Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Colorado Assault Weapons Ban Submitted

I didn’t know the NRA gave $$ to the Dems?
Gun rights groups give money to a certain political party because a certain other political party is always trying to take away certain fundamental rights. It’s weird how that works!

Here’s some reality:

for those who only form their opinions from headlines:

Taken from another forum-

In 2022 there were 45222 total gun related deaths, which means with a population of 328m, that represents .0138%

of that 45,222, 54% were suicides, leaving 19,445

Of that 19,445, 1097 were shot by law enforcement. Another 492 were accidental shootings (the majority of which were under the age of 24)

Leaving 17,856

In those remaining shootings, 3% were made up of assault rifles , with what I expect is a very liberal interpretation of what an assault rifle is, along with 1% being shotguns. 54% were handguns, the remaining instances were not specifically stated. The number of people that die by assault rifles in this country are about the same as those who die of carbon monoxide. more than twice as many people die from hypothermia, 9x as many people die from dehydration, 11x as many people die from malnutrition

While admittedly this is a meaningless stat, if you were divide the 17,856 number by 50 , representing the total number of states, that gives you 357, or an average of less than 1 fatal shooting per day in each state

Looking at 10 traditionally gun violent city total numbers (some numbers were from 2021 but there shouldn't be a significant difference in totals)

St. Louis, MO - 196
Chicago, IL - 556
Detroit, MI - 293
Indianapolis, IN - 293
New Orleans, LA - 280
Washington, DC - 203
Baltimore, MD - 333
Columbus, OH - 173
Los Angeles, CA - 382
New York, NY - 246

for a total of 2955, or about 17% of all gun fatalities after removing suicide, law enforcement and accidental death in the United States.

While these numbers are concerning, based on these numbers, there doesn't appear to be an epidemic of gun violence in this country, and for the overwhelming majority, the reality of facing gun violence should be a much smaller concern than many Americans believe.

If you remove additional risk factors such as not living in the 60 counties that produce a high % of gun violence, do not interact with known felons and of course do not engage in criminal activities, gun violence in the daily life of an American is statistically meaningless. That's pretty cavalier to say to a country indoctrinated in the evils of guns, but even with increases in gun violence , its hard to argue fear of gun violence is a realistic concern for Americans avoiding those 3 factors.

It’s always been that way.

Btw- By comparison, A 2018 John Hopkins study found that over 250,000 people die from medical malpractice in the United States each year which represents .08% of the population. I also won’t get into the deaths just from fentanyl.
The reason for traction on “assault rifles” is that it plays well with millions of white soccer moms in the suburbs. They aren’t touched by handgun violence in the streets, and the country as a whole is clueless about suicide, but after decades of fearing their kid will be abducted if allowed to play in a park (a rant for another thread) they now are convinced they will all be columbine victims. It’s politics, it’s money, it’s persuasion, and if the “cold dead hands” folks don’t get a clue pretty soon and find a way to bring suburbanites into the fold voting patterns make it clear we will have Australia-type rules within the next 20 yrs.

I didn’t know the NRA gave $$ to the Dems?
Care to answer why we are talking “assault” weapons instead of handguns?

Go look up the stats that I posted. Hint, you can find that info on the CDC, PewResearch, and FBI websites. Then come back and tell me how much of a crisis it is in the grand scheme of things compared to how it’s being portrayed in the media.

Edit: you just did

The reason for traction on “assault rifles” is that it plays well with millions of white soccer moms in the suburbs. They aren’t touched by handgun violence in the streets, and the country as a whole is clueless about suicide, but after decades of fearing their kid will be abducted if allowed to play in a park (a rant for another thread) they now are convinced they will all be columbine victims. It’s politics, it’s money, it’s persuasion, and if the “cold dead hands” folks don’t get a clue pretty soon and find a way to bring suburbanites into the fold voting patterns make it clear we will have Australia-type rules within the next 20 yrs.
You can’t talk reason, statistics, and facts with a group who vote and think on emotions. The numbers are out there for everyone to see but when one political party only plays on emotion, and never talks about facts, what do you expect?

You’re right, it’s all politics instead of facts! Thank you

Chicken meet egg
I really do understand the point you’re trying to make.

