Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Coastal Brownies from the Alaska Peninsula

Ovis

A few pics of some guys I know in Alaska. The white bear is quite unusual, but I still love the big bears...size really does matter.

224220-R1-11.jpg

224220-R1-20.jpg

224220-R1-8.jpg

224221-R1-11.jpg

224221-R1-8.jpg

224221-R1-9.jpg

Elkhunter

I suppose the white bear would ball park 400-500 lbs (I'd say closer to 400), while the other is definitely hitting around 900 lbs. Mature boars can weigh up to 1200 lbs, and I have heard they have gone 1400 at times.

Truthfully though, I've given up judging animals by pics. I'll see if these guys have an idea of what they measured & weighed out. Most people don't take a bathroom scale with them to the field to weigh these things, so it'll only be a guesstimate.

Ovis,

Cool pictures, thanks for posting them.

YOu been busy studying? Hope all is going well.

Let me know when we are gonna crash Moosie's for dinner.
elkgrin.gif

Wicked pix, love the white bear.
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Let me know about the Moosie crashing, I'm definitely game.
tongue.gif

Holy sheet, that looks like fun. I would love to do that some day, but my wallet tell me to stick with the non-resident deer instead.
biggrin.gif

As for big bears, I heard of one this year that was 12.5' tall, weighed #2,000, killed and partially ate a guy and was shot as he charged another hunter. No kidding, I will see if I can find the pics and email.
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif
biggrin.gif

7 months and counting is all I can say. Not sure how I was nominated to head the the dinner crashing at Moosies. I thought maybe in the near future I'd open up my doors to some eats.

EG...work has kept me busy since my return from Alaska. Received my official diploma in the mail this week, so I am taking a break from edgemacation for a bit. I am studying for test I am due to take in December though.

Gotta find a way to get out and do some hunting, now that I am finally "legal" to hunt in Idaho as a military/resident, and keep my residency in Alaska. Gonna save me a few extra pennies now that I don't have to buy non-res.

EG

That answer is easy...Bighorn!
But since that isn't happening...I'd like to kill a good Muley.

Went to Wally World yesterday to purchase my new "resident/military" license, and found out I am gonna have to make a few more phone calls to F&G. The only thing the guy could sell me were non-resident tags, since I currently hold a non-resident license. The system wouldn't let him sell me a resident license either, so my hunting plans for this a.m. turned into photography plans.

Didn't get close enough to take any good pics, but I seen more than a fair share of muleys and elk today in 39. Gonna be getting the bow ready for next month now.

How was your weekend EG? Did you get out any?

Bummer on the Wally clerk not being able to run the license machine.... Imagine that!!!
wink.gif

This weekend was the Mega Birthday party for the oldest. 16 kids in the Double Wide, playing games and carving pumpkins...
biggrin.gif

The Wall tent got set up in the Mountains today, and the Elk huntin' will start getting serious. I was planning on heading up for Wed, and then for Friday to Thursday, but I have a couple of obligations, Basketball practice Thursday and the first games on Saturday for both kids, and since I am the Coach.... So it may be Saturday afternoon until Thursday....

That white bear is absolutely beautiful! That would make one hell of a good looking rug!

If I'm free I'd be willing to crash Moosies! Mrs. Moosie loved it last time I showed up at 2:30am!
biggrin.gif

PS- Anyone in need of an extra pack person, videographer, camp b!tch, etc for the next few weekends...shoot me a pm!

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 10-27-2003 12:03: Message edited by: 1_pointer ]</font>

Ovis,

I need to head thru your neck of the woods soon, my Taxidermist in Twin Falls called and I have an Elk to go pick-up.

I could bring the Moose clan, and we could have dinner there. Other than an impossible schedule, I'm easy.

Tomorrow was gonna be my last chance at deer, but I have a Physical Thearapy appointment, (stupid story there...) so I may end up being a late season Bow hunter. Elk hunting is a wee bit up in the air, depending on the above mentioned appointment.

1-Ptr,
The extra pack hand is needed M-F.... It is always easy to find people on the weekends...
wink.gif

Did you get back for your deer, and your 6 Liters of water?

EG

I am pretty flexible myself. I can even manage throwing together a hot meal the day you head out to Twin Falls, and then we could do something again with everyone else. As long as I have dates and times, I can make things work.

If you get bored and need someone to go out next month with the bow, let me know. I may be game. My hunting partner is leaving in a few days headed for Afghanistan. I'll be trying my luck off and on next month...except for the 17-21, that is when I'll be in Vegas for play...I mean WORK! (What was I thinking?)

Hope whatever body part is currently disfunctional, gets to feeling better.

Jim

PS...Do you like shrimp fettucinni?

Got the water!
frown.gif
I did finally find a buck, but it was at about 600yds, bit too far for my skills.

I'd come up M-F if I had the leave, but it's being spent in Nov chasing whitetails in IN with Pops.

If you don't mind hunting highly pressured public land where it is advisable to shoot the first buck you see c'mon! Fly into Evansville, IN sometime after Nov. 13th and I'll pick you up.

Heck, I finally got an invite to an ID adventure!
wink.gif

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back