Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Collapsible fishing rod

Thank you everyone for the suggestions. I am sorry it took me so long to get back to this post. But real-life and work got in the way of Hunt Talk for a couple weeks. I'm going to do some research on all the suggestions. I'm really just looking for something that I can keep in my car all the time so I can stop along the way and drop a line without too much advance planning. I have 6 poles now that are all hand-me-downs at least 20 years old and they just don't travel well. Most of them should be thrown away.

I've got four telescopic fishing rods for travel, packing, ATV'n. St Croix Triumph surf casters for beaches. I'd have any rod, in my hand, anywhere, fish may be playing.
Got them at Cabelas, Bass Pro, Sportsmans Warehouse.

This has been my go to for back country compact fishing rods.

https://www.amazon.com/Daiwa-System-Minispin-Ultralight-Spinning/dp/B0000BY56T
Daiwa Minispin System Travel Spin Fishing Rod Reel KitSKU #: 102069
$42.99

4161MphoCfL._SX425_.jpg

• Designed for anglers on the move, compact tackle setup comes in its own hard case, and is ideal for stowing in luggage, backpacking, or keeping under a car seat
  • Ultralight MS-S500T reel with smooth, ball bearing drive, multi-disc drag, 5.1-to-1 retrieve, GyroSpin balancing, and Twist Buster line twist reduction
  • Matching 4.5-foot, five-piece ultralight rod for two-to-six-pound test lines and 0.0625-to-0.25-ounce lures
  • Ultra-compact hard case includes built-in tackle compartments
  • Includes limited manufacturer's warranty; details included with purchase
Qty:

I just purchased this combo on Amazon for an upcoming backpacking trip. Haven't used it yet, but the rod and reel feel like they are good quality. The case is kind of a weird shape, but I like how it holds your tackle and accessories. It fits in my pack really nice. I'm looking forward to getting some use out of it and plan to make it my truck fishing setup.

Sportsman’s warehouse had 3 different brands of telescopic rods the last I checked. Not great, but they are more convenient when you wanna hit a few holes real quick. And they beat using an ice rod, which also works.

I've been meaning to get a tenkara rod to try. I think it'd be a fun distraction while hiking around during archery elk season.

Eagle Claw Trailmaster. Used it this weekend with the nephews on the Wise River, Pattengail creek, and the Big Hole. It was handed down to me from my grandpa.
A classic back country rod.

Check eBay. There's a few listed currently.

I went through 3-4 of these in the 90's when I was searching for that all-purpose rod for the high country. I kept breaking them. But, I think they're the best bet when it comes to reversible rods that can go from spinning to fly.

Otherwise, I'd get a 4 piece 4 wt fly rod and call it good.

Back