Except one side fundraises to combat a very real demonstrated threat (the attack on 2A rights/guns that perpetuates in Blue states literally every legislative cycle) and one side fundraises to combat a made up fairytale boogeyman (gun violence epidemic/mass shooting hysteria/blah blah blah).

One side makes up a threat in order to gain political clout and one side is responding to an actual literal threat. It’s dishonest to compare the two.

Here’s what chaps my a** the most. Every elected official takes an oath to uphold the constitution yet they go out of their way to break that oath with such ease ( both sides ). Anyone who introduces a bill that goes against the constitution should be forced to immediately resign. Yet, here we are as taxpayers paying for all these legal battles that, most of the time, are overturned (2A). So much time and money that could be better invested.

Tell you what, if the NRA ever figures out that most ethnic minorities are genuinely interested in self-protection and hunting too. Or that LGBTQ identifying are rich and love guns. Or yes, that women everywhere could appreciate the satisfaction knowing they can put a bad guy down with a pretty rosewood-handled Lady Smith.

I had some family over for Easter. One of them, she’s got a couple fancy degrees. Her husband used to be in to guns before she castrated him and keeps his nuts locked away in her purse. Anyhow I was showing him one of my prs guns, a bolt action 6 creedmore in a krg chassis. She had to make the comment that people shouldn’t be able to own things like that. I asked her to elaborate? The reply, “guns for killing people”. What would give her the impression that gun was designed for killing people? It’s black, has a “clip”, and looks scary, a big scope, etc. those were the answers.
bud light sucks!
Anyone know what the best light Montana beers are? Asking for a friend.

I had some family over for Easter. One of them, she’s got a couple fancy degrees. Her husband used to be in to guns before she castrated him and keeps his nuts locked away in her purse. Anyhow I was showing him one of my prs guns, a bolt action 6 creedmore in a krg chassis. She had to make the comment that people shouldn’t be able to own things like that. I asked her to elaborate? The reply, “guns for killing people”. What would give her the impression that gun was designed for killing people? It’s black, has a “clip”, and looks scary, a big scope, etc. those were the answers.

I saw a time lapse video once of an innocent looking wood stocked rifle that was outfitted with aftermarket accessories. When done it appeared to be an evil black gun. Wish I could find it. mtmuley

Tell you what, if the NRA ever figures out that most ethnic minorities are genuinely interested in self-protection and hunting too. Or that LGBTQ identifying are rich and love guns. Or yes, that women everywhere could appreciate the satisfaction knowing they can put a bad guy down with a pretty rosewood-handled Lady Smith.
Blacks and women are the fastest growing segment of new handgun owners.

Wife’s brother is similar to what you described. He’s not allowed in my house. Ever.

You seen “Documentary Now”?! Armisen as Kanuk is soooo good.
Unrelated to the thread but Documentary Now is actually too good. I forget sometimes I'm watching a fake. The one with the FBI cult was terrific. I actually felt sympathetic towards the cult members and the community they were antagonizing. But the Steelers Easter eggs, the orgasm jars, the pool noodling...just hilarious stuff.

Blacks and women are the fastest growing segment of new handgun owners.
I’m a Lutheran, Past Master Mason and current NRA member. I can say for sure that exclusion (especially regarding that which has nothing to do with the group) as a defining characteristic does not attract new members. I firmly believe that people from all walks of life can be included in enjoying firearms.

I saw a time lapse video once of an innocent looking wood stocked rifle that was outfitted with aftermarket accessories. When done it appeared to be an evil black gun. Wish I could find it. mtmuley
I’ve seen it I think, variations of mini 14’s. I once showed a gal a picture of a wood stock mini 14 then one with a pistol grip and a 30rd banana clip and a skeletonized stock. She looked confused when I told her they were the same gun and did the same thing.

would one of you free guys let me come over and hold your ar?
I’m not allowed to buy them anymore because of the imaginary lines that surround me.
I got a suppressed “pistol” with a “arm brace”. Don’t get more fun unless you get a lic for full auto. My governor said not here to the feds new “ruling”. You bring the green tips.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muleydude
Back