Colorado 3rd season

BradA

I’m looking at hunting deer this year, 3rd season and I’m struggling with what unit to go with. It’s tough choice with the upward swing in tags and everyone cashing in. My ultimate goal is to hike and get away from the crowds and kill a 170 inch buck or better. I feel like that didn’t use to be a tall order in Colorado but now is. I am looking at a few units and open to others as suggestions. Hopefully to hear your thoughts, experiences and any information your willing to pass on to me.
50/500/501
11/211
31/32
35/36/45/361
64/65

I have put a fare amount of research into most of these units to the point it feels like I’m going round and round with them. Thanks for any help or advice.

Whatever you do, make sure you have 2 or maybe even 3 points more than what it took last year for the hunt you decide on if you really want to go in 2021. Point creep is going to be a real MF'er this year.
Planning on it thank you.

Can't say too much for those units but I can at least sympathize with the roundabout manner of of decisions, it's a butt sometimes.

I've hunted private in 211 and saw some pretty good bucks but I know they kill em on public too. All those units either have a good amount of private, are high country or are adjacent to trophy units. Take 62, it looks like it has the most public so it might seem to have the most opportunity, but you bet your behind they head to 61 when the guns start goin off. Just lookin at maps, I'd go with 211, maybe 36. But like @BlakeA said, pick the one you can draw for certain. There's so many deer in CO you should find one.

Also, delete this or post an introduction before ya get got.

Can't say too much for those units but I can at least sympathize with the roundabout manner of of decisions, it's a butt sometimes.

I've hunted private in 211 and saw some pretty good bucks but I know they kill em on public too. All those units either have a good amount of private, are high country or are adjacent to trophy units. Take 62, it looks like it has the most public so it might seem to have the most opportunity, but you bet your behind they head to 61 when the guns start goin off. Just lookin at maps, I'd go with 211, maybe 36. But like @BlakeA said, pick the one you can draw for certain. There's so many deer in CO you should find one.

Also, delete this or post an introduction before ya get got.
Brad has introduced himself in the Montana unlimiteds thread
He’s a long timer at this point.

It seems I see a couple really nice bucks dead in the ditch every year between Ridgway and Colona. I haven't looked at onx but must assume there's a lot of private in those lower elevations but also a massive amount of deer. Best of luck.

I can't really help, but I hunted 36 a couple years ago and while I didn't pull the trigger, I saw a couple good bucks. I'm intrigued by GMU 35. Seems like a lot of really good mule deer habitat. At the CWD check in Glenwood this year a guy brought in a tank of a deer from 35. If I remember correctly he was north of Eagle somewhere. You can't really go wrong hunting mule deer in CO though. I'm sure all of those units have some giants lurking.

Whatever you do, make sure you have 2 or maybe even 3 points more than what it took last year for the hunt you decide on if you really want to go in 2021. Point creep is going to be a real MF'er this year.
Hoping it's just a point of creep where I'm applying :unsure:

I’m looking at hunting deer this year, 3rd season and I’m struggling with what unit to go with. It’s tough choice with the upward swing in tags and everyone cashing in. My ultimate goal is to hike and get away from the crowds and kill a 170 inch buck or better. I feel like that didn’t use to be a tall order in Colorado but now is. I am looking at a few units and open to others as suggestions. Hopefully to hear your thoughts, experiences and any information your willing to pass on to me.
50/500/501
11/211
31/32
35/36/45/361
64/65

I have put a fare amount of research into most of these units to the point it feels like I’m going round and round with them. Thanks for any help or advice.
I have hunted unit 15 for 30 years.
I have seen some big thick bucks. I have a 6x7 that i got 15 years ago.
i am more of a elk hunter.

Hoping it's just a point of creep where I'm applying :unsure:
4th rifle was a 2 point creep where I applied last year, and the # of tags were cut, so I didn't draw. 3rd and 4th seasons are going to be crazy this year with the season dates. I'd have a plan B if I were you. 3rd season this year is what 4th season dates were last year. I'm going to apply for a 3rd season this year with +3 points and hope I draw. Good luck to you!

4th rifle was a 2 point creep where I applied last year, and the # of tags were cut, so I didn't draw. 3rd and 4th seasons are going to be crazy this year with the season dates. I'd have a plan B if I were you. 3rd season this year is what 4th season dates were last year. I'm going to apply for a 3rd season this year with +3 points and hope I draw. Good luck to you!
I have several backup plans. Hope for the best, prepare for the worst.

hunted 11/211 last fall 4th season, weather was really warm all we saw were dinks. got on some private 3rd day shot 2 average 4pts. wasnt worth the points.

Ended up drawing, you?

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back