Caribou Gear

Colorado Elk and Deer

nrpate05

Hey guys, I'm hoping someone can shed some light on applying for an elk and deer hunt in Colorado. I've looked at the regs a little and they seem fairly confusing. I'm coming from Wyoming where it seemed pretty simple. My main question is if it is possible to hunt different seasons with the same license. For example, If I don't kill anything during first rifle season can I hunt second rifle season, etc.? I'm assuming I can't but if anyone has any info on this that would be great! As a resident in Wyoming I could hunt with a general tag for over a month for elk and about that for deer in the units I hunted. I think I'm going to have a hard time if I can only go out for a week or less! Also, I'm thinking about unit 42 for elk and probably deer too if I don't go with 37 for deer. Anybody have any experience with these units? Thanks again!

You can only hunt for what tag your drew or purchased. No hunting more than season. That is what is good about wyoming.

I have no intel for those units, good luck

The only way to get a longer season in colorado is to bowhunt, or there are a handful of longer season with some private land tags

42 has good deer numbers but also a crap ton of hunters. You can still find places to yourself if you can find areas that are closes off to atv. Grand mesa is really different terrain than ant other in colorado. Lots of small lakes and green everywhere.
37, I have only grouse hunted there, and done alot of fishing around green mtn res. Lots of atv use there to . But I have a couple of friends that hunt 37 pretty successfully every year.

Yea I may go eastern plains- we'll see. So another question now that that's settled. If I draw an early or late elk tag can I also purchase an OTC license during the 2nd or 3rd rifle season? Just trying to get as much time in the woods as possible. Looks like I'll have to learn to shoot a bow! Thanks for the info everyone, definitely appreciate it.

You could draw a b tag cow elk and extend your season, but your pretty limited to either a archery tag, or a draw muzzleloader, 1st rifle elk, 4th rifle elk, or buy a 2nd/3rd OTC elk tag.

Like some of the guys on here do you could buy a landowner unit wide buck tag for one of the rifle seasons and get to deer hunt every year or you can draw a buck tag every few years.

If you have spent much time in Wyoming I'm afraid you will be highly disappointed in hunting Colorado's micro big game seasons with lots of company.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back