Caribou Gear

Colorado Elk - Unit 71

Hey, everyone!

I'm going on my first CO Elk hunt later this year. I decided to go through Storm Peak Outfitters at Circle K Ranch. I've scoured the threads trying to find some info on the outfit but couldn't really find anything. I guess no news is good news. That being said I want to focus more on unit 71 since I'm doing a semi-guided "DIY" hunt. I've heard numbers are low, the terrain is steep and hunting pressure is high. All pointing to a tough hunt (which is what I like to hear). Tough hunts are right up my alley. I will be given some guidance and possibly specific areas to focus on by the outfit. But I'm open to any tips, tricks, and advice y’all may have.

Thanks in advance!

If it is semi guided they should have specific place set up or to bring you into with your own set up (tent ,camp )
They are probably taking you in on horse back I would guess
Check with them on the area in the unit so you can look up water open areas vs timber on google earth or onx the rest of the unit wont matter much once your in camp
I dont know anything about 71 but not sure why your going to a low number high pressure area for a 1st elk hunt ?
Good luck and have fun

If you're paying an outfitter, they should be a much more valuable resource than anyone here. You're outfitter is probably going to dump you in one predetermined spot, probably by horseback, and you'll hunt from there. Try and get that location as far in advance as possible so you can do some map e-scouting

Hunted 71, 2021. We hunted on our own but stayed at Circle K.
Heard of crowds & yes, lots of hunters in the area but even without an outfitter was able to get away. Saw only one other hunter in the field.
Lots of sign. We did see a couple of jeeps, locals, road hunting.
With an outfitter I would hope they do their homework.

I hunted unit 71 about 3 years ago on a solo archery backpack hunt and shot my first bull. I really love the entire experience. I haven't been back because my son moved to Montana right after this hunt and we now hunt there. I'd go back and hunt unit 71. It's like most of the mountainous units in Colorado. You need to get off the road and in a ways to get into the animals. Some Colorado locals find places to hunt within close distance to roads, but most of us out of state folks don't have time to figure those spots out and need to just bite the bullet and go in steep and deep for our animals. Of coarse there are exceptions to my opinion, but I like steep and deep hunts anyway.
Thanks for the reply!
I'm just curious, I'm familiar with going "deep" and "away from trails and roads" in the NE. But in these parts, when you say deep, what distances are you referring to? 1 mile? 3 miles? 5+? I'm just trying to get an idea here. Thanks again!!

Hunted 71, 2021. We hunted on our own but stayed at Circle K.
Heard of crowds & yes, lots of hunters in the area but even without an outfitter was able to get away. Saw only one other hunter in the field.
Lots of sign. We did see a couple of jeeps, locals, road hunting.
With an outfitter I would hope they do their homework.

Hey, everyone!

I'm going on my first CO Elk hunt later this year. I decided to go through Storm Peak Outfitters at Circle K Ranch. I've scoured the threads trying to find some info on the outfit but couldn't really find anything. I guess no news is good news. That being said I want to focus more on unit 71 since I'm doing a semi-guided "DIY" hunt. I've heard numbers are low, the terrain is steep and hunting pressure is high. All pointing to a tough hunt (which is what I like to hear). Tough hunts are right up my alley. I will be given some guidance and possibly specific areas to focus on by the outfit. But I'm open to any tips, tricks, and advice y’all may have.

Thanks i

Thanks for the reply!
I'm just curious, I'm familiar with going "deep" and "away from trails and roads" in the NE. But in these parts, when you say deep, what distances are you referring to? 1 mile? 3 miles? 5+? I'm just trying to get an idea here. Thanks again!!
Probably 20, or one if you don't see other hunters

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jahmes143
Back