Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Colorado Elk Units 25, 26, 34, 24 Info

DETjake

Have experience hunting parts of these units this past year during second rifle. Willing to divulge for info on other OTC units. PM me

All the elk live in honey holes, that are also home to the native Squach population. They don’t like visitors so pack heat!

Last edited:
I always thought finding the game was part of the hunt? Why would I want someone else to do my hunt?

Hey DETjake thanks for offering to help anyone out this forum has a lot of people willing to do so. Never mind the comments.

New to HT and Colorado Elk, but this community has been great to passively participate in. I figured it's time to give back and encourage others to jump in...Long story short, I gathered data from various sources to rank the opportunity across CO units (both OTC and draw) to help identify where I should focus (does not consider draw probability). Adding in some data science wizardry and imputation, I was then able to get a more complete picture. In the end, I generated rankings for factors like "% of Public Acreage", "% Acres Burned in Last 10 Years", "% of Acres in Summer Elk Range", "% of Acres in Winter Elk Range", "3 Year Avg Success %", "Estimated Bulls Per Acre", "Avg Bull-Hunter Ratio", and others. I can't attach the Excel, which has the full list and details of each ranking, so PM me with your email if you'd like the file. I hope the top 25 below helps any new hunters not already set on a unit.

General note: The 0.5 numbers mean there was a tie in the ranking.
2020 CO Elk Unit Ranking.png

Attachments

• 2020 CO Elk Unit Ranking.png
    2020 CO Elk Unit Ranking.png
    138.8 KB · Views: 50
New to HT and Colorado Elk, but this community has been great to passively participate in. I figured it's time to give back and encourage others to jump in...Long story short, I gathered data from various sources to rank the opportunity across CO units (both OTC and draw) to help identify where I should focus (does not consider draw probability). Adding in some data science wizardry and imputation, I was then able to get a more complete picture. In the end, I generated rankings for factors like "% of Public Acreage", "% Acres Burned in Last 10 Years", "% of Acres in Summer Elk Range", "% of Acres in Winter Elk Range", "3 Year Avg Success %", "Estimated Bulls Per Acre", "Avg Bull-Hunter Ratio", and others. I can't attach the Excel, which has the full list and details of each ranking, so PM me with your email if you'd like the file. I hope the top 25 below helps any new hunters not already set on a unit.

General note: The 0.5 numbers mean there was a tie in the ranking.
View attachment 150214
Where does 77 rank ? Thanks

Have experience hunting parts of these units this past year during second rifle. Willing to divulge for info on other OTC units. PM me

You hunted 24,25,26,34 during one short rifle season? Did you kill an elk? Why don't you go back to the spots you know and find more success? Those units are no better or worse than any of the other OTC units you'll hunt...

I find it interesting that you hunted a part of all of these units in one season. Those units are very big. I know because I have been in them and it would take weeks of hunting to have any useful tradable information.

Where does 77 rank ? Thanks

I had it ranked 30th in key attributes and 33rd overall. It's top ranked attributes were in Timber Cuts (8th ranked overall), Burn Area (15th), Public Acreage (16th), 3-yr Avg Bull Harvest (24th), and Bull Per Acre (26th). The worst attributes were 3-yr Avg Success % (71st), Bull Archery Success % (67th), and 2019 Success % (65th).

I find it interesting that you hunted a part of all of these units in one season. Those units are very big. I know because I have been in them and it would take weeks of hunting to have any useful tradable information.

Which means he must have a butt load of crucial information right!? Like where to get gas and the direction the sun sets maybe?

Reactions: jdf
Back