Colorado - Elk tags for everyone

Big Fin

Administrator
Staff member
OK folks. The time has come where everyone and anyone can get an elk tag. Colorado Over-The-Counter elk tags are on sale now. Go here --> Colorado License Sales.

If you did not get a tag in one of the drawings, here is your chance to go elk hunting. Lots of elk, 265,000 being the current estimate, in Colorado. To pick a Game Management Unit go here - Over The Counter Elk Units

There are 23,000,000 acres of public land in Colorado. Pretty easy to find a place to hunt elk.

A condensed map of the OTC elk units provided below for quick reference.

OTCRifleElk.jpg

The best elk hunting information on the entire www, besides what is here on Hunt Talk, is at this link from the Colorado Division of Parks and Wildlife --> Elk Hunting University.

If you want the highlights of dates, etc. here is a link to the Colorado Hunt Planner.

If you want the harvest stats for your GMU, go to this link --> Colorado Harvest Information Data

Here is a very cool tool produced by Colorado State University - Colorado Hunitng Atlas.

I hope our filming schedule allows for us to be back in Colorado this year. Looking like it, especially since I also have a deer tag. Hope to see you there.

This week you will see the Colorado OTC elk episode premiering on Sportsman Channel. Tons of elk in this one. Now, if not for the complications of cameras, one of them would be wearing my tag.

I'm not going to make it out this year due to work obligations, but I'll be out there in 2013. I'm glad they moved the 2013 archery opener back a week from what was published earlier in the year.

Colorado OTC

Mornin fellas,
If any of you are wondering what OTC Elk hunitng is like in Colorado, well here it is- pic's worth a thousand words!!!

Attachments

• says it all.jpg
    says it all.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 4,749
Tuck and roll!

I'm looking forward to a first season hunt there this year, even though the tag fairy only brought me a cow tag...

If you're coming, bring 4 buddies. It will increase your odds of actually getting to taste an elk steak. Last year 21% of Colorado elk hunters were successful.

if my luck runs out here in az and don't get drawn next year i've already started planning for the 2013 season. interested in units 77 and 771. anyone have any experience there?

Anyone want to take an alaskan elk hunting? I'm thinking its been far too long since I've chased an elk.

21% success rate seems low. I always thought that an CO elk hunt would be a "slam dunk".

Anyone want to take an alaskan elk hunting? I'm thinking its been far too long since I've chased an elk.

21% success rate seems low. I always thought that an CO elk hunt would be a "slam dunk".

I'd invite you down but then you would have to pay for the extra security to make sure you are not digging though my shed piles.

PS I've never seen a Colorado elk hunt as easy as a Wyoming elk hunt.

A Colorado elk hunt is just a dream for me. I mean how the hell would I get my 8 wheeler down there?

Both pretty easy, I'd say. Surely the hunt you waited over a decade to draw in CO was as easy as any?

Yes, the decade wait hunt in Colorado was better than anything I've seen in Wyoming. But then again I didn't wait a decade to hunt in Wyoming.

I could have shot a small 6pt bull in my socks last year in Colorado, would have been hysterical hero shots.

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back