Colorado Bull

Thanks for the congrats guys.

MtMiller, if you look closely there's actually two bullet holes. The first went through the shoulder just in front of the lung shot you can see well. I'll attach another picture...

BHR, it took a lot of years of applying to get to hunt elk in CO like your average elk. :(

Elkgunner, I saw a 350 6x7 taken on opening evening not too far from where I killed this bull, and a 345 6x6 taken the same day about a mile from this one.

Ithaca, I spent 7 days hiking the unit prior to the opener. I looked at 55 bulls in that time, but most of the bigger ones I saw were broken. They were rutting pretty heavy and bugling their fool heads off. It seemed like every ridge had 10-15 pinyon and juniper trees that had been destroyed by "tough guys". I spotted a bull the morning before the opener that I decided to try for the next day. I watched him for about 2 hours and decided he was good enough. He had short main beams like my bull, and was very average everywhere except his 2nds and 3rds. His 3rds were the longest points on the rack, and the wide point of the rack by a long shot. I suspect they were well over 20". His 2nds were almost as long. Kind of an interesting looking bull. Anyway, I hiked from the truck on opening morning at 5am, hoping to get to the ridge he had been on the previous day by daylight. About 5:05am I saw a jackass on an ATV motoring up the mountain in the distance, right where I thought he and his cows would be feeding. I figured the morning was shot, but continued. When I got near the area I could hear bugling, but it definately didn't sound like the bull I had seen the previous day. The bugle was being answered constantly by a really lousy bugle just above where he was. I thought it might be another hunter, so I hustled. I topped the last ridge when it was just getting light enough to see. I could see the bugling bull on the opposite ridge about 250 yards away, but couldn't tell for sure if it was "my" bull. I waited a couple of minutes, and it got light enough that I could tell it was a different, but better (#56) bull. That's all I needed. At the first shot (through both shoulders) he took a couple of steps and looked around, then started trotting away. I shot him again right behind the shoulder and he ran out of sight. I found him piled up about 30 yards from where he went out of my view. BTW, right after I shot, two raghorn bulls stepped out of the trees above where he had been. Wasn't a hunter bugling after all.

Desert Sheep, not RFW but a NW CO unit. 15 points

Miller, here's your picture...

Attachments

• Resize of 2005 Elk 016.JPG
    Resize of 2005 Elk 016.JPG
    103.4 KB · Views: 335
Two good shots! Thanks for the story. Many days and hours of scouting leads to a great bull five minutes after the season starts! That's the way I like to see it done! When I'd do that everybody would say, "Boy, that was an easy hunt! You sure were lucky!" :D I'd say, "You wanna get lucky like me? Start scouting next May."

Where's unit 15 in relation to Steamboat or Craig? I lived in Steamboat in the '70s but can't remember the unit numbers.

Ithaca, I didn't give the unit number ;), but it was west of Craig. I've done a lot of hunting, though, in the area you used to guide in. Actually, the four trophy units in the NW corner of the state are no big secret, but for those close to drawing the unit I hunted I'll keep it a secret to keep people from jumping units. If a person doesn't have at least 9 or 10 preference points now though, they might want to invest in a good walker with a rifle rest.

Oak

Great bull for Co.!!! congrats on a great bull!! what unit? What is official score? ( if you do such things?)

Congrats Oak, thats a beauty of a bull. Now you just have to find a spot on the wall for him.

I guess not. He mentioned a friend hunting the NW corner, Early rifle that was a wildlife Bio. He works for the White River National Forest. Timber.

big bulls

Congrats on the bull! I have also been stocking points away for "that" unit, although I'm still a couple years from having enough pref. points. It is really encouraging to me that the DOW has not raised the number of tags in those few areas where a 6x6 isn't an exception, thereby over hunting them as well.
I hunted deer and atelope in that area of the state for darn near 15 years and have seen some MONSTER bulls.
Again, great bull! I'd be more than happy with one like that when I draw!

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back