Fly Rod help

Jamen

I am looking for recommendations for a middle of the road fly rod. Don't really want to go over $500. Unsure of the brand i currently have but it is too stiff for my liking. I would say i am in the middle of the road for experience as far as fly fishing goes. Looking for a 5wt. Sage and Orvis is what i have been looking at. Wanted to pick your brains on ones you like or dislike. Or maybe smaller companies i dont know about that make a good rod.

Thank you for you time!

Attachments

• IMG_1098.jpg
    IMG_1098.jpg
    257.4 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_2236.jpg
    IMG_2236.jpg
    583.5 KB · Views: 24
I have a bozeman flyworks 6wt that is awesome. I paid 217$ for it at the time.

Vintage Rods are where it's at:

Sage LL: A 4wt or 5wt. Slow action rods, great for dry flies and light nymphing.

Sage RPL in a 9 ft 4wt or 5wt: Great all around rod.

St Croix Imperial or Legend Ultras in the 8'6" - 9.5 foot ranges. The Imperials are good, solid medium action rods & the LU's are mod-fast action to fast action & good all-around rods.

There's a ton in that price range, and even more if you're willing to go used on ebay. My advice is to find a retailer near you that has a wide selection and allows for rod testing. Many do. You'll likely know when you feel the right one.

I've had good luck with Moonshine Rods. They come with an extra tip section.

I'm convinced most rods in that price range are made in the same factories in China, Vietnam, or South Korea. They slap a TKO, St Croix, Sage, etc sticker on it and send it out. I'm not sure the average user will have much to complain about.

I have a Sage Sonic 5 wt Orvis Recon 5wt and both are excellent. The Orvis is a better heavy nymph rod, the Sage is a better dry/dropper rod. Both are a hair over the price range you listed but both are American made and very high quality. Under that price range I’d look at Echo, which are also great rods.

Last edited:
Reddington’s classic trout in a 9’ 5wt is a pretty slick setup. I love mine.
Absolutely some of the best budget rods out there. Pretty slow action though.

Fenwick Aetos also worth a close look. I used one with pleasure for a decade before finally buying a top of the line primo $$$ rod last year.

Probably already been said, but go to a local retailer or fly shop and cast a few different ones and see if you can feel a difference or one you like better than the others. Smoothness, flex, ability to shoot line, etc.

Are you looking for an all around rod for different methods, mostly dries, streamers, nymphs, etc?

When you say it is too stiff, do you mean that the rod speed is too fast to your liking? Flexes in the top 1/4 of the rod = fast flex rod. Flexes in the top 2/3 of the rod= slow flex rod. If you have a fast flex 4 wt. and would like a medium fast rod, you can go up a weight in fly line and it will change how the rod casts. Don't be afraid to go up or down a line weight to find the casting speed and flex that you like. Otherwise, several good suggestions have already been mentioned.

I am looking for recommendations for a middle of the road fly rod. Don't really want to go over $500. Unsure of the brand i currently have but it is too stiff for my liking. I would say i am in the middle of the road for experience as far as fly fishing goes. Looking for a 5wt. Sage and Orvis is what i have been looking at. Wanted to pick your brains on ones you like or dislike. Or maybe smaller companies i dont know about that make a good rod.

Thank you for you time!
I have a Sage Sonic 5 wt Orvis Recon 5wt and both are excellent. The Orvis is a better heavy nymph rod, the Sage is a better dry/dropper rod. Both are a hair over the price range you listed but both are American made and very high quality. Under that price range I’d look at Echo, which are also great rods.

These are good choices if you're set on that price range. A TFO LK Legacy (basically replaced the BVK) would be a great choice and still leave you a bit of leftover budget for a decent reel. If you feel like your rod is too fast you could also buy one of the fly lines that is 1/2 weight heavy. Honestly, many lines are designed a little heavy for the weight range anyway because it helps folks load their rods better when their mechanics aren't on point yet.

If it were ME, second had market, but if possible try before you buy, Orvis TLS or in my opinion the best rod Sage have ever made, a XP

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
genevamorman66
Back