MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Colorado Assault Weapons Ban Submitted

You see what we just did there? Yeah… NM has more than 3x the homicide rate of OR. Portland is safe. Those purple-haired left-handed nonbinaries ain’t going to hurt anyone.
Ouch, got me. So if Portland (Oregon) is so safe why are we having to get a second background check, take a test, and get a permit before we can even attempt to buy a gun? Not to mention a “hi cap” magazine ban? The dumbass liberals who voted for and wrote our new “law” didn’t even think about the new gun buyer. How are you supposed to take a test to prove you’re safe with your new gun if you can’t buy a gun unless you’ve taken the test. Typical liberal thought process.

So, are you saying there is no need to have these new laws in place since it’s so safe in Portland. If so, I agree, it’s just another feel good law like the rest they’re trying to pass.

Damn. Thanks for posting. I guess I need to sit down and read the entire law. I have an AR that was gifted to me by my uncle prior to his death. I can't prove ownership. If I register the AR according to the IL law, does that constitute ownership?

I also wonder if I convert the ARs to a bolt action rifle with a Kali Key if they would be legal and not require registration?
Well so I’m specifically speaking with regards to the Colorado issue proposed I have no idea about IL. But if you are getting the gun registered through their law I would think that yes that constitutes ownership as long as you can keep proof that it’s registered. I’m in the same boat though with deceased family members possessions.

In reality most/all gun laws are just where each person is willing to draw their own moral line. Should you ever need to prove ownership? No probably not unless you’re doing something you shouldn’t be to begin with. And if someone asks you to prove ownership what you do next is once again only a question we can all ask ourselves.

Well so I’m specifically speaking with regards to the Colorado issue proposed I have no idea about IL. But if you are getting the gun registered through their law I would think that yes that constitutes ownership as long as you can keep proof that it’s registered. I’m in the same boat though with deceased family members possessions.

In reality most/all gun laws are just where each person is willing to draw their own moral line. Should you ever need to prove ownership? No probably not unless you’re doing something you shouldn’t be to begin with. And if someone asks you to prove ownership what you do next is once again only a question we can all ask ourselves.
my confusion. i thought your post from scribd was the IL law. I probably should have created an Illinois thread. Have been hesitant as these kinds of threads end up as dumpster fires. There seems to be alot of confusion on the IL law. A couple of my friends are in law enforcement and are just as confused and not sure what to do. When I got to the part about Olympic shooter exceptions I stopped reading the law; i guess I need to plow through the 120 pages.

“As long as our approach to violence is to go after the means rather than the motivation, we will fail. A person who is truly bent on destruction of lives, whether it is their own or someone else's, isn't going to be dissuaded by taking away their first choice of tool, they'll just go back to the box and get a different one. Until you address the motivation, you accomplish nothing.”

Pretty much sums it up for me.

Why is a knife illegal but not an AR-15? Is a knife not an arm... why does Heller not apply to switch blades?
Umm no. A knife is a weapon, but I have never heard of it being construed as an 'arm.' You seem to be really grasping for an argument here.
Is it or are you conflating the 2A and the combative language of the Declaration. The words Tyranny and Tyrant do not appear in the constitution, Defend only appears as once in the oath of office for the president.
The Bill of Rights does not provide reasoning for each enumerated right. A very minimal amount of research will make it clear to anyone that the intent was defending one's self, property, and liberty (from a tyrannical government...like the British crown). Is any of this necessary for me type out? Are you just arguing for argument's sake??

@Bullbrl we choose to live where we do for personal reasons. The liberals where you choose to live is no surprise to anyone. Like, say you went to NYC and complained about those darn Italian restaurants what with their noodles and sauce?

@Bullbrl we choose to live where we do for personal reasons. The liberals where you choose to live is no surprise to anyone. Like, say you went to NYC and complained about those darn Italian restaurants what with their noodles and sauce?
Actually, I’m in the east side of the state that voted against the ballot measures.

