Colorado 3rd Season Rifle

J_Poiencot

I have been looking at previous draws and studying the areas on certain units I have a good chance of being able to hunt with 0 preference points. I was wondering if anyone has any info on any of these units.

Thanks in advance for any info guys. This will be my first hunt out west.

First off welcome to the forum, there’s a lot of great info on here. Are you going for deer or elk? I have hunted 18 twice, filled one of my tags on a small Forky. They offer a lot of tags for 2nd and third season, so there is a decent amount of pressure. There are quite a few deer so if you get off the roads and find out of the way pieces of public land your chances go up. CPW has changed the dates for there upcoming 2020 seasons so third season will be later in November and closer to the rut, which may mean more applicants. Just thinking. Also third season is only a week long this year.
Hunted elk in 15, seen a few deer.
Let me know if you have any Q.

First off welcome to the forum, there’s a lot of great info on here. Are you going for deer or elk? I have hunted 18 twice, filled one of my tags on a small Forky. They offer a lot of tags for 2nd and third season, so there is a decent amount of pressure. There are quite a few deer so if you get off the roads and find out of the way pieces of public land your chances go up. CPW has changed the dates for there upcoming 2020 seasons so third season will be later in November and closer to the rut, which may mean more applicants. Just thinking. Also third season is only a week long this year.
Hunted elk in 15, seen a few deer.
Let me know if you have any Q.

Thanks for the info brother. I am going for deer. If I don't draw I will probably do elk. I will be going to Wyoming in 2021, but would like to possibly do a long pack in hunt in Colorado.

There’s a lot of public land in those units. So getting back far shouldn’t be to hard. most of the deer that I saw during 2nd rifle were lower and closer to private. You just had to do a lot of walking to get around the private parcels.

There’s a lot of public land in those units. So getting back far shouldn’t be to hard. most of the deer that I saw during 2nd rifle were lower and closer to private. You just had to do a lot of walking to get around the private parcels.

I don't have gohunt yet, but I am fixing to get it here pretty soon. What is the trophy opportunity for that unit? 160+?

I don't have gohunt yet, but I am fixing to get it here pretty soon. What is the trophy opportunity for that unit? 160+?

The average is 140-160. But some can get above 160-. Ratio of bucks to does is 37/100. During third season the bigger bucks will be in transition zone coming down from higher ground to join does. Little bucks will be with does. Gohunt is an amazing resource, do you have onx maps? That’s another helpful tool.

I had onx as a trial for my Texas public land mule deer hunt and really liked it. will definitely have it when going hunt out west.

15 is a deadfall hell hole. Imagine 50 foot tall pine trees stacked up everywhere like a pile of toothpicks that were dropped on the ground. A lot of other units are probably very similar.

15 is a deadfall hell hole. Imagine 50 foot tall pine trees stacked up everywhere like a pile of toothpicks that were dropped on the ground. A lot of other units are probably very similar.
So would you say that there are areas here that people aren't going to want to push into due to difficulty? can suck it up and get in there deep and shoot a stud?

So would you say that there are areas here that people aren't going to want to push into due to difficulty? can suck it up and get in there deep and shoot a stud?
[/QUOTE

Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth - Mike Tyson

kind of how I think about hunting the deadfall in co. It can be done but it takes a toll, physically and mentally.

74 for a 3rd will be pretty tough most deer have moved lower by then. Lots of public but will be crowded with elk hunters. 75 has some public low but has lots of pressure and moves most of the deer onto private

Hunted 15 since 2008 and changed last season as there are Bucks. But small! If your looking for fork's or a small 3 then i'd hunt it. Lots, lots of hunters for what ever reason. CPW is telling everyone the unit is good because of the Population increase since the winter kill off in 08. 09-15 were not bad since it has went down hill on good bucks. Easy to draw and a lot of tags. unit 25 would be my choice. Good bucks if you hunt for them..

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Debbry64
Back