Cold calling Land Owners for Hunting Access

Luke_with_a_lab

Hey everyone,

I was curious about what strategies you guys have found success with when trying to gain access on private land where you have never met the landowner. I see it one of two ways.

1. Show up to the landowners house, knock, meet face to face and ask permission that way.
- pros: meet in person, landowner has a harder time saying no
- cons: perhaps landowner is uncomfortable you have come to their house without being invited? Therefore says no

2. Contact landowner via phone
- pros: less intrusive way of making contact
- cons: landowner might might have an easier time saying no

Knocking on doors should gives better chance to get you permission as long as you make a good impression. It's easier to judge a person's character face to face over the phone. Be prepared for some people to not so nicely tell you no and try not bother people who look to busy.

I’ve cold called before plenty of times, especially places that are a long drive away. I always offer to show up to introduce myself but try to find out when might be a good time to stop by rather than waste long trips. Has worked well for me.

Was peeved as all hell once because a good bull winded my partner and I and he busted down onto private.land below.
We were pretty bummed!
I said to hell with it and we packed back to the truck, drove several very rough miles out of the area and off to the owner's house we drove.
They were trailering cattle and we caught the main person's attention. Told him the deal...

And he told us - the deal.

Today that bull is onto us. Put the rest of the day helping them with the cattle and he'll personally drive us into the area he figured best and call for us (archery).

Few hours later after herding cattle and cleanup, we had a hellofa great dinner, made friends, and my buddy killed a bull two days later on their property.

For several years after, we'd give a few days bailing hay, great dinners, etc during the year and we had access on and through their property.

The gent passed, his sons apologized next year though their land was leased exclusively to an outfitter.

I got carried away reminiscing past fun times. What a great family! Miss 'em.

Anyway, what was your question? :)

I've called (helps if you have a reference, sometimes g&f has a list they don't post) and had good luck. More hesitant to knock on someone's door, I wouldn't like that either. I have left letters in mailboxes though, easy to ignore but the few times I've done it I've got a response. Harder when there's long distance involved obviously but if you're out scouting it might not be a bad idea to have some form letters to drop in boxes with all the big ones in their yard

Go knocking on doors.

Few tips from years of knocking:

1. Be polite. Sir/mam ect.

2. look presentable. Don’t show up in dirty pants and a ripped tee

3. don’t show up in a mud covered vehicle. What message does that send if you show up and your truck is caked with mud?

I’ve had good success in my area of the midwest.

As a landowner...

Text or call me. If i want to see you then I will invite you. Be polite, explain what your after and how you go about it. Who, when and what are you doing, and how are you going to do it.

Then if they let you on, never ever leave anything behind, no quad or truck ruts, no empty brass or targets. Be understanding if they have certain rules.

the rest is commen sense. be a nice and if they say no, be understanding, don't get an attitude. Maybe next time they will.

I had a place to hunt growing up.
Fishing? Not so much.
I picked up several fishing spots simply by going to church and talking to church members

Knock on doors.
I despise blind phone calls.

Out in the public, be polite.
Don't beg.
Don't smoke or dip.
Don't curse.
Remember: yes sir, yes ma'am, no sir, no ma'am and thank you.
Refer to landowners as Mr. or Mrs.
No earrings, nose rings, eyebrow piercings.
Keep tats covered.

It doesn't always work, but you'll also get access to some amazing places.

I’ve asked friends and gotten permission. These were smaller tracts.
A friend and I put an ad in the farm market bulletin looking for a small lease. We were given access for free on 200 acres on a small river in exchange for keeping the neighbors off of it.

We were given access for free on 200 acres on a small river in exchange for keeping the neighbors off of it.
Haha! Would love to know the backdrop of that story! What neighbor had the daughter and what neighbor had the son? :ROFLMAO:

Hmm, never thought to place an ad the town Ag paper.

Text or call me. If i want to see you then I will invite you. Be polite, explain what your after and how you go about it. Who, when and what are you doing, and how are you going to do it.

Then if they let you on, never ever leave anything behind, no quad or truck ruts, no empty brass or targets. Be understanding if they have certain rules.

the rest is commen sense. be a nice and if they say no, be understanding, don't get an attitude. Maybe next time they will.

This. I've found the landowners appreciate calling first. Except for the Amish. You won't get very far if you try calling them.

I’ve knocked on 100+ doors, almost all cold calls. I can’t ever remember doing a cold call over the phone. I introduce myself briefly and state my intentions. I’ve gained a lot of access through the years. Most common response is no, but a lot of times you’ll get a maybe. They are often reluctant to say yes to a stranger right off, so they might feel you out by making conversation. Many, many times I’ve ended up shooting the breeze for 30-60 mins and in the end they grant access. Some people live in remote places and they enjoy a little company. I make it a point to drop by throughout the year to visit. Also be conscious of owners that work their land can be very busy certain times of the year - don’t bother them during planting, harvest, castration day, etc. Visit when work is slow so they have the time to talk.

I used to own a small acerage with a fishing pond. My # is not in the directory, and I never answer unknown calls. But even if I did, I’d never grant fishing access via a phone call. If you rang my doorbell I’d be a little startled not expecting anyone, but I’d have no problem granting access in person.

I’ve knocked on 100+ doors, almost all cold calls. I can’t ever remember doing a cold call over the phone. I introduce myself briefly and state my intentions. I’ve gained a lot of access through the years. Most common response is no, but a lot of times you’ll get a maybe. They are often reluctant to say yes to a stranger right off, so they might feel you out by making conversation. Many, many times I’ve ended up shooting the breeze for 30-60 mins and in the end they grant access. Some people live in remote places and they enjoy a little company. I make it a point to drop by throughout the year to visit. Also be conscious of owners that work their land can be very busy certain times of the year - don’t bother them during planting, harvest, castration day, etc. Visit when work is slow so they have the time to talk.

I used to own a small acerage with a fishing pond. My # is not in the directory, and I never answer unknown calls. But even if I did, I’d never grant fishing access via a phone call. If you rang my doorbell I’d be a little startled not expecting anyone, but I’d have no problem granting access in person.
I think your right. Calling someone on the phone makes it easy for them to say no, especially because as you say they have no idea of your character or personality. Working on getting some access for this archery season and think I'll go knock on a few doors over the next couple weekends.

I’ve had pretty good luck with writing letters. Typically get responses from 1/5 letters sent they don’t all pan out but I think the unpressurized reading of the letter makes some more apt to consider it. Allows for them to respond at their convenience as well.

Back