Caribou Gear Tarp

Colorado 76 first rifle here I come

JD88

I drew my 76 first rifle hunt This year I live a few hours away so plan on spending a lot of the summer over there. I have been e scouting and looking at the northern end of the unit. If anyone has any information on this unit l would greatly appreciate it.

Welcome aboard. You should get all info you need scouting it then

Hunt that burn they had several years ago. Right after it burned I talked to a guy who saw a 400in bull come off the burn. All rumors anyways but I trust the guy, maybe take a grain of salt with my words. Best of luck.

Have you and Cohunter1989 had any luck with the scouting? That is a really cool area - especially making a drive around the Bachelor loop or the Wheeler Geological Area. Best of luck

76 is my favorite unit in the state. My husband and I have a no repeats rule (we go to a diff zone every year because #variety) but we did 76 2x because it is some excellent terrain. Have fun and train hard!!

I drew my 76 first rifle hunt This year I live a few hours away so plan on spending a lot of the summer over there. I have been e scouting and looking at the northern end of the unit. If anyone has any information on this unit l would greatly appreciate it.
Hunting it early rifle, will be doing some scouting by plane in September and can certainly give some insight after that, we have a few ideas, but access to some of the bowls in the wilderness area. I would avoid any area that has easy access by quads.

I don't live too far from there. If you need a pack out of your trophy, come feed my horses and mules some treats and maybe they'll do you a favor? They do love to go down the trails......

Hey JD,

How did your hunt end up going? I am sitting on 8 points and contemplating putting in for 76 first rifle. Would love to hear your experience.

Dave

Come on now let's give him a day or two to respond, he was just here last July.

Which mountain?

Hey JD,

How did your hunt end up going? I am sitting on 8 points and contemplating putting in for 76 first rifle. Would love to hear your experience.

Dave
Per Toprut it took 25 points to draw 76 first rifle elk in 2021. Colorado is a true preference point state so you don't have any chance at all if you don't have enough points so I wouldn't bother looking at unit 76 with 8 points. 3rd rifle season took 10 points in 2021 so you might have a chance in a few years at that.

Per Toprut it took 25 points to draw 76 first rifle elk in 2021. Colorado is a true preference point state so you don't have any chance at all if you don't have enough points so I wouldn't bother looking at unit 76 with 8 points. 3rd rifle season took 10 points in 2021 so you might have a chance in a few years at that.
why you make stuff up?!!!! only 19 for Resident guarantee!! 🤑 but actual 1st rifle season was drawn out at 7 for 50%

I am well acquainted with Colorado's regulations and statistics. Just trying to gather information on the unit.

The 25 pt are for Early rifle tag non resident (E-M-076-E1-R).

E-M-076-01-R is for 1st rifle.

We have to pay for it but we can get DOW Colorado Outdoors Magazine and Jan/Feb 2022 issue has Annual Preference Points and list for elk,deer,bear,antelope.

I didn't notice that either. Toprut has the correct information as well, I just wasn't looking at it correctly since I was looking at it for a nonresident as well.

I'm actually getting close to being able to draw 3rd rifle with my 10 points and am debating whether to apply this year or not as well.

I didn't notice that either. Toprut has the correct information as well, I just wasn't looking at it correctly since I was looking at it for a nonresident as well.

I'm actually getting close to being able to draw 3rd rifle with my 10 points and am debating whether to apply this year or not as well.
Disclaimer - I’ve
never hunted or scouted there.

But still, I don’t known if I’d go for a 3rd rifle tag there if I had 10 points unless you know the area well or have an “in” on what to do there after elk have been pressured for
so long. You are in a tough spot, point wise, but could probably snag a better rut hunt or 1st rifle in other units even if they took a few less points. It’s not like 76 is necessary for you or has atypically huge bulls behind every tree. And elevation and weather can be significant. All I’m saying is think it over and don’t get hung up on having to find the best 10 pt “unit”. It’s not the best HUNT in that unit. Now if you had early rifle points….. or 1st rifle points, I’d of course say go for it!

Reactions: JAG

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTLifer
Back