Colorado Elk Load For Traditions Vortek

PaJay 1962

I've drawn a ML tag for Colorado elk this year, and a few of us are doing it on our own. I've used my Traditions Vortek for whitetails in PA and Iowa with a sabot and pellets, however, Colorado does not permit a sabot and I must use loose powder. So now I need to find something that shoots out of it for elk.

I'd like to know if anyone has had success with a particular bullet and powder combination with this gun. Since I can't use Sabots, the only thing I'm seeing out there are Powerbelt bullets, and there are tons of different options.

Appreciate any help you can provide!

Jay

We havetaken 4 bull elk with 348 grain Powerbelt over 100 grains of triple777. If I get a leftover deer tag this yearI will be shooting a 295 Powerbelt over 95 grains of BlackHorn 209.

my .54 knight wolverine likes 430 grain maxiballs over 80 grains of pyrodex RS. I used powerbelts for years, never had a problem with them but heard too many stories of bullet failures

This year I bought a .50 CVA Optima V2 and switched to Blackhorn (110 grains) and thor bullets. After shooting blackhorn I have been kicking myself for not making the switch years earlier.

Don't push Powerbelts to fast and they work great on elk. 100 grains of powder max.

Never heard of them, but I just watched the video and I'll be stopping by Cabelas to see if they have them. What gun do you shoot, and how many grains of powder worked for you?

Great info from everyone so far. Didn't realize that the Powerbelts shouldn't use more than 100 grains, I was originally going to start at 100 and work my way up.

Thanks everyone
Jay

Sometimes Cabelas has them and sometimes not. I use a old Thompson Thunder Hawk inline that I bought years ago for the kids. We shot lots of deer over the years with Power Belts, and the only ones that I was impressed with, were the solid .54 cals that I shot in my Thompson Renegade. I lost several deer with good hits with the hollow points.

The300-grain FPB is very accurate in that cheap .50 caliber rifle and has blown through every deer that I have shot from any angle. I generally use 90 grains of Alliant Black MZ. I have used all types of powder over the yeas and that is hands down my favorite now. I have not lost one animal shooting those bullets. I have not used them on elk, but I have shot elk with other projectiles and I believe that they will work well in any inline.

I like big chunks of lead for elk. I killed two using 540 -grain new-style maxie balls in a .58 caliber musket.

Here is a link which shows a good pic of the FPB bullets.

http://www.namlhunt.com/mllegislation3.html

Thanks again - cabelas has them in stock in the 350 grains, out of stock of the 300 grains. I'll give them a shot and see where we go from there.

Thanks!
Jay

Here in Idaho we also are restricted to all-lead bullets for muzzleloader hunts. I haven't tried them for elk yet, but Hornady Great Plains bullets did great for me on a mule deer last year, and I have heard them recommended for elk by several people. I recovered the bullet under the buck's skin on the far side, and it weighed more than 99% of original weight.

I was very impressed by their performance at the range too.

I'm using 95 grains FFG Triple Se7en under the 425-grain .54 caliber in an old Knight inline gun.

Last edited:
Parker Hydra-Con in the caliber of your gun over Blackhorn 209 (start at 90 grains) and work up. Use.... CCI 209M primers.....(not black powder primers)
BH 209 burns hot and the Hydra Con bullets have a felt pad on the bottom that helps to gas check...these are high quality bullets.
My experience with PB Bullets is that they disintegrate on Whitetails (many ...almost all) without opening the far side hide. 295 grain and 338 grain.
I would be concerned shooting Elk with them
My deer get a 240 grain XTP and 90 grains of BH 209............. 10Dogs

More good information. Brings up another question on primers. Does the primer result in any difference in accuracy? I've always just used Winchester 209 primers for in-lines.

Thanks
Jay

Here in Idaho we also are restricted to all-lead bullets for muzzleloader hunts. I haven't tried them for elk yet, but Hornady Great Plains bullets did great for me on a mule deer last year, and I have heard them recommended for elk by several people. I recovered the bullet under the buck's skin on the far side, and it weighed more than 99% of original weight.

I was very impressed by their performance at the range too.

I'm using 95 grains FFG Triple Se7en under the 425-grain .54 caliber in an old Knight inline gun.

I am glad to hear that at least one state has kept to the principles of muzzle-loading. It has gotten to the point where everyone is just shooting a single-shot hi-power.

I picked up some 350 grain FPB at Cabelas as the 300 grain were on back order. Anyway, people mentioned doing a "fowling shot" prior to loading the FPB. Is that necessary? Since we will most likely be living out of a tent, I'd prefer not to do a fowling shot and if not fired during the day, empty the load and clean the barrel, only to repeat the process each day. Is it possible that the Triple 7 powder is not corrosive and I wouldn't have to worry about cleaning each day?

Thanks
Jay

When I tried FPBs in a TC Omega I could have thrown them at the target by hand and had a tighter group.

I spent last evening having hang fires in my brand new Knight Disc Extreme using BH and Thors. Tough to shoot a tight group with hang fires. POS. Hopefully a new breech plug fixes the problem.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Irish-Jay
Back