Colorado Big Game Structure 2020 - 2024

Camosteve4Colorado

If anyone has some input CPW has a Public Comment Form on their Web Sight for the 5 Year structure plan, I know most don't have time to make the meeting in person this is a chance to have some Positive or Negative input, Just go to CPW, Things to do, and 5 year structure, right hand side of screen under Additional Documents, This is for a computer it would be a little different for a Cell Phone.

I also encourage those of you hunt Colorado to take this survey if you haven't yet. It takes about 5 minutes. If you have any input on current big game season structure or overlapping seasons, then this survey is an opportunity to voice your opinion. Thanks for posting Camosteve.

Apparently, I'm an idiot and I can't find it on the website. Anyone willing to drop the link to the specific survey page?

Great post! I've been wanting to tell them to make seasons start on weekdays to decrease pressure on opening weekends and allow those of us willing to take off work to get in hunting days before the weekend crowd

Great post! I've been wanting to tell them to make seasons start on weekdays to decrease pressure on opening weekends and allow those of us willing to take off work to get in hunting days before the weekend crowd

This is an interesting thought and in some ways I like it, but I want to provide a different perspective on it. I have found a serious passion for elk hunting in recent years, but I happen to be a school principal and the fall is one of our busiest times of year. I would LOVE to be able to take off a full week or even 2-3 days each year to get out on a true "camp" hunt. Unfortunately, regardless of my passion for it and my desire to be in the field as much as possible, I'm forced to be a "weekend warrior" because of life circumstances.

I guess it's not that I'm not "willing" to take work off or that I'm any less worthy of having hunting days without as much pressure because of that. It's simply that the kids/teachers in my school are more important than my personal adventures and I'm sure many others are in the same boat, whatever field/industry they work in.

Just my two cents.

This is an interesting thought and in some ways I like it, but I want to provide a different perspective on it. I have found a serious passion for elk hunting in recent years, but I happen to be a school principal and the fall is one of our busiest times of year. I would LOVE to be able to take off a full week or even 2-3 days each year to get out on a true "camp" hunt. Unfortunately, regardless of my passion for it and my desire to be in the field as much as possible, I'm forced to be a "weekend warrior" because of life circumstances.
Just my two cents.

This kind of change would help the weekend warrior, as it spreads out the pressure. I say, keep it at 2 weekends per season, but open it on a Thursday to get some people’s tags filled before the first weekend so you see less hunters out there that Saturday!

Doesn't archery season start before school? Both my parents were teachers so I have a healthy respect for the professions, but come on "simply that the kids/teachers in my school are more important than my personal adventures" eye roll. You could easily take off a day or two during hunting season. I grew up in eagle county, CO off the top of my head I can think of 5 or 6 teachers who used up all their sick days each year hunting

Honestly I think having seasons always start on the weekend is fine, but just easy on the rhetoric, "I like the way it is" would suffice.

Last edited:
As a high school math teacher I get 10 days off during the school year no questions asked. It depends on what district you teach in for what is allowed on your vacation/sick days. I use roughly 5 - 6 days in the fall for hunting. Personal choice. I am a weekend warrior because of my job, but my "best" hunts I try to add a day or two in the field as long as it is practical. I also have a retired math teacher who comes in for a sub when I'm gone.

Replied thusly: Offer 2 more tags/season in the highest point units for 5 years. Archery during all of Sept, inc. Labor day weekend if that extends into Aug.

Muzzy on 3rd week of Sept.

1st rifle season starts on Wed, ends Sun.

On leftover sales day, eliminate lines and computer crash by assigning a random # in advance to everyone interested. When it is your turn, you can buy one tag/species off the list, online or in person. After everyone w a # gets a turn, then it becomes wide open online as now.

Allow purchase of 2nd "A" tag from leftover list within 30 days of start of that season. Eliminate either sex tags entirely, including archery.

Require game damage recipients to allow youth hunters w mentors on PLO tags. Increase the portion of youth antlerless tags on RFWs. Recruitment is key!

Back