Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

CO unit 76 elk bowhunt

OK thread hijackers, take your whining elsewhere. :hump:

Thos thread is asking for those with 76 experience, to reach out--if they want to.

hahaha seriously, haters over here

Congrats on the tag! I've never been to the unit but got excited for you and started looking at in on GE and gohunt, man you're going to have a blast! Good luck!!

I hunted unit 76 years ago during the third season.

Check out Grandview Cabins, they are located in South Fork. We rented a cabin for a base a camp and I traveled a mile or two to the trailhead. It was so long ago I forget the trailhead name but it gave me good access to the back country. I saw a ton of elk. I still think about how I screwed up..... I located a large herd in the distance (got high and glassed) and watched them for over an hour. I should have bailed off the mountain and made a stalk from down wind. I waited at my glassing location thinking I would come back in the morning, WRONG. Never saw the herd again.

The owner of the cabins gave me some good advice. Try calling them and asking some questions. I do remember that the trailhead was a couple of miles on the left before Wagon Wheel Gap. Parking area at the base and a good trail to the top of the mountain to glass from.

Good luck and I hope this helps.

You will run into a lot of hikers (nonhunters). It didn't affect the elk at all where we hunted.

Hardest part of the hunt is getting close to your target bull when there is 100 elk in the herd. Fun hunt but by no means a trophy hunt. The views for me was the highlight of my trip. Of course getting to hunt with Oak was also a plus.

Good luck.

I have hunted 76 quite a few times but always with a rifle. I would either start in the area around Wason Park or go to the far West of the unit if I had a bow in hand. The areas around Bristol Head have also held a bunch of elk early. It is tempting to hunt the far side of the Rio Grande reservoir towards La Vaca but you will get some hikers there.

IMG_0730.jpgthanks guys. Goal is to be done by noon!Big Bull 2009.jpg

First bull I hunted several different days in WY but could not close the deal.

the 2nd bull is a Colo bull I let walk, after calling in twice in 5 minutes. Was at full draw with great shot option at 17 yards and I think 24 yards.

I am wiser now!!! Thump!

Last edited:
Family and I drove thru your unit a week ago. Best of luck, beautiful country, Good tag.

Buncha non-help going on here. I need to know how much time you have on the mountain, and when will it be. What was your logistical plan, ATV, backpack, pack stock, any human slaves? And most importantly how good of condition are you in and how hard will you work.

Relative drew last year with 17-18 pts and his high light was he saw a 5 point, pretty sure he thought the elk would come arunnin just to take a look at the paper it was printed on after all those years of applying... they did not.

My buddy turned his tag back in as he drew a NM tag that had 2 % odds.

I will be there in a week took the rest of the season off work. Will have my two boys with me so really looking forward to the experience. Checked out the unit in July, huge unit for sure. Packing started, laundry going, dreaming as I type this.

1st day in the books. Edging into. Glassing 1st half day from roads and familiarizing.
Headed into Elky areas this afternoon and evening ran across six cows sparsely disbursed.
Bugling heard was by my estimate a hunter so I didn't go toward it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCEAB
Back