Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Colorado cow moose

nrpate05

Ok, I think I'm going to put in for a cow moose this year. I have 3 points but 0 weighted points, so odds are slim, but it is my last year applying as a resident so I figure I'll go for it. It looks like CPW groups the cow moose tags together and then allocates them by weapon choice. For example, a quick look at a unit with 10 cow moose tags, 0 went to archers, 2 went to muzzleloader and 8 went to rifle hunters. Question is, is there any rhyme or reason to this allocation? Will choosing a different weapon give me better odds? They are different hunt codes, so I assume they look at them differently, but can't quite figure out how it works.

I think they all get lumped in together, multiple hunt codes are grouped together in the draw recaps reports. You can change method of take for moose after you get a tag. From last year's brochure:

DON’T FORGET:You can exchange your moose license for a different method of take within the same unit. Take your tag to a CPW location to exchange it to hunt in a different season. The exchange fee still applies.

So, no, choosing a different method of take won't change your odds.

Reactions: Oak
I think they all get lumped in together, multiple hunt codes are grouped together in the draw recaps reports. You can change method of take for moose after you get a tag. From last year's brochure:

DON’T FORGET:You can exchange your moose license for a different method of take within the same unit. Take your tag to a CPW location to exchange it to hunt in a different season. The exchange fee still applies.

So, no, choosing a different method of take won't change your odds.
Cow moose is by weapon type. Bull moose can exchange.

There are specific cow tags for each means of take. My rifle tag last year was only a rifle tag and could only be used during the rifle dates.

There is no exchange for bull or either sex. You can hunt all of the seasons using the appropriate method of take for that season until tag is filled. "Season choice" tag.

All of the cow tags, regardless of method, are lumped together in the draw. Draw odds are the same for all methods. If you decide to hunt a different method for cow, you can exchange the license for a different method. However, you can't hunt all of the seasons as you can under a "season choice" tag, only the season/method on your tag.

It's almost as screwed up as bear seasons.

Most bull licenses are good in all seasons ("season choice"). It means you can hunt all three until your license is filled.

Most cow licenses are still under the old system. Archery, muzzleloader, and rifle applicants are all lumped together and if you are successful you are issued the license you applied for. You can only hunt with that weapon, however, you can exchange your licenses for a different weapon before the season starts.

Ok, thanks for the replies. So it sounds like my odds of drawing are the same no matter which weapon I choose.

When you are applying for different draw tags, you may not get selected that year. But you in creased your odds by helping to fund the biologists that manage the wildlife. Through the North American model. It is a win.
I have bought a trapping license for years even though I don't consider myself anything more than using trapping as a way to go hang out in the woods in the winter months. It more a recreational thing. But I try to help our biologists and the beavers are destroying critical salmon spawning grounds. Mostly I'm just out exploring.
I spend my 20 bucks a year on drawings. It's really all a win

You would be wrong. Seen it done.
Have at it hoss:

2) (a) Any person who makes a false statement or provides false information in connection with applying for or purchasing a license, or any license agent who knowingly uses or accepts false information in connection with selling or issuing a license, is guilty of a misdemeanor and, upon conviction, shall be punished by the following fines….

Sorry I just tuned in for the priceless irony of foldem giving legal behaviour advise, but you have super odds of drawing a cow moose if you aren't picky about where you go to hunt them. Tasty too! The Princess has gotten several. This year I am over the minimum and have high hopes.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back