Colo Moose draw success

poormanslam

Looks like I am going moose hunting in October in unit 28 (I think). If anybody has knowledge of the area or the hunt I would be appreciative of the information, regardless, I cannot wait to hunt the Colorado Mts and fish their streams.

That is awesome trip of ones lifetime there. I am hoping to draw moose in your neck of the woods eventually!:D

Looks like I am going moose hunting in October in unit 28 (I think). If anybody has knowledge of the area or the hunt I would be appreciative of the information, regardless, I cannot wait to hunt the Colorado Mts and fish their streams.

Congrats on winning the tag. How many points did you have? It should be a great area for moose. Hope you have plenty of scouting time before season.

I missed on CO moose again with 3+ 10 weighted points.

Congrats on the tag! I camped and fished in that area a few years ago, I don't think you'll have any trouble finding moose.

I missed on CO moose again with 3+ 10 weighted points.[/QUOTE]

I also had 3 + 9 going into the draw, I never dreamed of getting this tag I was putting in for moose just because I was already applying for goat and sheep. Crazy. I am planning on getting to the unit in August or September for a week or so then showing up several days before the hunt.

Last edited:
Congrats on the tag!! If you haven't already, check out Gouthro's Moose Madness DVDs. It goes over everything you could want to know about calling in moose. It was the best money I spent, by far, preparing for my Minnesota moose hunt 2 years ago. While it is geared more towards Canadian Moose, I think you can call in Shiras the same way. I don't think there is anything more exciting than calling in 1,100 pounds of giant, slobbering moose, with your own voice! Good luck, I can't wait to read about it in a few months!

It is with great regret that I notify you DIYers that the scouting is over. Forest Service had a bunch of roads closed as they were clearing out beetle killed trees. I found four separate cows and this group of bulls. My wife and I hiked in to an area 11400 ft that had some great moose country, how cool would it be to kill a moose over 11000 ft? Had another great trip hiking, fly fishing, saw the endangered Boreal Toad at 10,300 ft and even went to a free Cheap Trick and Molly Hatchet concert. I am hoping for luck but know that I just need to enjoy the my short time I have to pursue this great beast. I hope I have some quality meat in the freezer in early October. Good Luck to you all and I will update you in a few months.

Attachments

• 2013BakerCrrek035_zpsf0ce09b9.jpg
    2013BakerCrrek035_zpsf0ce09b9.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 1,526
  • 2013BakerCrrek051_zpsb5345f9e.jpg
    2013BakerCrrek051_zpsb5345f9e.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 1,525
  • 2013BakerCrrek056_zps7cd3dab2.jpg
    2013BakerCrrek056_zps7cd3dab2.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 1,554
  • 2013BakerCrrek064_zpsc24e048a.jpg
    2013BakerCrrek064_zpsc24e048a.jpg