Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Cold calling Land Owners for Hunting Access

I make sure to knock on doors way before season starts. Asking the day before the opening day is never a good idea. I’ve taken landowners whisky after the hunt and offered some meat if I was successful. I gave one farmer a goose that he wanted for their Christmas family dinner

If you don’t know, ranchers don’t like muddy cars because the mud is often full of weed seeds. That’s why you don’t show up with a muddy truck. In fact, I make it a point to mention I wash the truck.

I tell my hunter's education classes that one of the best days I've had "hunting", I spent the day trying to get permission. I got 5 no's. All were followed by around an hour long conversation. And one bowl of soup offered. If you don't ask in person you miss out on an opportunity to make a connection.

This is a bit different but as a farmer in southern Alberta I love when people show up at the door and ask for permission. to meet face to face and how they act mean alot.. if you come in the spring to shoot the gophers and your true to your word and respectful. You got yourself all the land you can hunt.. come archery season the old yard looks like a camp ground.. Im looking forward to see everyone in September .. just remember not all land owners are a$$ holes but there are a few real winners out there.. lol.. hope this helps

I've had good luck with ranchers offering to shoot coyotes on their properties, especially during calving seasons. I pattern them and try to catch them on the roads. I've been able to parlay that into hunting permission.
Nice one John.

I have finally found a subject I have way more experience than any of you;)

No public land where I live, none!

Phone calls, don't work, rarely do letters either.
Face to face works best, or if you offer your services through vermin control etc
Put yourself in their position, would you trust a stranger to shoot on your property?
Money, that works, but I avoid that as much as I can, I prefer favours.

So how did I get access?
First time, I repaired some equipment through my work at the time on a farm, we got chatting, he invited me over.
2nd time as above, they then introduced me to another farmer, word started to spread, I did a good job controlling vermin, I got the deer hunting in return.

But @JohnCushman has one of the best ways, make yourself visible, the farmer will find you, ask you what you are looking at, gets the conversation going....worked for me in the past, but choose your time wisely, meeting a tired farmer is NOT the best way!

A little story, I watched 2 huge stags on last legal light on the opposite Valley but I didn't have permission, I raced around in the truck, pulled into gateway, (I thought I would scare them over to my farm and get them in the morning), from nowhere a landrover appeared (it was pitch black by now) it blocked me in, 'what are you up to?' as soon as I told him why I was there he said 'ah, it's you Mr Jackson! so why are you waiting, shoot them!'
I didn't as not legal, it was a few fields away from his main farm, he gave me access to both.
But verbal isn't good enough where I live, I got him to sign a simple letter of permission, perfect if I get challenged by the police.

Word of mouth is best.

I also show them my hunting qualifications and proof of insurance in case anything goes 'tit's up' it never has but I have known hunters kill cattle and farm dogs!

Many of the farms I shoot over aren't owned by strangers anymore, they are good friends.

Good luck

Cheers

Richard

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back