The dumbass liberals who voted for and wrote our new “law” didn’t even think about the new gun buyer.
Isn't this partially the issue many are raising? If gun owners don't participate then we simply aren't at the table when it's law are written. I complained about many of WA recent-ish gun laws for the same reasons, people who knew nothing about guns or gun ownership were the ones writing the laws because none of the pro-gun lobbies were interested in participating. How did that lack of participation help any of the gun owners in WA? It didn't. It left us exposed to risk and liability under unnecessary circumstances.

Umm no. A knife is a weapon, but I have never heard of it being construed as an 'arm.' You seem to be really grasping for an argument here.
Why is there a continuum of outrage? Switchblades meh illegal fine… MK 48 also illegal…? But the AR is the Goldilocks gun…

I’m not trying to make a larger point ^ that just doesn’t make logical sense to me… also some weird laws about swords on the books, which lets be honest if we want to talk original definition of arms.

Hell black powder rifles, the gun of the 2A times aren't even considered gun in MA… which is bizarre if you think about it.

Humans are weird creatures all im saying.

One thought to keep in mind when trying to make sense of these policies and the proponents/opponents of them - behavioral psychologists and anthropologists often point out a simple truth - In the human mind, alienation from the group/tribe is worse than death. Once you understand that, one realizes that very little about modern politics/policy is about rational discussion of facts, science and meaningful solutions. Political support and donations are driven by fear and a need to signal allegiance - the parties understand this and have weaponized it.

For example, if human life was the real concern the target would be on simple handgun ownership, mental health funding and anti-gang enforcement, not scary black guns that play almost no role in the death toll. But focus groups show that scary black guns drive more $$$ and votes in the suburbs. Similarly, a fabricated gun culture (“out of my cold dead hands folks with a quasi-mystical co-opted history of America”) does the same for rural young males and grumpy old men.

For example, if human life was the real concern the target would be on simple handgun ownership, mental health funding and anti-gang enforcement, not scary black guns that play almost no role in the death toll.
Yah but there's no feel good in that for people who learn everything they know about guns from msm, so that's a no go.

Isn't this partially the issue many are raising? If gun owners don't participate then we simply aren't at the table when it's law are written. I complained about many of WA recent-ish gun laws for the same reasons, people who knew nothing about guns or gun ownership were the ones writing the laws because none of the pro-gun lobbies were interested in participating. How did that lack of participation help any of the gun owners in WA? It didn't. It left us exposed to risk and liability under unnecessary circumstances.
They don’t and most times won’t consult with the gun lobby. LEVO (lift every voice Oregon) already has on their website that their next initiative is to ban assault weapons for 2024, regardless of how measure 114 plays out. They don’t care about talking with anyone.

This all goes back to my point about fact vs emotion. No amount of facts about handguns, knives, fist/feet matter. It’s the same with ballot box biology, spin a narrative to cover facts and voila, a bill is passed. Like I said before, it’s why all the talk is about assault weapons instead of handguns even though the latter is the cause of far more death. It’s easier to get on board with banning scary guns than handguns.

One thought to keep in mind when trying to make sense of these policies and the proponents/opponents of them - behavioral psychologists and anthropologists often point out a simple truth - In the human mind, alienation from the group/tribe is worse than death. Once you understand that, one realizes that very little about modern politics/policy is about rational discussion of facts, science and meaningful solutions. Political support and donations are driven by fear and a need to signal allegiance - the parties understand this and have weaponized it.

For example, if human life was the real concern the target would be on simple handgun ownership, mental health funding and anti-gang enforcement, not scary black guns that play almost no role in the death toll. But focus groups show that scary black guns drive more $$$ and votes in the suburbs. Similarly, a fabricated gun culture (“out of my cold dead hands folks with a quasi-mystical co-opted history of America”) does the same for rural young males and grumpy old men.
Thank you, exactly right.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sbaker
Back