Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Colorado cow moose unit 7-8-191

coueshunter

Howdy, someone turned in their cow tag and I was offered it from Fish & Wildlife. I have 1st rifle cow. I live in Arizona so won't have an extended time to scout.
Anybody have info where to start looking?
Thanks!

Last edited:
You got my tag! I hope you find a cow. That's a great time to be in the mountains. Please post some photos here if you are able to punch a tag.

Good number of moose on the Wyoming side, not in every drainage but good numbers. They move back and forth . 191 probably right not so many, 7 and 8 you should find one.
Might find a cabin to stay in on USFS, Wyoming side or private at Wycolo.

I did just a little research and looked like 191 had the highest success. Tough to decide between 3 different units on which maps to buy etc.

Of those 3 I would probably pick 8. We have a cabin in that area and hunt it every year and see a LOT of cow moose up and down that unit. If you narrow down a unit I could throw some spots your way to help with looking.

Good morning, 8 it is. 2nd recommendation for that unit. I'll get some maps coming. Just realized opening day is less than 2 months! I need to tune up the 375 H&H to play a nice tune for that cow!
Thank you!

Of those 3 I would probably pick 8. We have a cabin in that area and hunt it every year and see a LOT of cow moose up and down that unit. If you narrow down a unit I could throw some spots your way to help with looking.

Hi, I spoke with the game warden and 8 seems like a good place to start. I would appreciate any info. Thanks so much!

Hi Ajax, yes 8 it is. Just picked up a map of 7/8 and info would be much appreciated. Thank you!

There was some low elevation habitat in all the units available, but it was listed as wildfire refund tag.

Back