trust my map recon and just have some fun in some new terrain. If I get into some elk, maybe make a move to a new camp, or not......just enjoy the time in the woods doing what very few get to do!

Leave the phuguing bugle in the car, maybe take a cow/calf call
This is one of the most valuable pieces of advice a new elk hunter can take. Learn how to use the wind/terrain and get close to animals first.

Tough to sell elk calls if you don’t advocate for bugling every 5 minutes, which is why you see it on YouTube that way

Hello all,

I am fairly certain I will be trying to kill an elk with a bow in Colorado for two weeks in September. This will be not only my first time hunting elk, but visiting a western state period. I am 24, in good shape, and will be hunting with a buddy. I also have experience chasing whitetails on public land with a bow. I’m really not seeking advice on particular units or spots but rather looking for general tips that some of you may have used to be successful on previous hunts. So if there is anything you feel like you wish you would’ve known as a beginner, I would appreciate if you’d share.

Other than seeking general information, my research has led me to more specific questions that I would appreciate your opinion on:

1) How much of a difference in hunting pressure would you expect to see between an OTC unit vs a unit that has had high draw success for people with no points in previous years? I have been studying units on Toprut but am curious to see what people with experience have actually seen in the field.

2) With backcountry camping being such a common thing, how much of a benefit do you see in carrying camp on your back while hunting?

3) While it would be awesome to kill a bull, I have realistic expectations about the challenge of bow hunting these animals on public land. However, if you were to pick two weeks in September that would give you the best shot at seeing and hearing elk, which two weeks would you choose? And why?

I realize that this is a lot, but I would be super appreciative of any information that you guys are willing to share.

Thanks in advance,

Alex
Go to a different state!

I’m a little late to party on commenting (found this thread on a different post), but to the people commenting on getting solid rest and food after/before a long drive is solid gold advice. I’ve pulled 24hrs drive west from VA and it blows, no way around it, follow that up with driving to your spots and looking for sign/game will be a waste of time. Personally, if I can split the driving up with a partner I don’t mind to sleep and drive the whole way, but I’ve learned the hard way to give us a full day to burn and rest up before we actually plan on hunting or driving home. Id take three days of hunting and two rest days vs five days of solid hunting. Don’t skimp on your food and don’t make a 20 plus hour drive and 7 day hunting trip a “try out” for a new hunting partner.

do your best to find the elk before comitting to a big hike in.
Blowing all that energy and time can be a tough pit to crawl out of - and spending more time closer to the truck/atv/etc. will get you more rolls of the dice to actually find a herd.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back