Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Colorado Big Game Structure 2020 - 2024

This kind of change would help the weekend warrior, as it spreads out the pressure. I say, keep it at 2 weekends per season, but open it on a Thursday to get some people’s tags filled before the first weekend so you see fewer hunters out there that Saturday!

I very much agree that it helps decrease pressure. I have hunted the muzzleloader season in Utah for years. In Utah, the muzzy seasons always start on a Wednesday and many times I am done before the weekend arrives. In contrast, the rifle seasons start on a Saturday and there is hardly a ridge to be had that doesnt already have someone posted. Pepople go to some pretty big extremes to get a foot up (wall tents packed in several miles and placed right in the middle of hte migration cooridor) on other hunters. I'm all for opening days during the week.

Now, Utah is far from a great example for wildlife management, but I do think that is one thing that is done correctly.

What's your thought here?

I watched many of these A tags linger on the list for the last 2 falls, and go unclaimed. Some were cow tags. I would have grabbed one if it were allowed. The 30 day bit is to focus on the tags that otherwise go unclaimed. I already had an A cow tag this fall, could not buy another A tag.

My input to the survey:
"-Enforce preference point/application fees on elk, deer, and antelope. Raise the fees to $25 for residents and $50 for NR. Add credit card processing fees to offset cost(3%). The current system model invited too many applicants into all species draws last year, ruined all previous applicants/point holders draw chances, and doomed the preference point system for the foreseeable future.
-Change the preference point system to something else. Weighted, bonus, hybrid, or even random?
-Point creep is a problem. Offsetting point creep with unlimited OTC opportunity is not the answer, even though it does create a massive amount of out of state revenue. By not capping tags, we are crowding habitat and ruining fragile ground, especially in units that are under population objectives.
-Mandatory harvest reports for all hunters. I do not feel harvest stats are accurate when randomly chosen tag holders are asked for input after season. Technology has allowed hunters to be more precise and effective. More precise info is needed on harvest and survey technology is a cheap way to access that information and create a usable database. Just like the survey I completed this evening."

Anyone agree or disagree? I'm happy to discuss these topics. It's the only way things are going to change.

Most important is to participate in the survey on CPW's Website!
Add your two cents. It was quick and easy.
The deadline is tomorrow!

Last edited:
Personally I think the CO system for the big three works well, I think if you made all elk hunts in CO limited, ie if you have a CO tag in your pocket you can’t get a preference point that year, you would do a lot to help curb point creep.

Nonresident Telephone Town Hall: 6:00 p.m., Feb. 4th, 877-229-8493, passcode 111956​

Northeast Region: Feb. 5, 6:30 p.m., Council Tree Library (Large Meeting Room C),​ 2733 Council Tree Avenue​, Fort Collins (I'll be at this one)​

​Area 15: Feb. 6, 6 p.m., Durango Recreation Center, 2700 Main Avenue, Durango

Area 16: Feb. 6​, 6 p.m., Wildlife Service Center, 3000 W. New York Avenue, Gunnison

Area 17: Feb. 6, 6 p.m., Wildlife Service Center, 0722 S Road 1 East, ​Monte Vista

Area 18:​ Feb. 6, 6 p.m., ​Delta-Montrose Electric Association, 1925 6300 Road, Montrose​​

Northeast Region: Feb. 7, 6:00 p.m., CPW Hunter Education Building, 6060 Broadway, Denver

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Caleb_u
Back