CO Unit 66. Which season?

Hunted 66 last year. Beatle kill is getting worse. Elk stayed in the timber with the drought last year.

My 12 year old drew the only NR youth cow muzzy tag awarded in 66 this year (the only one applied for too, apparently). I’m trying to decide if we should plan to backpack into wilderness areas for a few days at a time or make day trips from the truck.

I would assume that is going to be weather dependent, ie get high and into wilderness if weather stays good but stay lower elevation and closer to the truck if it happens to snow.

If anyone has some words of wisdom I’d be all ears! Also accepting leads on black powder 😂😳

My 12 year old drew the only NR youth cow muzzy tag awarded in 66 this year (the only one applied for too, apparently). I’m trying to decide if we should plan to backpack into wilderness areas for a few days at a time or make day trips from the truck.

I would assume that is going to be weather dependent, ie get high and into wilderness if weather stays good but stay lower elevation and closer to the truck if it happens to snow.

If anyone has some words of wisdom I’d be all ears! Also accepting leads on black powder 😂😳
I’ve never hunted 66, but my experience with central CO elk in Sept is that you need to be hunting in that 10,000 to 12,000 elevation range. I doubt you’ll get enough winter weather in that muzzleloader season to move elk down significantly.

Last edited:
Awesome, I’m not sure I’ve ever even been at that elevation so it is sure to be a memorable experience! In that case I’d probably try to avoid return trips to the truck camp every night. Thanks

Awesome, I’m not sure I’ve ever even been at that elevation so it is sure to be a memorable experience! In that case I’d probably try to avoid return trips to the truck camp every night. Thanks
Yeah I wouldn’t try to drag a 12-year-old (or a 25-year-old) back to the trailhead every day if you’re hunting September elk in a unit like 66. Generally speaking, those central CO elk in September really like that edge habitat at timberline. Good feed at that elevation in the late summer/early fall. Then they descend to darker timber to bed for the day. Getting high is key in my opinion. Trying to do it right from the trailhead will require long hikes with elevation gain in the dark probably for consecutive days. Not a recipe for success for anyone, let alone a kid.

10-4 we will plan accordingly. On past hunts with growing boys I’ve wondered if it was physically possible to carry enough food to get more than a day away from the truck. Looks like we’ll get a chance to put that theory to the test. Exciting!

Can any locals please give a weather report for this summer? Drought map looks like just on the edge of normal and being pretty dry.

We’ve added a leftover muzzy deer tag to the menu so our plans will shift accordingly. Exactly how they will shift, I still need to figure out. Hoping to make a scouting trip in the next two weeks.

^^ I’m also curious about rainfall. ^^

Back