Colorado 76 or 61

I hunted 61 second season two years ago. I just didn't want to wait the many years moving up to archery would have taken me. I had a great hunt and took a nice 300 7x6 bull. They were still bugling all nigh and early in the mornings which helps you locate them.

I live only 40 miles north of the unit and get up there a lot, it's a great unit and if you are lucky and go to the right spots you might get one in the 340 class.

Happy to help.
[email protected]

Phaseouls how many points did it take you then. I am seriously looking at second season. Looks like I have a good shot at it.

Elks247,

I used 8 pts to draw it although I drew it with 6 points 2 years previous but had to turn it back in after a bad mountain bike crash, grade 3 AC joint separation and concussion, a few days before the season. I am a resident.

I'm still here because I had a good bike helmet, broke it in 4 places.

From what I heard about the early 61 rifle it will take a minimum of 16 points for a resident.

I hunted third rifle season in unit 76 some years ago (before hunt map). I saw lots of elk but I just wasn't sure about property boundaries from private to public. Later asked a warden and all the elk I saw was on public. It was still a great hunt.

Bear in mind, that a fair amount of Unit 76 was torched in the massive 2013 forest fire that burned most of the Summer. By now, the grasses have come back, however the trees are but skeletons. That doesn't mean the Elk aren't there, and actually may be easier to spot, but it won't be as pretty. I haven't been in the fire country since 2014, but it still had a strong fire stench a year later.

Rocky176 were you hunting bulls or cows? Might be hunting 3rd rifle cows if my son draws if you don't mind talking about where you were PM me.

elk247- I see your post from Feb 2016, I have 19 pts for a non resident. I also do not know which unit I should go to 61 or 76. It looks like I am still a least 2 yrs away. Which unit did you hunt in, did you go muzzle loading. Was it a success? I am 53. I run/work out 2-3 times a week. So how was the terrain? Any info would be helpful. Thx

elk247- I see your post from Feb 2016, I have 19 pts for a non resident. I also do not know which unit I should go to 61 or 76. It looks like I am still a least 2 yrs away. Which unit did you hunt in, did you go muzzle loading. Was it a success? I am 53. I run/work out 2-3 times a week. So how was the terrain? Any info would be helpful. Thx

That was awhile ago. I chose to go with 61. I did a write up on my hunt after second season under "unit 61 Colorado update" if you go back a few pages it should be there somewhere.

I started applying for second season in 2016 with 18 points and finally drew it this year with 21 points. The point creep has gone up one point every year since I started putting in for it. It should go up another next year and then possibly go sideways for 2021. If that continues to be the case it would mean about five years for every point behind 21 right now. So at 19 points you should have a chance to draw in about seven years.

In 2016 I had just enough points to have a chance at drawing 61, but could draw all tags in 76 but early rifle. I was thinking muzzleloader for 76. I did alot of research that year and decided to wait for 61. I knew I would probably be going solo so 61 just seemed like a better option to me.

I'm glad I did 61 was a very fun hunt. Saw lots of elk and some very nice bulls. It is by no means a walk in the park but very doable alone with the right amount of research. I never stepped foot in the unit before my hunt and was able to have a great hunt and come home with a nice bull.

If you have the time to wait I don't think you would be disappointed in 61, but point creep is only getting worse in that unit. There is ALOT of guys with 20 points waiting for a chance to draw that unit ahead of you and quite a few with 21 points who haven't drawn yet.

I suggest finding a few guys that have hunted 76 lately and ask them if it was worth it, as for 61 if you want any specific info I would be happy to help you out. Good luck.

Drawing the tag is the hardest part!!

ELK247 - I read your hunt under "unit 61 Colorado update" WOW what a hunt, great details. Congrats. Thank you for pointing out your post. I see we are closer to hunting unit 76 then 61. The issue is will my Dad be able to handing the climbing in unit 76. More discussion with him to follow.

The rough country and altitude of #76 make it a tough area. Over the years that I have hunted 76 there have been numerous heart attack victims, usually an older fellow hunting with the younger guys. I am in very good shape but I quit bull hunting #76 when I hit the age of 60. I can still do the late season cow hunt on the lower areas.

Put in for the hybrid draw for 61. There are some monsters in 61. I have a buddy with a cabin on 61.

I'm thinking of using my points for a unit 61 archery deer tag this year,
Cush, you will be very disappointed by the lack of deer and lack of size in 61. Remember my “I want your honeyhole” in 61 post a few years back? I’d be happy to help if you hunt 61.

A good friend of mine ( mid 30s, fit ) hunted unit 76 archery this year. He had a great time and brought home a decent bull. He saw some very nice bulls but couldn't close the deal.

Since my father (~63) and I both have enough points to draw, an we have about 10 years archery elk hunting experience together, I asked my friend if my dad could handle it.

He looked me in the eye and just gave me a flat "No." He said the easy country in 76 was still freaking rough.

Having fished in some parts of the unit, I don't doubt it.

Not elk, but my son has a leftover 61 deer tag for third season and I’ve heard enough negative deer reports on this unit to be a little worried. If anyone has some advice for us I’d be appreciative. Current plan is to bring tire chains and enough propane to not freeze, stay mobile, get high and glass all day. Beyond that I’m open to suggestion :)

looks like the weather has moderated for now which may not be ideal

My family and i have been hunting on the unc for quite a while. My son and nephew had 61 buck tags a couple of years ago. Found deer everyday but no big bucks and they hunted hard.my sons buck in the pic. Feel free to PM I'll help what with what i know.

Attachments

• IMG_0949(1).jpg
    IMG_0949(1).jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 42

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back