Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Colorado Draw Summaries

Yep, was about set on burning my deer points next year until I saw my desired tag jumped 3 points this year..

Edit: thought about it more, I could have hunted this tag last year with 4 points (what I had at 2019 application) and now it is plausible I will not catch it in the foreseeable future.

Last edited:
I am flabbergasted at the actual number of people who actually drew elk tags this year. Lots of the top people cashed out this year in elk and antelope. Lots of tags awarded to non-residents and the "waiting pool" got cleared out a lot. With having two points in elk, next year actually looks to be a good year.

So what are the thoughts on elk points after the draw? It appears that Colorado gave out a LOT of tags this year to NR or is this just my own illusion?

[On a side note, i did the math and my wife and I drew antelope tags (private only - I have a few rancher friends allowing us to hunt their lands) with zero points while the general rifle draw was 8 points to even get a look. This is a large gap in points and I was surprised at drawing with less than a 5% chance. I expected to draw second choice antelope doe tags in a completely different unit.]

I am flabbergasted at the actual number of people who actually drew elk tags this year. Lots of the top people cashed out this year in elk and antelope. Lots of tags awarded to non-residents and the "waiting pool" got cleared out a lot. With having two points in elk, next year actually looks to be a good year.

Don't forget about the 90,000+ people that applied for a preference point first choice and can jump in any year they choose.

PP.jpg

Haha I also moved back two points this year compared to last. Guess it’s better to aim low.

What always baffles me is when someone spends 10+ points on a hunt that I drew 2nd choice.
i've looked at same thing, some of those must be a mistake?
ex: ELK bull tag for unit 11(plus all other units) EM01101R in 2019 they allocated 5,000 tags *(this is the highest number of tags in CO state i think), 2,154 of those went unclaimed into Leftover.
some resident used 16 Points !!,
but even then, there were a few people burning, 7, 6, 5,4 Points on a unit that looks like can be drawn with 0 every time?

so i really do wonder if some people burn their points as a mistake?

Question: as i'm trying to learn more about PP system *(i'm new so with 1point i dont plan on accumulating anything past 4 or 5 points, )
anyways, for example looking at 2019 Draw recap: very first Tag: EE001E1R
my understanding that in true PP system, people at the top should have drawn first. but somehow there is a person with 6PP that got a tag, where next one up had 16PP skipping everyone in between? just wondering how things like this happen?
EE01E1R.JPG
Or another example of where people with less PP get tags and people above them dont: EE002E1R
EE002E1R.JPG

Question: as i'm trying to learn more about PP system *(i'm new so with 1point i dont plan on accumulating anything past 4 or 5 points, )
anyways, for example looking at 2019 Draw recap: very first Tag: EE001E1R
my understanding that in true PP system, people at the top should have drawn first. but somehow there is a person with 6PP that got a tag, where next one up had 16PP skipping everyone in between? just wondering how things like this happen?

Or another example of where people with less PP get tags and people above them dont: EE002E1R

In general your understanding is correct, but in these instances it is due to the hybrid draw. In units that take more than 10 points for a resident to draw (averaged over, I think, three years), up to 20% of the tags are randomly drawn by those with 5 or more points.

i've looked at same thing, some of those must be a mistake?
ex: ELK bull tag for unit 11(plus all other units) EM01101R in 2019 they allocated 5,000 tags *(this is the highest number of tags in CO state i think), 2,154 of those went unclaimed into Leftover.
some resident used 16 Points !!,
but even then, there were a few people burning, 7, 6, 5,4 Points on a unit that looks like can be drawn with 0 every time?

so i really do wonder if some people burn their points as a mistake?

I'm sure it is a range of things. E.g. mistakes, people applying in a group to hunt with family/friends, thinking they have inside info to some specific animal to go after, to people who just don't care or understand the draw system, etc.

Perhaps I'm too much of a data nerd. Its just given the amount time and money many of us spend on trying make decision regarding these two scare resources in our own hunting decision making, it baffles me when someone uses their points in a way that seems way too out of the box for me...even if they have personal logic to it! ;)

@BrokenChicken

another quirk with those draw summaries providing a muddied view of the "true pp" nature of our system, is that those that don't draw that should have been next in line could very well have been group apps, and that is most often the explanation for the disparities seen.

see those eight people at 16 points in your first picture? it's likely those 7 that didn't draw of the 8 applied as a party. in reality, those seven others could've represented 7 parties actually (not a party of 7 with 16 points). we see those seven folks representing potentially 7 different parties each had 16 points, their other party members could have had 10, or 12, or 2 points, the lowest point holding member determines their position in the draw, thereby, they didn't draw. the one dude who applied as a single with 16 points got it - the other 7, for all intents and purposes, had less than 16 points.

add in there weren't enough tags at that point in the draw for parties to be fulfilled, and it just rolls onto the next single app with the highest point to snatch the last tag

Last edited:
In general your understanding is correct, but in these instances it is due to the hybrid draw. In units that take more than 10 points for a resident to draw (averaged over, I think, three years), up to 20% of the tags are randomly drawn by those with 5 or more points.

the hybrid draw is not for elk.

Everyone above 6 points who did not draw had more than one person on the app when there was only one tag remaining.

the hybrid draw is not for elk.

Everyone above 6 points who did not draw had more than one person on the app when there was only one tag remaining.

You are mistaken.

(1) Look at the bottom of page 19 of the 2020 Big Game Brochure. You will clearly see the two elk codes BrokenChicken listed as part of the hybrid for 2020.
(2) Look at the draw summaries BrokenChicken posted. Look at the box outlined in green, last row of the first table, you will see the amount of hybrid tags available.

Anyone miss out on a deer tag they thought they would draw because of point creep? I know a lot of people were predicting point creep this year with the dates moving back but maybe everyone is waiting until next year. I drew a tag that I wasn't thinking I had a shot at, then when I looked at the summary it shows that everyone with my points ended up drawing.

Anyone miss out on a deer tag they thought they would draw because of point creep? I know a lot of people were predicting point creep this year with the dates moving back but maybe everyone is waiting until next year. I drew a tag that I wasn't thinking I had a shot at, then when I looked at the summary it shows that everyone with my points ended up drawing.

My father missed out on his deer tag with double digit points. Creeped a point.

i think this year for deer and elk we saw some creep in various units we might not have normally seen. but overall, i think the biggest effect i experienced and am hearing about is hunt codes that have reliably been a second choice option suddenly becoming 50%, 40% 30% reliable at second choice, or worse

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back