PEAX Equipment

CO Unit 66. Which season?

lpshunter29

Howdy!

After much contemplation, I've decided to hunt elk in Colorado unit 66 this year, but I'm undecided on which season I should pick.

I have a muzzleloader, rifle, bow, and 4 resident points so I can draw everything except muzzleloader (I still have a 30% chance at that). Does anyone have any input on which season would be the most fun?

This will be my last season in Colorado, and first bull elk hunt so I want to make it the best I can!

Last edited:
First rifle season this year is going to fall October 16-20. With as late as it falls, chances are a lot of bulls will be finished bugling before the first rifle season starts which may make it more difficult to locate a bull. However, with the first rifle season being later, there is more of a chance for snowfall that may push some animals out of the higher country in that unit. Also could make finding fresh sign a little easier.

If you have the points, my choice would be archery or muzzy.

I'd do archery or Muzzy, it's quite a bit easier to find the big bulls when they are with the big cow herds...
First rifle in that unit can be somewhat of a crapshoot, if you are lucky and the weather is warm lots of elk will be up high and easy to find, unfortunately, if the weather gets even moderately bad the bigger bulls take that as the queue to get away from the herds and go to their post-rut holes... probably even more likely this year with the later dates... it can still be pretty reasonable to find raghorns, the success rate is pretty high compared to an OTC unit but be prepared for tough hunting if you are trying for a bigger bull.

Looking at possibly hunting 66 myself this year. Sounds like it is a pretty rugged unit and I need to definitely get into better shape. I've hunted a few other units in CO. Anybody have any thoughts on how it compares as far as steep/rugged compared to 22, 71, 551?

Parts of it was very steep/rugged to average terrain. It is probably similar to unit 71 around Telluride. I would recommend archery season if your a good bow hunter.

I'm going to put in for 66 as well this year, the first rifle though. I wanted to get up there this weekend and look at it before the draw but a nasty snowstorm moved in on us. Fortunately, I live here so I can work on getting in the right shape and scout a good bit but this is my first Elk hunt and on the steep learning curve. I've looked at a lot of units and only have 1 Resident point and this one seemed the best unless anyone has some better options that would be willing to share. I'll probably be on my own but if anyone is scouting that area this spring or summer that has some experience I'd love to learn something, please shoot me a note.

I only hunt in muzzleloader and would suggest that but if you only have a 30% chance for a tag i'd hunt archery. What are the odds for archery? I'm too lazy to look it up?

I’d def do muzzy even if it takes one more yr to draw

Even though it's been 10 years since I hunted 66 during mz season, I have to agree. I hunted it 2 years back to back and had a great hunt the first year and due to weather and hunting pressure, a not so great hunt the second year.

Can anyone with long term experience here tell me if the elk hunting in this unit has changed much in 10 years?
I've wanted to return but have received mixed reports on the elk herds here.

I went ahead and put in for it so we will see. I'm going to head up there and take a look around next weekend depending on the weather. Supposed to get some decent snow again this week.

First rifle season this year is going to fall October 16-20. With as late as it falls, chances are a lot of bulls will be finished bugling before the first rifle season starts which may make it more difficult to locate a bull. However, with the first rifle season being later, there is more of a chance for snowfall that may push some animals out of the higher country in that unit. Also could make finding fresh sign a little easier.

If you have the points, my choice would be archery or muzzy.
Agreed, this unit is really two different worlds. The high country is amazing but it can present it's challenges if you are not prepared. I would work out two plans. One for being up high if there is no early snow, trails, camp locations and view points (glassing locations). And two, the lower elevations plan. Sometimes the early snow is no issue and the elk stay up top, but other years, for whatever reason they all drop off the top and head for the low ground. So be prepared for both. Again trails, access and camp locations. And be prepared for cold, the Gunnison basin is famous for below zero temps.

I had a 1st rifle tag last year and hunted the far west side, hiked south to get at and glass above timberline, with the warm mild fall last year I was sure the elk would be high, no such luck, hiked back to the truck and went north into the dark timber/meadows and got into elk right away. Missed a nice bull but tagged out on a raghorn. Looking to hopefully pick up a 2nd or 3rd rifle leftover if anyone has some input on what that hunt is like compared to 1st rifle I would share notes!

Back