Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Colorado 3rd vs 4th Season

Corax

I expect that this has already been discussed, but I have been unable to find it.

I am trying to decide whether to put in for Colorado 3rd or 4th rifle season. I have a chance at drawing more units in the 3rd season, but 4th is closer to the rut. Can anyone share experience in hunting both seasons?

I'm no expert but here is my take.

It seems every year the storms hit Colorado about Halloween or a couple of days after. The deer really seem to move right after that.

They recently changed it so 3rd season is 9 days long. If you are heavy on vacation time this is a bonus compared to 5 days during 4th.

It always seems like after the 3rd season storms we hit a bunch of high-pressure blue bird weather until Thanksgiving. If I remember you have a boatload of points and whatever season you pick in those high demand units is probably going to be awesome, but personally I'd go with 3rd season. Mi Dos Pesos.

But I might be biased, I talked a friend into 3rd season this year over 4th and it REALLY worked out well for him. But I was sweating bullets after I talked him into it.

Thanks, Dinkshooter. The extra days would definitely be a bonus, and a better chance with the weather would also be nice. Doing this as an OYO hunt, I am pretty conscious of terrain and the potential of getting snowed in. 3rd season gives me more options.

I was looking at where I stood with points, and figured I am past the point of diminishing returns with the deer. I may put the Wyoming antelope off for another year.

Thanks, Dinkshooter. The extra days would definitely be a bonus, and a better chance with the weather would also be nice. Doing this as an OYO hunt, I am pretty conscious of terrain and the potential of getting snowed in. 3rd season gives me more options.

I was looking at where I stood with points, and figured I am past the point of diminishing returns with the deer. I may put the Wyoming antelope off for another year.

If you get snowed in during 3rd or 4th season hunting deer you are in the wrong place to deer hunt. PM me with you unit choice, I'm pretty sure you will not get snowed in.

I like the 3rd also. I don't know what unit you are shooting for but by the time the 4th season rolls around you might have some access issues. With the 3rd season you can go up or down the mountain to get to the Bucks or Elk. John

One other thing about 3rd over 4th. It seems that lots of people like the longer season, but very few actually hunt to the end. If you don't have 9 days to hunt, or think you might get burned out after a few days, plan to start hunting on about Wednesday of the 3rd season. You will be amazed at how many fewer people you will see. Everyone gets hung up on hunting opening day, which is kinda silly when you consider that there have been archery, muzz and rifle hunters in the woods for over 2 months already.

I use to like 3rd but it seems like 2nd is the season that gets snow now and 3rd is warm & sunny. Above statements are true about the mid week hunters. Last year I started on Sunday afternoon and had the whole GMU to myself until the next weekend

Thanks for the help. Hunting later in the 3rd season looks like the way to go.

I'm basically in the same boat, not putting in this year but probably next year. One of my concerns with the third season is potentially alot more hunters in the woods becuase of the combined deer/elk season, what are your guys thoughts on this?

I hunted 3rd season in CO last season.

We got some good snow on opening day which moved the deer.

It took the deer 3 days of drifting to show up in the lower elevation traditional wintering grounds.

Some bucks were acting rutty, others were not.

I would give the 3rd season a serious look and hope for weather to drive the deer down... Lot of times it's takes several less points to hunt the same unit 3rd vs. 4th season....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisb970
Back