PEAX Equipment

Colorado 3rd Rifle season Unit 78

Cool. I’ll be east of Pagosa as well. Maybe we’ll cross paths, but it’s BIG country!😀
Yes most definitely. Best of luck. He are from Ohio. If you see Us we will have a couple nice big old Davis tents up. New Redish F150. Stop in and say hello or if you need help with anything just let us know.

I started hunting Colorado in 2002. In 68/681. But not great elk numbers there now. (But I have seen some huge mule deer bucks in 681 tho). We are trying a different unit this year. So 78 it is.
I’ve hunted quite a bit in 62, 64, 65, 55 and now trying 78 to have less driving and save some time as last year my son in college was able to go for the first time. It was a hoot. I started in ‘93 and would go about every other year but now trying to make it a yearly trip while I’m physically able. Not getting any younger for sure…

Yes most definitely. Best of luck. He are from Ohio. If you see Us we will have a couple nice big old Davis tents up. New Redish F150. Stop in and say hello or if you need help with anything just let us know.
Roger that. I’ll be in a brown F250 w/ TX plates. We’re staying in a cabin in Pagosa and will commute 😂. Gotta have internet for the college kid to do homework 😂😂

I’ve hunted quite a bit in 62, 64, 65, 55 and now trying 78 to have less driving and save some time as last year my son in college was able to go for the first time. It was a hoot. I started in ‘93 and would go about every other year but now trying to make it a yearly trip while I’m physically able. Not getting any younger for sure…
We put in for 67 this year but didn’t get drawn. So we picked 78. I totally understand about the internet. 🤣 and I don’t blame you.

We put in for 67 this year but didn’t get drawn. So we picked 78. I totally understand about the internet. 🤣 and I don’t blame you.
How much snow was out there last year?
There was about 24” up high on 3rd day. At least a foot dropped where we were down lower. We hunted between 8k and 9.5k. The 2nd season was basically a week earlier than it is this year. So who knows? This year will be like huntin the third season in the old days. They also had a snowstorm early September last year that dumped a couple of feet of snow. 🤷‍♂️

There was about 24” up high on 3rd day. At least a foot dropped where we were down lower. We hunted between 8k and 9.5k. The 2nd season was basically a week earlier than it is this year. So who knows? This year will be like huntin the third season in the old days. They also had a snowstorm early September last year that dumped a couple of feet of snow. 🤷‍♂️
That’s what I was figuring. Thanks for the info.

Foot. East of Pagosa Springs
Wish you the best man! Don’t be afraid to get a few miles back. That’s the biggest thing that prevents hunters from tagging an elk is the fear of the pack out after the kill haha

Wish you the best man! Don’t be afraid to get a few miles back. That’s the biggest thing that prevents hunters from tagging an elk is the fear of the pack out after the kill haha
Wish you the best as well. We are heading back about 3.5 miles or more. Hopefully we have to pack out an elk. It may not be fun but you won’t feel the pain a few days after the hunt. But the memories will be there a lifetime.

Sorry guys I needed to update my notification settings. Wasn't getting any emails that people responded.
No luck on my first hunt. Picked a poor location for the first 4-5 days and got hit with a gnarly storm. But had a great time!
Changed locations the last day and hunted hard. Got into 1 elk (that we assumed was big bull). Never saw him, but spooked him out of his bed and chased his tracks in the snow for 4 miles and finally gave up.

Definitely going back next year. Huge learning experience!
Shame you didn't get one on the ground mate but it sounds like you had a great time. Have you got any photos of the trip you could put up? I am not from the USA so it would be great to see some pics of the landscape that you guys are hunting.

Wish you the best as well. We are heading back about 3.5 miles or more. Hopefully we have to pack out an elk. It may not be fun but you won’t feel the pain a few days after the hunt. But the memories will be there a lifetime.
Heck yeah! People don’t fill them tags because they’re afraid to put in the work. There plenty elk way back just gotta be willing to get there. Luckily we have horse this year. So it’s game changer

Anyone else have any luck in 78 this year?

Attachments

• 9460EE5F-78C7-4D87-8595-5A209B00F9BA.jpeg
    9460EE5F-78C7-4D87-8595-5A209B00F9BA.jpeg
    756.5 KB · Views: 64
  • A2C2663E-2171-4EB8-A21B-886507DA45F7.jpeg
    A2C2663E-2171-4EB8-A21B-886507DA45F7.jpeg
    7 MB · Views: 61
  • FF144590-A690-40B7-BAC4-8D3B104C8027.jpeg
    FF144590-A690-40B7-BAC4-8D3B104C8027.jpeg
    6.6 MB · Views: 60
  • 4FF611EC-0844-48AD-B1E8-1F0D262495EF.jpeg
    4FF611EC-0844-48AD-B1E8-1F0D262495EF.jpeg
    4.1 MB · Views: 63
Anyone heading back to 78 this year? I'll be heading up 2nd rifle. So far the weather pattern is looking like not much snow.

Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back