Colorado Assault Weapons Ban Submitted

Colorado is screwed. They are going to turn that place into eastern California in no time.
Much too late! I left there 47 years ago and the Californication was well under way then. Were it not for family and friends still there it would be a flyover state for me. Sorry, I used to love the place, home of my wife and source of many great memories but I had enough.

I understand the reasoning....most mass shootings has involved high capacity magazines.
Rarely is a 3-shot bolt action rifle or 6-shot revolver used to kill dozens of people.

The Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting killed 26 people.
The shooter used a Bushmaster XM15-E2S rifle purchased by his mother
and ten 30-shot magazines.

The Las Vegas mass shooting included AR-15 rifles with 100-round magazines ,more than 1,000 bullets fired, killing 60 people and wounding 413.

Much too late! I left there 47 years ago and the Californication was well under way then. Were it not for family and friends still there it would be a flyover state for me. Sorry, I used to love the place, home of my wife and source of many great memories but I had enough.
Colorado politics are messed up for sure. But I will live here happily long before residing in any non western non public land state. Guess it is the value of where I spend time outdoors daily and what I do with that time that matters most. Be hard to give up mountains and vast public lands and wildlife at the door step.

Colorado politics are messed up for sure. But I will live here happily long before residing in any non western non public land state. Guess it is the value of where I spend time outdoors daily and what I do with that time that matters most. Be hard to give up mountains and vast public lands and wildlife at the door step.
Understood, and it wasn't an easy decision, but my children's future dictated that we leave what I could see Colorado becoming. Besides, there's hunting and fishing here in great abundance and I still get West on occasion for pronghorn. At my age elk hunting had to be put aside.

I understand the reasoning....most mass shootings has involved high capacity magazines.
Rarely is a 3-shot bolt action rifle or 6-shot revolver used to kill dozens of people.

The Las Vegas mass shooting included AR-15 rifles with 100-round magazines ,more than 1,000 bullets fired, killing 60 people and wounding 413.

Guns are just the last chain in a list of problems. Solving healthcare, mental health, and issues with single parent households should be a priority. Those things are hard. Blaming guns is easy for dipshit politicians to yell into a camera about and absolves them of having to do anything constructive.

Funding mental health care for a big one...that nobody seems to take seriously or care about.

That's definitely important, they do it here in CO, but I'd be shocked if it made much of a dent in gun crime. Seems to me like many of the shootings I've heard about lately could've been easily avoided if people would do two things better:

1. Family/friends/acquaintances close to the shooter need to step up and speak up when that person's behavior changes.
2. Law enforcement needs to follow the rules we already have in place regarding Red Flag laws and active shooter response.

The Uvalde school shooting comes to my mind as a recent prime example, failures on all sides, from the shooter's grandmother to the worthless police force who sat outside the school on their thumbs while the shooting took place. I firmly believe we have the tools to work effectively against gun crime already in place, but the fact that lots of people just plain suck and can't do the right thing when necessary is what gets in the way.

Last edited:
It’s sad that were it not for the area from boulder through Denver metro, Colorado would be a red state.
I mean you can make comments like this everywhere. "If it weren't for the areas surrounding Bozeman and Missoula, Montana would be a blue state". Its nonsensical. Colorado is blue, but its way closer to purple than it is deep blue.

Here's the thing, I think most moderate Democrats and Republicans hate the term "gun control" and instead are looking for something closer to better "Gun management" - in terms of ease of buying guns and underage access to guns. I mean a 6 year old just took a gun to school and shot his teacher. WTF. I have failed miserably as a parent if my 8 year old is able to access my 10mm.

This is a multi faceted problem and mental health is a part of this. And the earlier poster is right that of course it came to this; people in power stuck their head up their ass and said "what can we do" while literally having the power to do a lot of things.

Also for those of us that are parents, you know how heartbreaking it is that kids - young kids - are having to practice active shooter drills at schools. And we wonder - along with social media, etc - why kids anxiety levels are at an all time high. This shit has to stop.

So if we don't want bans, what are willing to do?

The fact of the matter, if you review the stats, shows that most murders are committed with handguns by inner city blacks.

"Nationwide, handguns are by far the most commonly used firearm type in murder cases, and in Colorado, handguns were used in 141 of the 202 murder cases involving firearms."

Routine Google search...

The point of baning 'assault weapons' is to disarm right wing oriented people.

Yes, true but there are many other ways of manufacturing magazines at home such as 3d printers. Unfortunately this problem will continue unless the real issues are addressed (mental illness). Just four years ago as a sophomore in Highschool, one of locker mates in football brought a gun to school and was never seen again. I had known him for 4 years and he had severe family issues at home and he always acted out.

Would you understand the reasoning if doctors spent 90% of their time focusing on diseases that were the rarest in nature and unlikely to affect any of their patients?

I had to read your post multiple times for it to really hit home ...You are 100% correct. I'm a die hard 2A guy and I've never thought about it the way you wrote it.
Thank you for that. There’s so much dogma and group-think (as there is on any issue) in this discussion that most people just react emotionally the second you say something they don’t like and refuse to listen.

If you think a bunch of dead kids is the cost of doing business to be an American, then you’re part of the problem.
Banning a specific tool (for law-abiding citizens) that is used very rarely (by criminals, who are not going to follow any laws) to murder people is going to make our kids safer? I don't think so. Those that trade freedom for security end up with neither.

Banning a specific tool (for law-abiding citizens) that is used very rarely (by criminals, who are not going to follow any laws) to murder people is going to make our kids safer? I don't think so. Those that trade freedom for security end up with neither.
Stale, trite argument missing Jim Anderson's points. The stale "pry-my-..." rhetoric is even proving to be more empowering for the anti crowd.
Solutions, not 2A / NRA quotes are what are going to move the needle and also to protect rights and privileges.

What are those things?
You know how some people spend 10 or 15 years complaining about their job instead of taking action to change things, and then after that 15 years they realize that they’re still where they were all that time ago? Nothing changed because they didn’t TRY.

For the person that did change, Maybe the first idea didn’t work, maybe the second, or third, but they kept trying because they were making an HONEST attempt to change something.

The NRA/GOP ideological complex is an example of that person who refused to take action. They just sit down and pout.

ONE (let alone dozens) school shooting is enough to make a ton of people want to “ban guns”. It is an emotional and illogical reaction to a horrible event…but it is happening.

There are many things that could have been tried: expanding mental health care, education programs, background checks ( I know….gasp and clutch your pearls), storage laws….I’m sure there are more things.

But instead, people just dig their mule-like heels into the ground and made petulant, selfish, simple-minded, “don’t tread on me” noises.

What I’m endeavoring to say is that doing nothing, when you are outnumbered, and facing a real problem (Gun violence is a real problem. It may not be my problem, or your problem really, because we’re not horrible people, but it is A problem. A problem that the majority of Americans want to do something about- regardless of the accuracy of their perceptions. It is THEIR reality,) will get you nowhere.

From a selfish perspective, as a gun owner it would benefit ME to work with the people who disagree with me. No matter how hard that is. Otherwise I look like a callus, uncaring fool who is unable to perceive nuance.

So here we are 15 years later, and we’ve done nothing, but we’re still complaining about people wanting to ban guns. I’d much rather have an expanded mental health program I don’t like, or a stupid storage law, than the man outlawing my guns completely. Life is about compromise. If you’re completely unwilling to compromise on anything, ever, then your acting a fool.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MontanaPete59102
Back