Colorado Boat Considerations

My buddy has had fishmaster for 20 years with no issues. Lot of good options out there. Best of luck to you. Picking a boat is hard!

Things I should watch out for if I go look at this boat? The Tyee ticks a lot of our boxes. The hull is a little older than I've been thinking, but the main is a 2013.

I would look at the transom for rot... which is harder as it probably has an aluminum shell, but look at the rivets and see if they are loose. Typically there is a battery box or access to the purge pump at the rear of the boat.... stick your head way down in there and see if you can see any of the exposed wood that would be splintering or if you can reach it poke it for soft spots.

Really walk around the interior in the typical spots, especially around the livewell. Some boats like mine had exposed wood on the underside of the livewell on half of it so that was the first spot that went bad and rotted out 30 years later. If you fell any give on a singular foot, more than likely the wood is getting weak and likely to need replaced.

The carpet probably is getting brittle if it has been exposed to a lot of sun. The first to get worn is the edges where you would walk from the drivers seat up to the bow, etc. Once that edge starts to go, it does not take long for the rest to start ripping.

Motors - Look at the lower unit to see if any oil is leaking out the back or out of any of the baffles. Oil leaks there indicate a seal bad. Defending on your mechanical inclination not hard, but marine mechanics are hard to come by and are going to be a few months out at this point in the summer. Also make sure to see both running with mufflers or in a bucket of water to ensure that the water pump is working efficiently. You should see a steady stream peeing out the water hole. If they are four stroke models, the will smoke a lot less than a 2 stroke but they are different animals completely.

I had a 1997 1850 Tyee Grand Sport. After 10 years the transom rotted so bad, you could compress it with your hands. We were lucky we didn’t have a major problem while fishing the Great Lakes before we discovered it. Expensive to have it repaired.

JD

I tabled this as we traveled to Alaska this summer. I'm now looking again. Still haven't really made up my mind.

Just to clarify, yes, it's mine now!

I had pretty much given up on finding a NW style boat locally and Lund Tyee or Crossover seemed to be a decent match for us with actual inventory.

I have looked at many 1985-2000 Lunds, which seemed to be the only years that were in my budget. All of these boats were eventual projects, many with transoms that were on their way out and most needing an interior redo, and most having 2 stroke engines.

Early last week I happened to be checking every dang boat within 400 miles on Craigslist when I found the above Hewes Craft. The brand was mispelled in the ad, so it hadn't matched my automated searches. I immediately arranged to see it as it was only an hours drive.

As soon as I was in it I knew I was looking at a whole different boat. The all welded construction fits me way better than the carpeted Midwestern boats.

To top it off, this boat has literally everything on my list and came in under budget. 😲 it's only 16.5 feet, so a little smaller but will actually fit in the garage. Also, FireTiger was glad it's not bigger. It feels more like 18ft when you're in it.

2012 Hewes Craft Sportsman 160
90hp Yamaha 4stroke ( 68 hours )
9.9 Yamaha 4stroke with Garmin autopilot
Minn kota terrova with ipilot
Hummingbird helix 10 on dash, helix 7 on stern
2 cannon electric downriggers
Fishing top, including removable sides and back
Four bank onboard charger
Swing tongue on the trailer

Came with a bunch of other accessories as well. I should be able to use it immediately, but I'd like to add some tracks for my preferred rod holders which won't work with this style of gunwale.

Beautiful boat you're going to be happy. Have a 2012 Yamaha 90 hp on our pontoon it's a great motor. Around 2001 I got a grant for the Sheriffs Office for a boat for enforcement and search & rescue. We were able to get a 19 foot Hewes Craft with a 175 hp inboard jet. It was perfect for the Missouri River. The longest run we made with it was from Great Falls to Cascade Mt. and back. It was about 25 miles by interstate one way and a lot farther by river. It was a long day but a good one. Hewes make a great boat you did good!!!

Just to clarify, yes, it's mine now!

I had pretty much given up on finding a NW style boat locally and Lund Tyee or Crossover seemed to be a decent match for us with actual inventory.

I have looked at many 1985-2000 Lunds, which seemed to be the only years that were in my budget. All of these boats were eventual projects, many with transoms that were on their way out and most needing an interior redo, and most having 2 stroke engines.

Early last week I happened to be checking every dang boat within 400 miles on Craigslist when I found the above Hewes Craft. The brand was mispelled in the ad, so it hadn't matched my automated searches. I immediately arranged to see it as it was only an hours drive.

As soon as I was in it I knew I was looking at a whole different boat. The all welded construction fits me way better than the carpeted Midwestern boats.

To top it off, this boat has literally everything on my list and came in under budget. 😲 it's only 16.5 feet, so a little smaller but will actually fit in the garage. Also, FireTiger was glad it's not bigger. It feels more like 18ft when you're in it.

2012 Hewes Craft Sportsman 160
90hp Yamaha 4stroke ( 68 hours )
9.9 Yamaha 4stroke with Garmin autopilot
Minn kota terrova with ipilot
Hummingbird helix 10 on dash, helix 7 on stern
2 cannon electric downriggers
Fishing top, including removable sides and back
Four bank onboard charger
Swing tongue on the trailer

Came with a bunch of other accessories as well. I should be able to use it immediately, but I'd like to add some tracks for my preferred rod holders which won't work with this style of gunwale.
Curious what you paid for that boat. Low hours, all welded, well setup. Very nice!!

I know boats pretty well. Rebuilt an old aluminum starcraft during covid, around the size of your boat, from the bare hull up. Put a new motor on it, basically have a new boat. Id like a bimini setup like yours eventually.

68 hours though, thats pretty much new.

71348302362__ACF97BC6-C917-4522-8C11-2DE097AD0B85.fullsizerender.jpeg

If you want to spend more to get you back up to your target budget, look into changing the prop for a lower pitch and adding a jack plate. It'll help that 90 tremendously.

Watch some YouTube on your electronics, once you get those dialed in and you pass through Cheyenne, I'll tell you where to pick me up.

All joking aside, I love my boat. It's not a hot rod, but a jack plate and new prop really helped with the low end torque I was wanting but lacked. I'm a Garmin fanboy and prefer the touchscreen, so I'm no help with your sonars. If you are looking for help, a lot of fishing guides will come with you on your boat to help you get familiar and dial in your set up. Just FYI.

Good looking boat and set up!

Curious what you paid for that boat. Low hours, all welded, well setup. Very nice!!

I know boats pretty well. Rebuilt an old aluminum starcraft during covid, around the size of your boat, from the bare hull up. Put a new motor on it, basically have a new boat. Id like a bimini setup like yours eventually.

68 hours though, thats pretty much new.

View attachment 318654

Looks like you did an excellent job from that photo!

Looks like you did an excellent job from that photo!
Thanks. Built it as a fish/ski setup. Need more fun tokens to finish out the fish part with some tracks. Maybe have the upholstery professionally done one day or learn how to sew.

A couple test runs ... beautiful days on the water but no fish thus far, not that we were trying very hard. First trip was just pushing all the buttons and such with a buddy. Second trip trying it out with the family.

Everything works properly with the exception of the motor on the Terrova - it needs a lower unit cleaning and new seals. The autopilot on the Kicker is pretty sweet.

1000004831.jpg

1000004836.jpg

1000004864.jpg

1000004866.jpg

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jahmes143
Back