Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

CO unit 44 Otc 2nd or 3rd rifle

Blackbear60

I'm trying to get a plan together for this year and was thinking of trying unit 44 in the 2nd or 3rd rifle season but I am open to suggestions. Does anyone have any input on this unit or suggestions for others?

Thanks

My suggestion is find another OTC unit. I’ve spent time deer hunting in 44 and one other OTC elk unit. It was night and day the amount of elk we saw between the two.

I'm trying to get a plan together for this year and was thinking of trying unit 44 in the 2nd or 3rd rifle season but I am open to suggestions. Does anyone have any input on this unit or suggestions for others?

Thanks
You're asking a lot! You said YOU are putting a "plan" together for 2024...
Okay! Without being too rude, it almost sounds like you want HT to put your plan together. Most of us that hunt an area have spend hours, days and weeks escouting and boots on the ground scouting a particular unit. I suggest you trying doing that a bit. Unit 44 is close to I-25...easy access for the front range. I could make other comments, but I'll leave them alone. So Blackbear, put your big boy pants on and put in some effort on you own before asking this forum for advice. The harder YOU work at it by scouting yourself the sooner you can find your own personal honey hole. Good luck my friend!!

Thanks
What you wanna know? My parents live in the unit, I grew up in the unit.

It has elk, decent access, varied terrain and had gone limited for archery due to population declines.

Okay! Without being too rude, it almost sounds like you want HT to put your plan together. Most of us that hunt an area have spend hours, days and weeks escouting and boots on the ground scouting a particular unit. I suggest you trying doing that a bit. Unit 44 is close to I-25...easy access for the front range. I could make other comments, but I'll leave them alone. So Blackbear, put your big boy pants on and put in some effort on you own before asking this forum for advice. The harder YOU work at it by scouting yourself the sooner you can find your own personal honey hole. Good luck my friend!!
Sorry to strike a nerve, not asking for honey holes just how to go about "escouting" hard to get boots on the ground from Virginia. Never elk hunted before and was really just trying to figure out where to start with research. But looks to me like you got a honey hole in there somewhere.

Last edited:
Sorry to strike a nerve, not asking for honey holes just how to go about "escouting" hard to get boots on the ground from Virginia. Never elk hunted before and was really just trying to figure out where to start with research. But looks to me like you got a honey hole in there somewhere.
Blackbear PM me and I'll share some good info. First, how many hunters, tent camping, trailer or hotel? Rifle OTC ? Any cow hunters, what's your experience, what kind of shape are you guys in? Pack frames? Other unit you may be open to consider in CO.

Hey Blackbear dont want to pee on you corn flakes but like others have said it takes yrs sometimes to get a good area figured out for elk hunting I live in Pa and have just a few places I go and it did take yrs and some $ to get them figured out
Thats why folks wont give it up esp online for a few 1000 to see
And being from Va this will be tougher than you ever thought just to hike and climb at 8000 ft plus above sea level so get into shape you can not train enough
Brought a buddy with me this past yr he did 3 to 4 miles a day with a pack on and after a few days told me even though I told him all yr how hard this was he had no Idea
He loved the trip and is coming back but training even harder this yr

It's I-
I stand corrected...I-70, not I-25. My bad!!

It has elk, decent access, varied terrain and had gone limited for archery due to population declines.
Blackbear....
Looks like Dsnow9 can lead right on in to a sweet spot. I don't live there so perhaps he'll show you a couple honey holes. Be advise, unit 44 has a ton of great mule deer bucks if you have 18 to 21 points for 3rd and 4th season; but, it's fairly easy to get a bull tag because the unit does not have that many elk. The Frying Pan Herd is spread out over three additional units.

Pretty solid starting point

Pro Tip

Tell everybody you're a disabled combat veteran (I recommend a side-gunner of some sort), you love America, and you have a bad back from rescuing some children from a burning building before asking for honey holes.

We're here to help, keep hammering (the keyboard).

Pro Tip

Tell everybody you're a disabled combat veteran (I recommend a side-gunner of some sort), you love America, and you have a bad back from rescuing some children from a burning building before asking for honey holes.

We're here to help, keep hammering (the keyboard).
You forgot, the hunt is for one of your kids.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back