Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Colorado elk,need a little help

Pahoundsman

I’m sitting on 18 points. I don’t think I’ll ever catch 61. So I was thinking of burning those points,maybe 76 ? Im not really sure what I’m going to do,but I’d like to hear the opinions of some Hunt Talkers. My thoughts are to use them this year,cause next year I’ll be going back to Alaska.

I know 76 well. It is a good unit if you are in excellent physical condition and you are willing to work hard. The scenery is wonderful and there are a fair number of elk (until the heavy snow starts). Very few fellows put their hands on a bull that will honestly measure larger than 300", but it can be a great adventure. It is higher altitude hunting than most units and it is rugged and steep country.

I know 76 well. It is a good unit if you are in excellent physical condition and you are willing to work hard. The scenery is wonderful and there are a fair number of elk (until the heavy snow starts). Very few fellows put their hands on a bull that will honestly measure larger than 300", but it can be a great adventure. It is higher altitude hunting than most units and it is rugged and steep country.
I’m in pretty good shape for a mid 50’s guy. I spent 2 weeks in Alaska chasing mountain grizzlies this year. Not set on 76, kinda looking for some opinions. Not looking for honey holes either. Thanks for your reply.

I’ve never hunted 76 but I have hunted in 751. It’s grand country - some of the prettiest elk country in the Rockies, I’m sure. It would be a neat experience.

@Pahoundsman

76 will kick your a** if you aren't physically ready for it. Almost all the elk country in 76 is higher than the highest parts of 61, and 76 doesn't have a road on top.

If you haven't been hunting elk in OTC units in Colorado every year, 76 is not where you want to find out you should have put more time into diet, weight loss, and physical training. Not saying 61 is easy, but 76 is only a tough draw because it is fully limited and mostly public, not because you'll be able to waltz in there and find a nice bull.

I'll just reiterate what @Bluffgruff said. I know an outfitter in the area that was telling me about the number of clients he has that wait 20 years, burn their points, then end up sitting at camp the whole time or going home early. These elk hang out at 12,500 plus in the early season and that's no joke. I shot an archery bull across the border from 76 in 2019 that was right at 12k and I can tell you that it was brutal.

Ditto on the trophy quality. 76 can't compete with the trophy potential of similarly difficult to draw units, but does have substantial public land and good elk populations. You're not spending your points on a trophy hunt, you're spending it on a better experience with less pressure and no private land issues. If that's what you're looking for and you're high country capable, it's a good option.

I haven't hunted there but backpacked in there a couple of times long before elk remotely struck my fancy. We saw a moose and bumped mule deer bedding in the alpine willows. Like others have said, the scenery and elevation changes really are something to behold.

Fishing is good in Squaw Lake. We made a loop hike through Weminuche Pass and down Squaw Creek. One year we went up and down Squaw Creek; the up part is constant uphill. If it ends up as part of your elk scouting, I suggest going up through the Wem. pass and down Squaw Creek.

Part of me wants to go back since becoming obsessed with elk hunting, but I stop short of realizing that we didn't even hike that far (comparatively) and it was pretty tough.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back