Colorado Big Game Change??

There is no $50 fee for elk or pronghorn points. At least not yet. I am sure there will be a fee next year though. I’m a resident and it will cost me about $200 more this year.

That is correct. Same as Utah, Arizona, Alaska, New Mexico, etc etc...

Prices were ridiculously low last year, I'm happy to see CPAW moving in the right direction.

Good move in the right direction IMO. There is only a PP fee for the big three right now. I'd like to see one in the future for Elk/Lope/Deer.

I called CO Game & Fish about non-resident deer PP (I am only interested in deer for CO) and the guy I talked to said that if I only wanted to apply for a deer PP it would be $80 for a small game license, $10 habitat stamp, and $9 application fee = $99. This year there is no extra fee for a deer, antelope, or elk PP (this was stated on the website).

I get it - CO can do whatever CO wants, but this approach strikes me funny. If they would have just said preference point is $90 and app fee $9 I would have thought, "a little pricier than WY or MT but what the heck I'm in." Instead I feel like I am being ripped off buying a small game license and stamp I will not use. I get it that it is the same either way (and maybe cheaper if I go for 3 species PP), but feels off. But thanks for the clarifications.

I don't know if CPW states the reasoning anywhere, but I am pretty sure that the intent of selling more small game licenses is that they count when allocations are made from Pittman-Robertson. More licenses sold = bigger allocation of federal funds. So, they are just playing the game and trying to get the most benefit from your $99.

I get it - CO can do whatever CO wants, but this approach strikes me funny. If they would have just said preference point is $90 and app fee $9 I would have thought, "a little pricier than WY or MT but what the heck I'm in." Instead I feel like I am being ripped off buying a small game license and stamp I will not use. I get it that it is the same either way (and maybe cheaper if I go for 3 species PP), but feels off. But thanks for the clarifications.

I think it's just a naming convention, other states make you buy a general hunting license to apply in the draw. In these states the general hunting license just lets you hunt small game, Utah for instance makes you buy a $65 Hunting License to apply and then charges you $10 per species. The hunting license just lets you hunt small game, so yeah CO could change the name of the license from small game to "general hunting license" but in reality Colorado is just following most of the other western states lead.

That is correct. Same as Utah, Arizona, Alaska, New Mexico, etc etc...

Prices were ridiculously low last year, I'm happy to see CPAW moving in the right direction.

I couldn't agree more. I hope to see even a little relief on points creep since people will have to be a little more committed. Last year was an absolute joke.

I think it's just a naming convention, other states make you buy a general hunting license to apply in the draw. In these states the general hunting license just lets you hunt small game, Utah for instance makes you buy a $65 Hunting License to apply and then charges you $10 per species. The hunting license just lets you hunt small game, so yeah CO could change the name of the license from small game to "general hunting license" but in reality Colorado is just following most of the other western states lead.

I guess I was just spoiled by MT & WY.

I couldn't agree more. I hope to see even a little relief on points creep since people will have to be a little more committed. Last year was an absolute joke.

i think last year was a calculated measure. Think of how many people bought the cheap points and will now feel like they are in the game and will continue at the higher fees. Colorado did that on purpose.

I don't know if CPW states the reasoning anywhere, but I am pretty sure that the intent of selling more small game licenses is that they count when allocations are made from Pittman-Robertson. More licenses sold = bigger allocation of federal funds. So, they are just playing the game and trying to get the most benefit from your $99.

Interesting hypothesis. I bet you are right.

Kinda funny how people can whine and moan about private land and outfitters, and then celebrate when the government prices people out of hunting on public land.

If all these states are making non-residents purchase a hunting license just to get more Pittman-Robertson money, why can’t the lower the price a bit. They’ll be selling more licenses, and they’ll get more money elsewhere justbfor selling. Can they really not cut the license price in half?

Last edited:
i think last year was a calculated measure. Think of how many people bought the cheap points and will now feel like they are in the game and will continue at the higher fees. Colorado did that on purpose.

You are giving them too much credit. Last year our state govt passed a bill giving the wildlife commission the power to set fees. Prior to this year, any change in fees had to go through the same process as any other bill in the state.

They are just giving you the opportunity/excuse to come out and hunt small game if you can't draw the big game tag you want. Behind elk the rabbit hunting is superb.

I don't know if I'll ever use the small game license in Colorado. But at least you do get something for your money, rather than just a high point fee. Really, after it's all said and done, price per year for deer/elk/lope will be pretty close to what I pay in Wyoming.

Please check my math.
$80 license + $10 stamp + $27 application fees for deer/lope/elk = $117 ??
Wyoming is around $125 for the 3.
I normally just by Elk and Deer for Col but now might as well pay the extra $9 for the antelope point.

Please check my math.
$80 license + $10 stamp + $27 application fees for deer/lope/elk = $117 ??
Wyoming is around $125 for the 3.
I normally just by Elk and Deer for Col but now might as well pay the extra $9 for the antelope point.

That is for just points in Wyoming. You need to add about $32 for elk and $25 for deer and antelope to actually apply. It’s over $200 to apply and build points in Wyoming for deer, elk, and antelope. It’s about $120 for deer, elk, and antelope in Colorado.

Colorado is one of the least expensive states to apply in now

now might as well pay the extra $9 for the antelope point.

Why bother.... I'm a resident and I don't even buy CO antelope points just go to Wyoming, I got a better buck in 23 last year than my brother-n-law got in CO with 15 points

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tracker boat
Back