Colorado Announces Plans to Release “30 to 50” Gray Wolves Along the State’s Western Slope

Don’t blame Wyoming at all for not cooperating considering some of the awful stuff the pro wolf folks said about Wyoming after hunters legally killed those wolves across the border.

With environmental extremists threatening lawsuits against the US to ban Wyoming hunting/trapping woofs bordering Colorado, glad (for once) we have Jersey G at the helm in MT. He'll say no as well, I'd imagine.
Colorado cute woof lovers are going to have to beg Canada again and route outside MT border. Hopefully ID would do the same.
Would be great to stick it to these liberal funded extremists...

AK has plenty of wolves to share!

What is WY getting in exchange for not giving CO some of their woofs?
"Wyoming is opposed to sending wolves to Colorado," Wyoming Gov. Mark Gordon told 9NEWS.
Wyoming isn't just against giving Colorado animals. The governor stands against the idea of Colorado's gray wolf reintroduction.
"Our current wolf management plan is working, and it works because it is designed to manage wolves in biologically and socially suitable habitats and to keep wolves out of areas of the state where conflicts would be highest," Gordon said. "Our border with Colorado is an unsuitable area for wolves, and that would mean more human conflicts. Resolution of conflicts are almost always deadly to wolves."
9NEWS spoke with Wyoming's Game and Fish director, Brian Nesvik, in March.
"I do predict there will be wandering wolves from Colorado that make their way up here," Nesvik said.
He said he worries wolves in Colorado will move north, creating more problems for Wyoming ranchers.
"Wolves are large carnivores, and they will go find the quickest way and easiest means to fill their belly," Nesvik said.

Apparently Oregon is on Colorado's list. I'm sure, considering their majority political fit with this agenda, Oregon would oblige.

"In the event that none of these three states [MT, ID, WY] can serve as source sites for wolf donor populations, CPW has also begun to explore an agreement with the states of Washington and/or Oregon," the plan states.
"Colorado's Technical Working Group decided that Oregon would be an appropriate source for wolves. Our agencies have had a few informal conversations, but nothing more," an Oregon Fish and Wildlife spokesperson said.

Apparently Utah is on the CPW list as well. Their response:

A Utah spokesperson casted doubt on their viability as a source and said they will not give wolves to Colorado.
"There are currently no established wolf packs in Utah, which would likely not make us a viable candidate for providing wolves," a Utah Division of Wildlife Resources spokesperson said. "Also, as we have stated previously, we have concerns about the reintroduction of wolves in Colorado for a variety of reasons, and therefore, would not be supportive of providing wolves for those reintroduction efforts."

This is a pretty interesting and comical play by Wyoming, which I like. The pro-wolf groups have been hating on Wyoming forever, so why should the state bend to their wishes now? Also, wouldn't it be animal cruelty to round up a bunch of wolves and remove them from their home? What if they break up the packs?!

This is a pretty interesting and comical play by Wyoming, which I like. The pro-wolf groups have been hating on Wyoming forever, so why should the state bend to their wishes now? Also, wouldn't it be animal cruelty to round up a bunch of wolves and remove them from their home? What if they break up the packs?!

So true, the bleeding hearts must unite to keep the wolf packs united! 🤣

Apparently Oregon is on Colorado's list. I'm sure, considering their majority political fit with this agenda, Oregon would oblige.

I'll send CO a map of the wolf packs in my Oregon hunting areas and meet them there. I'll also donate some beef steak and chew toys. Should make the trip to CO more comfortable.

Would you still donate them if that prolongs the delisting process for us?

They're already delisted in E Oregon because there are so many. That's why Oregon may donate some to CO. The more the better since they can populate quickly anyway.

And it's not like even if there are "enough" wolves in Oregon to hunt, ODFW would create a hunting/trapping season.

They're already delisted in E Oregon because there are so many. That's why Oregon may donate some to CO. The more the better since they can populate quickly anyway.

And it's not like even if there are "enough" wolves in Oregon to hunt, ODFW would create a hunting/trapping season.

They're only delisted east of 395. Seems like an awful lot of benefit could come to that area between Bend and Burns.

I'll hold out some optimism that there will be some form of lethal control in the future. I prefer that to fatalism.

I really really want this article to be wrong. Withholding comment or judgement on Polis for the purposes of this comment, he has been clamoring for more bipartisan work in our state and here he actually has it - on a really divisive issue - and then he is going to veto it? WTF

Pollis is a lame duck, term limited, can't run again. That gives him latitude to pursue his own agenda, separate from influence of constituents and polls. However, vetoes can be overridden.

Back